Disconnecting from a over connected world | Squat the Planet

Disconnecting from a over connected world

kelz

Reaction score
Smart phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, iwatches, gps, it never ends. Everyday on the train I am the only person not staring at a phone or with headphones on ignoring the world. At a large family gathering this past weekend every person there was at some point glued to their phones or ipads checked social media or texting other people. When did we become so connected digitally but so disconnected with the world around us, the real world? Yes I own a phone, a basic one, no internet browser or apps on it. It stays off unless I need to make a call. Yes I own a ipad, i use it to browse the internet but I limit myself to 1 hour a day to a max of 5hrs per week. I dont take it anywhere, it stays at home, and I could definitely live without it. I didnt purchase it, was a xmas gift from my mother who doesnt understand that I dont need to stay constantly digitally connected like everyone else. I dont have any social media accounts and I only use email to sign up for a couple of websites I use including STP. How many people here feel the same and get irked when theyre walking down the street and every other person you pass is hunched over staring at their device of choice? Is it just me?

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
You're not alone in your sentiments-

modern-world-caricature-illustrations-steve-cutts-7.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Odin and kelz
D

Deleted member 2626

I am overly disgusted too. I recently dropped my data per month bull shit, picked up a trac flip dinosaur phone and use a smartphone from a few years and use only WiFi. Even me, someone who enjoys disconnection and so forth still get tid bits of thought if I could just look this up or look at a map to help me out. I'm glad I can't though. I wrote one time that our forefathers and the mountain men would be disgusted at our ease and laziness.

D

Deleted member 2626

And like you said. If I find.myself scanning I turn the fucker off. They are great tools for the road and everyday survival but this constant addiction junkie zombie garbage disgusts me more and more

Psylock1045

Reaction score
I'm uncomfortable around other people so the music to ignore the world around me is a freakin life saver. I'd have panic attacks all the time if I didn't have music to distract me.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
as the person that runs this website i'm obviously biased, but i don't think technology is a bad thing, quite the opposite in fact. the role of technology in your life depends on the wielder, not the tool. the fact is that stupid people were stupid people even before computers and cell phones came around. those same people you're complaining about were just reading trashy magazines and doing other just as useless things. the fact that you have a specific object to focus on (cell phones, etc) doesn't change the fact that most people are sheep and always were.

kelz

Reaction score
I dont hate technology, I find it useful for getting knowledge out there would otherwise be hard to attain. And to connect with certain people and groups. But people take way beyond extreme. And I totally agree with you Matt, maybe its just more noticable now to me. It just drives me crazy to see everyone so zoned out and not in tune with the world and life around them

Reactions: Matt Derrick

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
well.. if everyone who built technological items was paid a fair wage, they'd be hella more expensive..
possibly less ubiquitous..

content would be less

hardware would be kept longer, & possibly better built..

it's not the technology..
it's the culture that super cheap, enviro-destructive, slave economics & greed centered politics produces..

Kelz, fucking kudzooz, sis..

i mean, what people do with their time is *their* fucking business, so long as others are not treated unfairly, too support it..

Renegade

Reaction score
I can see the benefits of technology.. but i have mostly rejected it.. with the exception of a small phone with no service my uncle gave me that i use on wifi to check maps., email family and use STP other than that.
I have no laptop or any other device..i felt like technology was negatively impacting my life.. but i dont judge others for being obessed with it.. to each his or her own

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
I think it's mostly social media that is the devil. Facebook. Instagram. Twitter. Many people become addicted to the instant gratification, and many end up living their life just for the attention of others.. Seen it for years and could easily identify it as I was a terrible offender myself. Stopped getting on both and it's been way better for me
Mentally.

Reactions: todd and Renegade

Renegade

Reaction score
Absolutely dude.. thats my feeling exctly.. facebook is fucking evil and all soical meida is.. been saying that so long.. unplug and live your lives people!!

Reactions: wanderlovejosh

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads