Does anyone here have ADHD (the wanderlust gene)? | Squat the Planet

Does anyone here have ADHD (the wanderlust gene)?

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Might save time if you ask "Does anyone here not have ADHD?"

I sure do, and plead guilty to all you ask about.

trashswag86

Reaction score
For some people ADHD manifests outwardly, whereas for others it's more mental. (Sometimes called ADD, though there's no official diagnosis with that name) As in, the mental state is hyperactive, while also being unfocussed.

My sister was diagnosed, and I likely have it as well.

Sometimes you'll hear people talk about "hyperfocussing", generally as this supposed sorta super-power that ADHD people can sometimes attain. But this ability is not *at will*. Hyperfocussing only comes when there's intense interest in the subject. Many purple believe ADHD involves a lack of dopamine, which is the "reward neurotransmitter". So it's maybe harder for us to feel rewarded for focus on something that doesn't have us intensely involved.... Or, this is how I've understood it.

My sister thinks that hyperfocussing isn't all super powers though, however. Someone with ADHD might obsessively focus on something that's totally out of their control, or what have you.

Anyway, this is what I've picked up on the subject.

roughdraft

Reaction score
y so sassy??? i didnt mean anything bad.

nah i didn't mean to sass on you, i might just suck at getting my message across online. i don't mean anything bad either though.

i mean like....i have no faith in ADHD diagnosis... i think probably ADHD and eccentrism mix well though... or they blend often

D

Deleted member 13433

I don't know what I have, but I just tried to get the whole assembly line at work to walk off the job, rather unsuccessfully.... but I still walked out to set an example - incredible as this sounds - in protest of the Union's refusal to stick up for the workers [long story... legit reason too]

Welcome to S.T.P.

I like your political leanings, in the mid 1980' s there was a strong rumour within the NY Conservative Party [*back when they were more like Libertarians ....] that Connecticut was in secret thinking the same thing :) :)

I'll be back here later, my cat is meowing sooooooo happy to see me home early, and my dog is going to comfort me with lots of licks once I am back downstairs.

Anarchy Peace FREEDOM and Love......

Big George and Loki the Dog.

trashswag86

Reaction score
Do have something more specific in mind with "eccentric"? Cause the dictionary just says unconventional or strange.

That's everyone on this site. Idk what percentage of us have ADHD, but 100% of us could be called eccentric.

So, Idk, if you wanna tell us what you mean by eccentric, that might help.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Larkspur

Reaction score
I imagine you mean unconventional interests besides the way we travel. Like, I see you're into botany.

Yes, ADHD/ADD manifests differently in every person.

What I mean is that there is a pattern in ADHD that people can be eccentric such as my ADHD biology teacher who was a real weirdo but girls crushed on him, or Aurora the singer, or Bjork or Kate Bush, mad scientists, Albert Einstein, nutty professors/absent-minded professors. (None were diagnosed, but there is consensus Einstein had it by psychologists)

trashswag86

Reaction score
Yes, ADHD/ADD manifests differently in every person.

What I mean is that there is a pattern in ADHD that people can be eccentric such as my ADHD biology teacher who was a real weirdo but girls crushed on him, or Aurora the singer, or Bjork or Kate Bush, mad scientists, Albert Einstein, nutty professors/absent-minded professors. (None were diagnosed, but there is consensus Einstein had it by psychologists)

Maybe Geek is a better word, than eccentric, for what you're describing.
I wish I was a geek. I'm way to unmotivated to qualify.

• Haha

trashswag86

Reaction score
Depression plus add, or paranoia plus add, anxiety plus add -a whole lot of bad mixers could be come up with, and none of them are gonna turn anyone into a mad scientist.

Oh shit, another crazy thing I came across is that people with ADD can focus better when under stress, and unbeknownst to themselves will end up with habits that lead to stress *so that they can focus*!... Self medicating on stress. Hella weird.

• Useful

Larkspur

Reaction score
Depression plus add, or paranoia plus add, anxiety plus add -a whole lot of bad mixers could be come up with, and none of them are gonna turn anyone into a mad scientist.

Oh shit, another crazy thing I came across is that people with ADD can focus better when under stress, and unbeknownst to themselves will end up with habits that lead to stress *so that they can focus*!... Self medicating on stress. Hella weird.
Hey that is absolutely true. Also, mad scientists engage crazy out of the box ideas for self stimulation. Others go into high contact sports. Not everybody does the same thing..

Reactions: trashswag86

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads