DIY gear- crochet/ knit/ ETC | Squat the Planet

DIY gear- crochet/ knit/ ETC

HoboinaTux

Reaction score
I have been working on crochet scarves, socks, and beanies. Mittens are my next project. I've never tried to sell any of it ive made in the past, i have however used them for warmth. Pretty sweet feeling when something you made from yarn is keeping you warm!

Does anyone specifically crochet clothing and if so would you be willing to share with us what it is that you can make and how you do it?

How about other forms of producing functional clothing?

Has anyone any experience selling clothing you have made?

<3 <3 <3

Question Everything

Reactions: MJhitcher

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
My wife occasionally makes a buck on the side selling knitted stuff at craft fairs. That tends to be more fashiony stuff as opposed to functional. Shawls and big, floofy scarves she knits with her hands (as opposed to needles) sell the best.

Crocheting is a good idea as a money-maker because it's so quick and easy. Maybe this kind of thing (nausea trigger warning) would sell? They'd be eye-catching spread out on the sidewalk and they wouldn't take more than an hour to make. I bet you'd move mad weight.

HoboinaTux

Reaction score
I've actually thought about those little animals and stuff before. I do not know what you are talking about with the puffy things though. Pictures?

Question Everything

MJhitcher

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response - I just joined haha.

I've been compiling a list of crap to load into my pack when I head out next year for a rather extended trip, and my crochet hooks and a ball or two of yarn (depending on what, in the end, I can actually fit in my bag) have made the list as my "personal/sanity" items (along with my journal ofc - can't live without that). I've never sold anything but it's a really great idea as it can help while away the hours on a boring day and people just eat up handmade stuff. In case you've never tried them before, things like the amigurumi animals in the picture above can kind of hard to get right - I'm no good at them in any case, and I would just stick with simpler things like scarves and beanies. They take no time at all, they still sell, and if you get multi-colored yarn or make a simple pattern with two different colors of yarn, it's more fun for you and more fun for the person who gets it. Good luck and safe travels!

A

AlwaysLost

I have been working on crochet scarves, socks, and beanies. Mittens are my next project. I've never tried to sell any of it ive made in the past, i have however used them for warmth. Pretty sweet feeling when something you made from yarn is keeping you warm!

Does anyone specifically crochet clothing and if so would you be willing to share with us what it is that you can make and how you do it?

How about other forms of producing functional clothing?

Has anyone any experience selling clothing you have made?

<3 <3 <3

Question Everything

I had my wife outfit me with a wool hat, and wool gauntlets. She also made me a scarf but I just hate scarves so I go with a polyester face shield instead.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I cut sleeves from hoodies and sweaters to make skull caps. Just finished sewing up an assassins Creed inspired hood to add to a long gothic straight jacket trench coat. Made the hood from the legs of an old pair of jeans.

But what I really want to get into is cutting cloth from discarded couches to make clothing. I also want to try to find a way to make a large brim hat out of some old sturdy plastic covered in fabric.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads