DIY Backpack Kit

H

Hlessil

The other day I was looking through something on here... it was this website that sold DIY backpacks, and quilts, and other traveling stuff. the DIY backpack was only like fifteen bucks, and I really wanted it, but i can't remember the site... does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lint

Reaction score
I know where Widerstand found that website...heh heh!

As posted, Ray Jardine (http://www.ray-way.com) has some great designs for gear and I have made some of his stuff. Fucking DIY, and ultralight weight to boot!

Even though most of his designs are for the ounce counting, ultralight weight backpacker, the message is for anyone interested in distancing themselves from consumer driven bullshit. You can make your own gear, better than the companies who mass market it to the "outdoors people", and at a fraction of the cost.

Ray's website sells plans for these projects, but you might be able to find a copy of his book "Beyond Backpacking" that has all the basic plans for tarps/packs/quilts included. Simply subsitute heavier, tougher fabric for his backpack design and you got a rad tote for hauling all your goodies, while strong enough to survive the ballast. Even if you use thick Cordura fabric it will still be lighter/more functional than a store bought pack. If you have access to a sewing machine, you're set. If you don't, go shoplift something and use it to trade for the services of someone who can. (Thanks Donna!)

I have a version of his ultralight weight pack and carry it all over america, but I wouldn't catch out with it; too wimpy for anything but hiking. Soon I'll be making the perfect non-hiking traveling pack-perfect for me! Thick Cordura instead of 1.9 ounce nylon! And fuck that tiny Swiss army rubberized bag...

Lint

Reaction score
I know where Widerstand found that website...heh heh!

As posted, Ray Jardine (http://www.ray-way.com) has some great designs for gear and I have made some of his stuff. Fucking DIY, and ultralight weight to boot!

Even though most of his designs are for the ounce counting, ultralight weight backpacker, the message is for anyone interested in distancing themselves from consumer driven bullshit. You can make your own gear, better than the companies who mass market it to the "outdoors people", and at a fraction of the cost.

Ray's website sells plans for these projects, but you might be able to find a copy of his book "Beyond Backpacking" that has all the basic plans for tarps/packs/quilts included. Simply subsitute heavier, tougher fabric for his backpack design and you got a rad tote for hauling all your goodies, while strong enough to survive the ballast. Even if you use thick Cordura fabric it will still be lighter/more functional than a store bought pack. If you have access to a sewing machine, you're set. If you don't, go shoplift something and use it to trade for the services of someone who can. (Thanks Donna!)

I have a version of his ultralight weight pack and carry it all over america, but I wouldn't catch out with it; too wimpy for anything but hiking. Soon I'll be making the perfect non-hiking traveling pack-perfect for me! Thick Cordura instead of 1.9 ounce nylon! And fuck that tiny Swiss army rubberized bag...

C

Crazycoon

Wait the fuck a minute, DIY.... KIT???? Money???? what the fuck! dosent that scrap the point of diy? to buy a fucking kit? Is it just me or does that sound contradicory.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
I'm with Coon on this one... I thought the same thing while checkin ray's site. but hey, think of it as baby steps. might slowly convert a yuppie REI motherfucker into a hardcore DIY'er... a kit this time, but designs his/her own shit next time.

Lint

Reaction score
Ah yes, can see your opinion that buying a kit degrades the DIY ethic, but here's the thing. When you buy Ray's kits, you're paying for fabric mostly. His instructions are priceless, but if you go to a fabric store and buy JUST the fabric, the cost is almost identical. Having all the correct fabrics without having to do the homework to hunt down a supplier, and excellent instructions for no extra cost? Oh yea, no doubt about it.

One could definately sew something like a quilt without any instructions, but after learning the tips and tricks Ray learned from all his experience taking these quilts on 4 thru hikes across america, I was glad to have some guidance in the construction of mine. But fuck, this isn't an ad for Jardine's site. Go buy the fabric/insulation somewhere, pop a beer, and make your own style quilt. Whatever you make, it will probably be better than the cookie cutter shit on the market! Yeah!

H

Hlessil

plus, you can get your own fabric and just buy the dvd for guidelines if you really wanted...

but its a lot cheaper than going all out and buying a backpack backpack.. its only like sixty bucks i think

M

Mouse

unless you're raising the sheep and spinning the wool and dying the fabric and making the thread and molding the needles and making the paper and drawing the pattern and making the scissors and cutting the fabric and making the buttons and all that shit, it's not 100% DIY.

is that how it's supposed to be?

never will be.

don't be so damned critical.

sewing up your own pack seems a lot better than buying one that's pre made to me. despite to fact you're buying the pattern and directions, you are still fabricating the final product.

M

Mouse

unless you're raising the sheep and spinning the wool and dying the fabric and making the thread and molding the needles and making the paper and drawing the pattern and making the scissors and cutting the fabric and making the buttons and all that shit, it's not 100% DIY.

is that how it's supposed to be?

never will be.

don't be so damned critical.

sewing up your own pack seems a lot better than buying one that's pre made to me. despite to fact you're buying the pattern and directions, you are still fabricating the final product.

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Wait the fuck a minute, DIY.... KIT???? Money???? what the fuck! dosent that scrap the point of diy? to buy a fucking kit? Is it just me or does that sound contradicory.

mhm! DO IT YOURSELF... nuff said.

DCLXVI

Reaction score
These DIY backpacks and those compression packs look great. I think I'll gather some cash and order both sometime soon. I've got a nice hiking pack already that I shelled out a good amount to get, but it couldn't hurt to have more options, and selling them to recover the 15/10 dollars spent wouldn't be difficult.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads