Digging a House... Literally | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Digging a House... Literally

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
I was digging a septic tank today and was thinking. Get some of those bags they do the earth bags with. Could you combine both ideas? Both digging and then putting the dirt in the bags for the top? But yeah the live roof would be tight. I was day dreaming today of a spider hole of my own :) Seems like a kick ass idea still. Maybe camoflauge the shit out of it and no one will even notice. Wonder with the live roof and it being sorta underground if it would cut through the summer heat. Just coolin in the hobbit hole.

Well, with the majority of it being underground, it should roughly remain the same temp all year round...As for the Bag idea, I could probably do that..But its just extra work Id have to Do, and getting the bags, Im guessing although fairly cheap would just be an unnecessary expense...Cool Idea too though..Might get a few for other ideas though :)

NocturnalJoe

Reaction score
Have been looking into something simular to this myself. Only plan on doing it on public forest land in the Idaho / Montana area. Still trying to find the best ways not to get caught though. Thinking about having the door into the underground hidden very well, having a vent hole or pipe come up for air that is hidden in a tree or something. Building the underground home like 10 feet underground or so. That way it is well below the frost line and will stay a even temp year round. For the fires, if they where above ground, and moved around well away from camp, that way even if someone seen them, they wouldent find the underground camp. The fires would only be used for cooking and boiling water anyway. The underground camp would be dug out by shovel with only a small door going down and into the camp.

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score

Or if you could scrape together 500$ you could buy a septic tank and modify it to be partially underground.. Was reading on some survivalist form awhile back and the guy made a tornado. Ill see if i can dig it up. Was pretty sweet.

Only problem with this Idea ( Icould afford the $500 bucks fairly easily enough) Is not having a place to put it..well a legal place haha

NocturnalJoe

Reaction score
hehe knowing what I do know about the law, I for one do not care about the "leagle" system. As long as there is no harm done, there is no law broken. The so called laws, are acts and statutes which do not apply to you. The place I will be doing this is in a national forest hehe

Anthorhitchhiker77

Reaction score
I've thought about building a hobbit hole myself, but the way you want to go about it is very dangerous. You want to make it like mines are dug. Mineshafts are cut into rock and very hard earth. If you are digging into a random hillside, it's going to be mostly dirt and clay, which probably won't stable enough to construct such a large hole in the way you want to go about it. If it is stable enough, then the hill is probably rocky. The safest place to build would be into solid rock, in which case you'll want dynamite. Depending on where you're digging, you might run into boulders, in which case you're probably going to be unable to build your house alone. I love alternative housing and DIY projects, and I support your endeavor, but I also don't want you to die. Read a lot of books on mining, tunnelling, and digging in general, and research the potential build sites. It might be a good idea to post progress pictures on here, if not for instructional and inspirational purposes then so more people can keep an eye on it.
How do you aquire dynamite and how/where would you build a hole house

Anthorhitchhiker77

Reaction score
I'm building a large semi-subterranean "burrow" but as opposed to digging out the side of a hill I leveled the side, built the structure using debris/ logs/ tarps/ recycled material and am now working on burying the structure, returning the hill to it's original form 'cept now it'll have a house in it.
How did this turn out?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads