Don't Go Back to Rockville

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a total newbie and not very punk at all (see the title I chose!), but I intend to hitchhike to Atlanta for my 25th birthday. I found this place searching for info on the late DigiHitch and have been lurking for awhile. I decided to register so I could ask for help and maybe put up photos from my trip.

I am a "recent" college graduate (Dec 2008) and haven't been successful in the real world. I'm living with my mother in Rockville, MD and I'm getting really tired of it. I majored in history and minored in studio arts, and have an interest in both. I want to be a writer but I feel like I need to have a life before I start writing about life. I have gone camping before but never backpacking, and I hitchhiked once in desperation to get to job training (didn't work out). I am crazy, but what do I have to lose but my chains?

Reaction score
Major setback: the money I was going to use for traveling hasn't arrived yet, and I think I messed up. It's a joint account so I need my mom's help. I've told her I'm going on a trip, but not about the hitchhiking part. Damnit damnit damnit.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
NIH is closeby, maybe you could be a lab rat for money. The DC area also has a good amount of woods, but unless you're good at tracking, I'd be very careful about where I'd camp because of the number of people living there. Next time you go for a walk, check out the woods and think about where you would camp and look for signs that others have camped (not just went drinking) around the place.

Reaction score
Well, I'm in Hotlanta now. Hitchhiked to Richmond (3 rides, 2 female 1 male), tried to go to a really cheap hotel on the outskirts but had no money, and I camped out with a homebum in the woods during a pouring rainstorm. What an adventure. Next day the check cleared (why didn't I delay my trip? Stupid me.) so I took a cab to the train station and took a train to Atlanta (Amtrak, not hopping). Now I'm in a hostel. Looking forward to sleeping in a real bed tonight.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads