Early packing phase list - What to add, what to take away? | Squat the Planet

Early packing phase list - What to add, what to take away?

Reaction score
I'm currently planning on adopting the tramp/vagrant lifestyle starting around the end of this month, so I figured it'd be a good time to start getting ready by packing. This is the current list of things I was able to assemble based on what I have available right now, but there are still some things I need to make or get my hands on. Sorry for potato quality, once I realized the quality I had already packed it all in the bag perfectly.
6QMfJjd.jpg

This is my gear set up.
  • Things I have:
    • Ziplock Bag 1: 2 undershirts, 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs underwear
    • Ziplock bag 2: Stick of deoderant, toothbrush, razors, floss, toilet paper, small towel
    • Bag 3: Matches, lighters, bottle of dryer lint, various charging cords/wall charger, extra headphones
    • 1 pair work pants
    • 1 pair cargo shorts
    • 2 shirts, 1 polo+1 t-shirt
    • black hooded sweater, leather coat
    • knife, box cutter, multi-tool, small swiss army knife,
    • hatchet
    • knife sharpener
    • main headphones
    • deck of playing cards
    • assorted writing materials+journal+pocket notebook
    • extra belt
    • canteen
    • umbrella
    • reading material
    • flashlight
    • work gloves
    • Bandanas (not pictured)
    • smart phone (used to take the picture)
    • sleeping bag+extra blanket
    • Things I need to add:
    • Dog food/water tupperware
    • Dog leash/rope
    • Various foodstuffs
    • Cookware
    • Things I need to/would like to get:
      • Sewing kit
      • fishing kit
      • tarp/poncho
      • candles
      • maps
      • hat and sunglasses
      • Bigger/different backpack
      • Old laptop
      • Monocular
Is there anything important I'm missing? I'd like to find or make a portable hobo stove, I need to figure out what kind of cookware I should bring (frying pan or pot? what simple foods can I carry with me and easily cook?) Is there anything specific I should bring if I'm bringing my dog? I'd like to get him those dog saddlebags so he can carry the dog food/light supplies. What do I need for an adequate fishing kit so I can catch and cook meals?

Reactions: Jersey cat

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
I believe a hatchet is not necessary. you arent trying to build your fires too big because smoke will give you away and you need to be careful of big fires in the woods. Id leave the hatchet at home also because of you ever get caught its probably gonna look bad as hell. Also make sure your knife is legal in your state. better safe then sorry. One knife is sufficient, you dont need a box cutter knife. I think one belt is okay as well as get a pancho or just nice jacket you dont need an umbrella. You shouldnt bring a laptop, and id say get some extra batteries. Also id say leave the work gloves at home. sounds like your trying to build a house in the woods.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well cool you've put it out there and that is cool.. I'm a long distance bicyclist here so I'm on a different trek. and maybe some of our other traveling people might chime in .

But most important, do search here cause there are so much info here on on the stuff that is packed on hitchhiking/hopping, etc. Enjoy and be safe :)

<edit> It looks like you have done a heck of a lot of thought into this so I hope you get some good thoughts and feedback. Personally I'm a crybaby with a 30 lb plus between backpack and panniers, but that's not all on my back.

Last edited:

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Also id say leave the work gloves at home. sounds like your trying to build a house in the woods.

Meh I like work gloves they come in handy from time to time. For carrying large pieces of wood and heavy dirty stuff. Good for pulling that hot pan outta the fire. Gathering bedding like leaves and pine straw. Not completely necessary but yea. Also ditchable and re-obtained easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikael Runefoot

Pnw Wanderer

Reaction score
Pretty damn good, the only thing i would tell you is to get a diffrent backpack. Try craigslist or goodwill. you can find quite good packs on craigslist for cheap. And lose the hatchet. the knife shall do you good even in the wilderness. You have to remember that you are going to have this pack on your back 80 percent of the time. so if its too heavy or on the edge of being too heavy, you gotta leave some things behind. What form of transportation are you going to use? walking, trains, hitching?

Reactions: Tude

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I'd say get rid of the extra belt, the leather coat, umbrella, Box cutter. I'd say get rid of the shorts unless your going to wear them instead of the pants. Screw the extra blanket its summer time. What do you need dryer lint for? Yea probbly not a good idea to bring a hatchet.

If you bring books be prepared to get rid of them when your done reading them. Also be prepared to ditch some clothes.

Get a bathing suit its summer. B-)
Tarp is a must.
A couple ol' fashion heavy duty garbage bags make good ponchos in a pinch.
If your going to be out in the woods a lot don't worry about a portable stove. Just get a cheap pot or pan.
Oh and soap?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pnw Wanderer
Reaction score
I'd say get rid of the extra belt, the leather coat, umbrella, Box cutter. I'd say get rid of the shorts unless your going to wear them instead of the pants. Screw the extra blanket its summer time. What do you need dryer lint for? Yea probbly not a good idea to bring a hatchet.

If you bring books be prepared to get rid of them when your done reading them. Also be prepared to ditch some clothes.

Get a bathing suit its summer. B-)
Tarp is a must.
A couple ol' fashion heavy duty garbage bags make good ponchos in a pinch.
If your going to be out in the woods a lot don't worry about a portable stove. Just get a cheap pot or pan.
Oh and soap?
I want to be prepared to travel for a long time, and the coat has sentimental value so I want to bring it on my journey. The extra blanket is because the sleeping bag is ridiculously thin on its own. Swimming trunks are a good idea. Dryer lint is for emergency fire starter, hatchet is ditched. Dune is going to be traded away without a doubt, it's my favorite book but I want people to read it. Survival guide is something that's gonna stick around until I have it memorized (whenever that is).

Dont forget firstaid either, even if its not a whole firstaid kit. bring the basics such as bandage and antibacterial ointment and maybe some ibuprofen. Dont want to get stuck with a cut and have it get infected.
I have a roll of bandages and some medical tape in one of the bags, but I know it's insufficient. I intend on getting a small first aid kit without a doubt.

Found another backpack in my garage after looking more thoroughly. It's a fancy backpacking backpack with an internal frame and everything. Here it is packed with the updated gear.
VRoPbFo.jpg

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
A leather can be bulky tho I know its sentiments may want you to keep. It might be better to keep it in a safe place if you have one. Also don't forget you will acquire new things as you go along. I rock a 45 degree sleeping bag all year round. When I need a blanket I just get one. Also a tarp adds a lot of insulation and doubles as a ground cover.

Pnw Wanderer

Reaction score
There you go dude, your set. That backpack will make a huge difference, the frame will take alot of the load off your shoulders. And if you didnt know how to pack the bag i will give you some tips. You want light things on the bottom and top and heavy things in the middle and close to your back. also put things you will use alot in the outer pockets. When everything is situated pull all the straps as tight as you can get them.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
  • Things I have:
    • Floss - Put that in your sewing kit instead of thread.
    • Matches, lighters - Matches get wet, and both are limited in duration. I like my magnesium fire starter
    • Extra headphones - If you plan to head into the woods, your music player battery will die before your headphones, and if you're in the city, you can always buy new ones when they break. So why bother?
    • knife, box cutter, multi-tool, small swiss army knife - A good multi-tool does all 4, and is less of an hassle
    • extra belt - Rope makes a good belt and is more poyvalent (like for your dog leash)

• What simple foods can I carry with me and easily cook? - Rice, pastas, and banik are easy to cook, requires minimal seasoning, and can be found for cheap when bought in bulk.
  • Is there anything specific I should bring if I'm bringing my dog? - Poop bags!
  • What do I need for an adequate fishing kit so I can catch and cook meals? - I suck at fishing, so I wouldn't depend on fishing myself, but i've seen people use nothing but fishing line around a stick, a weight (like a chuck of wood) and a fishing hook (keep those in your sewing kit so they don't poke holes everywhere) and insects as bait[/QUOTE]

kecleon

Reaction score
If you're gonna seriously be in the woods I would take the axe if not don't.

A 6 shirts a sweater and a leather jacket? It's summer and 6 shirts is way excessive. I'd change the cargo shorts for swim shorts, they dry fast and you get ones that look like normal shorts.

Umbrella meh they always break.

^ Magnesium fire starter is just not as good as a lighter in a zip lock bag. Fair enough as a backup but a lighter wins in 99.999% of situations. A bic has 3000 lights, probably the same or more than your mag fire starter.

IMO take a bivi or tarp but you can usually find naturally dry places if you don't mind roughing it a little.

Reactions: Zbart1108

Icecoffee2

Reaction score
I'm currently planning on adopting the tramp/vagrant lifestyle starting around the end of this month, so I figured it'd be a good time to start getting ready by packing. This is the current list of things I was able to assemble based on what I have available right now, but there are still some things I need to make or get my hands on. Sorry for potato quality, once I realized the quality I had already packed it all in the bag perfectly.
View attachment 22860
This is my gear set up.
  • Things I have:
    • Ziplock Bag 1: 2 undershirts, 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs underwear
    • Ziplock bag 2: Stick of deoderant, toothbrush, razors, floss, toilet paper, small towel
    • Bag 3: Matches, lighters, bottle of dryer lint, various charging cords/wall charger, extra headphones
    • 1 pair work pants
    • 1 pair cargo shorts
    • 2 shirts, 1 polo+1 t-shirt
    • black hooded sweater, leather coat
    • knife, box cutter, multi-tool, small swiss army knife,
    • hatchet
    • knife sharpener
    • main headphones
    • deck of playing cards
    • assorted writing materials+journal+pocket notebook
    • extra belt
    • canteen
    • umbrella
    • reading material
    • flashlight
    • work gloves
    • Bandanas (not pictured)
    • smart phone (used to take the picture)
    • sleeping bag+extra blanket
    • Things I need to add:
    • Dog food/water tupperware
    • Dog leash/rope
    • Various foodstuffs
    • Cookware
    • Things I need to/would like to get:
      • Sewing kit
      • fishing kit
      • tarp/poncho
      • candles
      • maps
      • hat and sunglasses
      • Bigger/different backpack
      • Old laptop
      • Monocular
Is there anything important I'm missing? I'd like to find or make a portable hobo stove, I need to figure out what kind of cookware I should bring (frying pan or pot? what simple foods can I carry with me and easily cook?) Is there anything specific I should bring if I'm bringing my dog? I'd like to get him those dog saddlebags so he can carry the dog food/light supplies. What do I need for an adequate fishing kit so I can catch and cook meals?
You need a small shovel, cat holes, dump hatchet and sharpen one edge of shovel for firewood/protection, dogs carry his food and water, size of dog dictates how much he can carry

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads