Digging a House... Literally

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
So, Ive been think about for sometime now, Finding a decent hill some place, Preferably in the woods, To dig into the side of to build myself a nice cozy place to live. The things im curious about are things like, what would be the best method of digging, ( I was just planning on using a shovel and some 5 gallon buckets), What would be good to support it (So it doesnt collapse) And simple, but important things like this. If anyone has any ideas or info on how to go about doing this Id appritiate it.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
i don't know if this would work with a partial subterranean house but perhaps plastic bottles...

http://inspirationgreen.com/plastic-bottle-homes.html

It would work well by the very nature of you working within the earth but that method might be far to labour intensive and take a long time to get that many bottles together. i don't know. sounds interesting though. Old tyres would work in a similar way and you can fill them with dirt to make them extra sturdy, this might be expensive though. you could try finding out about earthships that might give you some useful info, alternatively make friends with some miners and they might be able to advise you on making your place stable! i guess it depends on he type of earth your digging in. good luck, this sounds like an awesome plan.

dprogram

Reaction score
Could you dig it out then make a makeshift log cabin inside it then pack mud in?

Basically a log floor roof and walls. Thats kind of how those prairie homes were made I think...

Reactions: schmutz

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
Could you dig it out then make a makeshift log cabin inside it then pack mud in?

Basically a log floor roof and walls. Thats kind of how those prairie homes were made I think...

Yeah, thats a lot bigger than Im thinking...Im just thinking about digging a space big enough to live in and heat...Think, Maybe 12'x12' or maybe 15'x15' max in size, just a cozy livable cave. Thats though :)

@Land Pirate: Thanks, for the info..I dont know where to find any minors though lol

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'd use a pickaxe to chop up the dirt and a shovel to scoop it out. Make sure you make a drainage ditch with rocks on the bottom that lead out of the cave so you don't flood, you can stack sandbags filled with dirt in an arch, but you'll need insulation or plaster to protect the bags from an open flame. Depending on how deep or small the entrance is, you might need ventilation holes via PVC pipe.

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
I'd use a pickaxe to chop up the dirt and a shovel to scoop it out. Make sure you make a drainage ditch with rocks on the bottom that lead out of the cave so you don't flood, you can stack sandbags filled with dirt in an arch, but you'll need insulation or plaster to protect the bags from an open flame. Depending on how deep or small the entrance is, you might need ventilation holes via PVC pipe.

Rad, good info, thanks :) I wouldnt have thought about the ventilation thing.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I forgot to add that you may want a tarp over the arch before you pile the dirt on, to make sure water goes in to the drainage trench.

dolittle

Reaction score
For that size U can use tree trunks for supports. Just strip the bark & limbs off then hack a V shape in the top ends to fit U'r cross pieces n2. As for tires, check all the local truck stops, gullys & creeks. People are 4ever throwing them away. But try to be creative with U'r supports. Mabe some one has old still pipes or concrete blocks they want hauled off. Or U might could find old wrought iron porch supports. Although, skined tree trunks are good for carving on?? To come up with cool ideas, just look at the "junk" or "trash" in U'r area & SEE it with New Eyes & an open mind. It's amazing what folks throw away.

Reactions: happyearthhomes

dolittle

Reaction score
Also might I suggest, as with any relestate, location location LOCATION. U want HIGH enough up the hill that U don't flood. U want a good, clean, year round stream or creek close to U for water. Plus U want a place with a lot of windfall for cooking & heating. Of cores, U can cut U'r own wood, too. But it takes time to dry. And U may want to consider a small truck, or garden patch... it could come in handy sometimes.

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
Im Familiar with the water thing, But I will not be "Building" this place from scratch...I plan to dig into an exsisting hillside to make this.

dolittle

Reaction score
Even "digging n2 an exsisting hillside", I would think u would want something to keep the top from caving in... like, mabe Supports?? But mabe, not. What do I know. I've only "built" like, Four dougouts. I guess that doesn't count, though. Since a dougout isn't a cave. Good luck with ur hole, dude.

REDYELLOWBLUE

Reaction score
I think this is a wonderful idea.
Ive seen shovels lying in construction sites at night, maybe you could lift one and return when your done.
Also , pehaps those wooden crates they throw out behind stores would be an inexpensive way to add interior structure.
I wonder if its possible to dig a small smoke hole in the top. but then you face the issue of inverted structure .
But youll find something, you hobbit you.

Reactions: Mankini

180 Degrees

Reaction score
One question: Where Are You Going To Undertake This Endeavor At? This is actually critical as weather and geographical conditions will play a part. Your idea though is great. 55 degrees all throughout the year when you're below the frost line. (18 Inches.) You will virtually have no heating or cooling costs as I'm sure you know. Structural Integrity of your abode will be very important should you get to that point of building. I would recommend concrete foundations for posts consisting of 6X6's. Depending on how big your blueprints are, 4-8 6X6 posts will be sufficient. The roof will carry the heaviest load and undoubtedly will need to be sound and free of judgmental mistake. This is where "geography" comes into play. Message back your location. Cheers!

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great feed back guys...Im actually considering maybe using Pallets faced with plywood for the wall reinforcements, Perhaps fill in the gaps of the pallets withdirt for extra durability, then maybe run 4x4's and some 2x4's along the top (Nailed in place) then covered with plywood..Sort in the idea of the way old mines were built just a bit different, Hopefully this will help.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Some black locust logs, used tires and construction site heavy plastic sheets... and you're golden. You could dig out something in
the side of a hill that would last for decades. Black Locust is highly rot resistant, my folks have in their yard, exposed to the elements,
logs of black locust, been there for 20 years. And you can forget trying to split those logs. The outer part decays very slowly while the inner part seems to get harder. They will do well under dirt. Cedar logs are also rot resistant, but I would not trust them to support a
dirt roof, not strong enough.

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
Im probably not into the tire idea only because of the issues with the round edges, Other wise that would be a good Idea. Im thinking pretty much a square/ rectangular shape. Simple, nothing too complicated.

RVLG

Reaction score
Do you realize how much work it would be to dig over 860 cubic feet of dirt and rock by hand (12x12x6)? Underground shelters are a fine idea, but they're generally just bermed, not totally buried. Since you're doing this without help of motorized equipment, I'll assume you don't anyone to find out about it. Depending on where you're digging, this undertaking could take many months of work hours. You should seriously consider getting help with the digging. Also if you want to not risk death while putting in supports, you'll want to take the top of the hill off and fill it back in when you've finished the main structure and piping. I would also recommend reading the Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House Book by Mike Oehler. Be safe, and good luck!:)

Reactions: dolittle

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to squatting and alternative housing.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads