dirty kid wannabe looking for advice | Squat the Planet

dirty kid wannabe looking for advice

Mumble Rose

Reaction score
hey there fuckers, im relatively new to the whole world of traveling. i got into a relationship with a dirty kid called river, who was off the road when we met. We took a little rubber tramping adventure from the Midwest to up and down the coast where I experienced life as a trimmigrant and learned all about gas jugging. Ive never spanged anyone or flown a sign, but I have white boxed a decent amount of times and in not scared to eat out of a dumpster. I feel like I'm a bit of a yuppie and I'm sure others get that vibe as well because of where and how I spent my teenage years, it was a small town in Idaho where you wont find nothing but granola river rats & rednecks. so you can only imagine how I felt when a group of rainbows came through town and showed me a whole new world. Ive always been attracted to the idea of traveling, freight trains, living in vans, the whole shpeel. ol pops is a tweak twack/ hum bum, my moms some type of materialistic spiritual seeker so ive always been somewhat enveloped in the culture, however i feel like I've sort of developed the same materialistic mannerisms as my mother, (bless her heart.) Anyways, here I am now, shit outta luck, no wheels, and no money and now no house to couch at. My man wants to take me on the road, by train or by hitchhiking, whatever works. I guess you could say im a little bit scared. Rubber tramping felt a little easier with my anxiety, safer I suppose. So I guess what im wondering is how to I let go of my attachments to material things, how do I transition from this in between of wanting to live this lifestyle to actually doing it?

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
So, one of the things to realize about your stuff is that often it's not about having, it's about a memory it triggers. For a lot of items, you can take a picture or journal a description to keep, and get rid of the item. If one journal of memories can take the place of 20 items, you're making progress.

For stuff that "might come in handy", consider how much it's costing you to keep it vs. the cost of replacement if the time ever actually rolls around when you need it. Sometimes you need to consider costs that are not monitary as well. For example, is having a bedroom set of furniture more valuable to you than seeing the country first-hand? If not, sell it for food money and some good shoes. Or save it in a bank account and buy a new set of funiture when you're done traveling.

You can make a plan to ease yourself into traveling. Take a two week trip with your man, then reassess your feelings about staying on the road. Or travel to a destination - a relative or friend's house - and see how it goes.

If you're attracted to the lifestyle, take the plunge now, I say. It often gets harder (in many ways) with age.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
so you can only imagine how I felt when a group of rainbows came through town and showed me a whole new world.

Ummm...

gsbrnint (1).gif

gsbrnint (1).gif
gsbrnint (1).gif

gsbrnint (1).gif
gsbrnint (1).gif
gsbrnint (1).gif

Sorry couldn't help myself. Hehehe ::alien::

Hey welcome to STP. :cool: Use this resource wisely lots of info for all kinds of travel n homefree lifestyles.

Don't be scared of the dumpster's der be gold in those bins!!!

As for transition... just let the process happen. Research things to do... and you know how you get to Carnegie hall right?

Practice. ::drinkingbuddy::

Last edited:

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Welcome to STP! As far a letting go of stuff is concerned once you start travling your going to lose a lot of stuff, replace a lot of stuff, shit you thought you would need you will find out quickly you don't need and the stuff you needed you'll wish you had. That is how it first worked for me many years ago.

As I suggest and tell anyone new to travling, learn to be patient and allow the adventure to unfold, don't force it. Anyone can travel but it does take time to learn how to travel efficiently. The best way to learn is to go out there and just do it.

I have been travling on and off for years and I still learn new stuff each day pertaining to travling. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in your new adventure. Safe travels.

severin

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
2569 S 5600 W ste 400, West Valley City, UT 84120
Welcome to STP! As far a letting go of stuff is concerned once you start travling your going to lose a lot of stuff, replace a lot of stuff, shit you thought you would need you will find out quickly you don't need and the stuff you needed you'll wish you had. That is how it first worked for me many years ago.

As I suggest and tell anyone new to travling, learn to be patient and allow the adventure to unfold, don't force it. Anyone can travel but it does take time to learn how to travel efficiently. The best way to learn is to go out there and just do it.

I have been travling on and off for years and I still learn new stuff each day pertaining to travling. I wish you nothing but the best of luck in your new adventure. Safe travels.
This.

Money in the pocket is less to carry; dont get spendy until youve walked a few miles in a homeless mans shoes. Thats when you will begin to have an idea of what works for you.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Fear in the beginning is good.

It will sharpen your wits while you are learning, and when you overcome that fear with experience, you will become addicted to this world.

Just warning you. It's addicting.

The best way to do it is develop some sort of loose plan (What direction you are headed, a way to make money, ect.). Make sure you have some essential gear (pack, sleeping bag, boots, sharpie, ect.) And just say "fuck it" And hit that onramp, or yard, or trail.

It will be the best decision you have ever made, as long as you are smart about it.

There are a few guides on how to travel and what to expect on this website. They are in the "Hitchhiking" "Train Hopping" and. "Gear" sections.

Good luck. Also, just to clear something up, "Travelers" and "Dirty kids" are not synonymous. There are many types of travelers out there.

Reactions: croc and Hobo Mud
D

Deleted member 16701

As I suggest and tell anyone new to travling, learn to be patient and allow the adventure to unfold, don't force it.

Thats good advice. You might meet oogles who are into doing stupid illegal shit to have a story or whatever, but dude shit'll happen if you just chill.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads