dog friendly indoor spaces? | Squat the Planet

dog friendly indoor spaces?

ElNino

Reaction score
Have you found any dog friendly places on your travels? Bars, restaurants, coffee shops, anything else? Where at? Did the just have a patio or could you take the fur balls inside with you?

D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah a lot of outdoor stores allow dogs. Lowes and home depot supposively doesn't because of an incident in Cali. But some might still. I always look for places where I can eat outside with the dude or tie him outside and then come out

K

Kim Chee

This place is as pet-friendly as it gets, their slogan says it all:
image.jpg

http://www.petco.com/

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: urchin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
my ex and i would go to bars all the time with her dog, she was super well behaved though. i don't remember any bars that denied us on the east side of austin...

MFB

Reaction score
When it's hot I'll often bring my dog into various places (she's very well behaved) and if anybody says anything I says she's a service dog...I have seizures and she detects them prior... -totally untrue but super effective. Surprisingly more often that not no one says anything to me. I know in CO you don't have to carry your dogs service papers in public; there was a big lawsuit a few years ago for a cop erroneously kicking some guy out of a fair for not having his papers for his service dog. I think it's similliar in most states but never had the need to research it.

D

Deleted member 2626

What papers? I've never been asked for papers, just a tag has sufficed with my dogs pack. And I've taken public transportation across the country a few times.

MFB

Reaction score
I was referring to certification/registration for service dogs...which I knew were mostly scams that give you a piece of paper that means nothing.
As I said I've never researched it as I had no need. Just did some quick perusing...I had wrongly assumed there was a federal or state agency that 'registered/certified' service animals...which there is not. Only programs that certify you and your animal completed their training.

Under federal law, the americans with disabilities act, no certification is needed. Any dog can be a service dog, so long as their owner has a disability.
The law also prevents business owners and public servants from asking any questions other than "if it is a service dog?" and "what task does he/she perform?"

Good to know. :)

Reactions: LawrenceofSuburbia
D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah exactly. Had a greyhound driver in Rayon NM ask what the confirmation number was and I said I don't know these are his tags. He warned me that any trouble and he'd boot us. I haven't really used the tags in sometime, being that I really pride myself on absolute truth and worry of what if shit did go sour. .

MFB

Reaction score
Blaaa...greyhound. That's a shitty thing for the driver to say considering he drives for greyhound...Id be willing to bet your dog was one of the cleaner, more intelligent passengers on that bus.

D

Deleted member 2626

Oh yeah he's about as intelligent as a dog can get besides guarding his food from the hand that feeds. He even one time jumped on a Amtrak conductor in excitement and we got through that too without trouble or getting kicked off

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Truthfully almost any bar/gas stations in Pocatello, Idaho are dog friendly.

I believe hearing that Sox Place, which is a drop-in center in Denver is dog friendly. Haven't personally been there, though.

Alchemy Coffee in Salt Lake City, Utah is super dog friendly.

The Wooden Shoe Bookstore in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania can be dog friendly.

That's all of the specific places I can think of, at the moment.

Usagi

Reaction score
Most places are "dog friendly" if the dog is well behaved. Like the other person said all you have to do is claim it's a service dog. You can get away with bringing just about any animal anywhere if you claim it's a service animal. You don't have to be blind or anything. People with social anxiety can have animals just because. There was even a woman that brought a pony on a flight.

In my experience if the dog isn't being an asshole most people will not say anything. Same goes for most rules like "no shirt, no shoes, no service" and "no smoking". If you do whatever and don't draw attention to the fact you're doing it most people won't say anything. I generally try to follow any posted rules though because I don't want to shit the place up for the next guy. But bringing a dog in is one of those things where I wouldn't ask first. Just do it and see what happens.

The anti-dog rules exist mostly because people that have no business having an animal would bring it everywhere if they could. I shake my head every time I see a small woman getting dragged down the street by her large pet pitbull. Don't keep animals around that you can't handle. If the dog is walking you then you have a problem. I've kept pitbulls and I know they can be trained. There is no excuse for having a badly trained dog like that in public. It doesn't matter if it's on a leash when it's pulling on it constantly and the owner is doing nothing to correct the behavior. I don't care if your dog is a "good boy". If he's growling at me, giving me the evil eye, and I watched him drag you 300 yards through a park I don't trust you or it. I know better. I know he can yank it out of your frail weak hands any time he wants and lunge for my neck. I don't want him near my dog. My dog is well behaved and I'm not about to watch it get bit because yours in an asshole.

Rule of thumb: If you have a well behaved dog take it wherever. If the business owner takes issue with it leave. 99% of places won't care.

Usagi

Reaction score
Motel 6 are dog friendly, for those motel moments. No extra charges etc

Most Hotels allow pets. They might ask you for a small deposit on top of the normal rate. But usually they return it after they verify you didn't let your animal piss all over the carpet. It has been awhile but I think it cost me $50 or so to have my dog stay with me in a hotel. It wasn't a upscale place but it wasn't a shithole flea bag hotel either.

It isn't unusual for people to travel with animals so most travel businesses will accommodate you. Your animal must be well behaved though. If you bring a bunch of loud asshole dogs that piss everywhere on everything expect to be treated badly and pay for damages.

I try not to travel with animals if I can help it. It's stressful on them. Hiking, walking, and riding in the truck is different. I've had some that liked boating. I've never put any of mine through the stress of flying. I had one dog that was okay with hotels when he was young but started getting very stressed out about it when he got older. I stopped taking him when the vet suggested I dope him up on xanax every trip. The xanax made it mean and I didn't want to make him into an addict. He's fine at home when he's got a familiar bed and room to run around. He likes short trips in the truck but now that he's old we have to stop too often to do long trips together. He can't hold his mud and water like he used to.

Gin

Reaction score
Most places are "dog friendly" if the dog is well behaved. Like the other person said all you have to do is claim it's a service dog. You can get away with bringing just about any animal anywhere if you claim it's a service animal. You don't have to be blind or anything. People with social anxiety can have animals just because. There was even a woman that brought a pony on a flight.

In my experience if the dog isn't being an asshole most people will not say anything. Same goes for most rules like "no shirt, no shoes, no service" and "no smoking". If you do whatever and don't draw attention to the fact you're doing it most people won't say anything. I generally try to follow any posted rules though because I don't want to shit the place up for the next guy. But bringing a dog in is one of those things where I wouldn't ask first. Just do it and see what happens.

The anti-dog rules exist mostly because people that have no business having an animal would bring it everywhere if they could. I shake my head every time I see a small woman getting dragged down the street by her large pet pitbull. Don't keep animals around that you can't handle. If the dog is walking you then you have a problem. I've kept pitbulls and I know they can be trained. There is no excuse for having a badly trained dog like that in public. It doesn't matter if it's on a leash when it's pulling on it constantly and the owner is doing nothing to correct the behavior. I don't care if your dog is a "good boy". If he's growling at me, giving me the evil eye, and I watched him drag you 300 yards through a park I don't trust you or it. I know better. I know he can yank it out of your frail weak hands any time he wants and lunge for my neck. I don't want him near my dog. My dog is well behaved and I'm not about to watch it get bit because yours in an asshole.

Rule of thumb: If you have a well behaved dog take it wherever. If the business owner takes issue with it leave. 99% of places won't care.

Not any animal can be a Service Animal. Only dogs & some mini horses grandfathered in. Because the average blind person goes thru an average of 7 guide dogs in a lifetime. So they started using minis cuz they live 30yrs. Dog owners have ruined it for legitimate service dogs with their yappy Chihuahuas, vicious Pits & untrained dogs that shit & pee in restaurants. I usually have no issues w/my dog.
Any animal can be ESA-Emotional support Animal, but they're no longer welcome on planes & never had Service Dog Rights except housing

Gin

Reaction score
Most Hotels allow pets. They might ask you for a small deposit on top of the normal rate. But usually they return it after they verify you didn't let your animal piss all over the carpet. It has been awhile but I think it cost me $50 or so to have my dog stay with me in a hotel. It wasn't a upscale place but it wasn't a shithole flea bag hotel either.

It isn't unusual for people to travel with animals so most travel businesses will accommodate you. Your animal must be well behaved though. If you bring a bunch of loud asshole dogs that piss everywhere on everything expect to be treated badly and pay for damages.

I try not to travel with animals if I can help it. It's stressful on them. Hiking, walking, and riding in the truck is different. I've had some that liked boating. I've never put any of mine through the stress of flying. I had one dog that was okay with hotels when he was young but started getting very stressed out about it when he got older. I stopped taking him when the vet suggested I dope him up on xanax every trip. The xanax made it mean and I didn't want to make him into an addict. He's fine at home when he's got a familiar bed and room to run around. He likes short trips in the truck but now that he's old we have to stop too often to do long trips together. He can't hold his mud and water like he used to.

Somebody asked about dog friendly spaces so I said Motel 6. I rarely have issue w/my dog. My dogs have manners

Garagetroll

Reaction score
Eureka California there’s a bar called the shanty that allows dogs they can be in the bar or out back in their enclosed patio area! one of my favorite bars I’ve been this time on the road

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads