Decent cheap Mandolin | Squat the Planet

Decent cheap Mandolin

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Just ordered this $50 (with shipping) student mandolin from ebay, pretty damn good for a brand new mando and the thing has pretty good reviews too. It comes in sunburst too, same price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rogue-RM-10...823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54062e2717

Also, how do y'all protect yer instruments, mandolins especially? I don't wanna spend $40 on a hard case.

My plan is to DIY a mandolin slip cover that can be strapped on or hang off my pack, maybe with some kind of knot holding the neck so that I can easily slide it out of the bottom. Maybe make it outta tarp?

Last edited:
Reactions: Traveler and Odin

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I haven't tried it but I've heard of people making soft cases for laptops out of heavy fabric and using material from padded envelopes as padding. Those envelopes just have a thin layer of bubble wrap though, so I don't know how well that would work with a delicate instrument on the road.

Reactions: West

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I haven't tried it but I've heard of people making soft cases for laptops out of heavy fabric and using material from padded envelopes as padding. Those envelopes just have a pretty thin layer of bubble wrap though, so I don't know how well that would work with a delicate instrument on the road.
Edit: Fucked up and reposted instead of editing. I need to go to sleep.

Traveler

Reaction score
You know.... I just had to check craigs for violins yesterday too :p Congrats West, it looks nice :)

plagueship

Reaction score
i feel like the hard case is probably worth it. not a fun way to spend money, but neither is repairing or replacing the instrument - such a cheap one could probably crack fairly easily, and then it's junk...maybe you can find a used one? if you are really set on DIYing it, you could do a double layer with foam or bubble wrap or something inside it, or at least use a wool blanket or a couple layers of felt, etc...

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Oh yeah UPDATE:

Got the mando and it's fucking brilliant. Obviously not the same sound as a gibson or something, but it's everything I expected and a lot more - sounds great. :)

Reactions: urchin

notOK

Reaction score
Rad dude. I need another mandolin in my life. For fifty bones, shit the bed! Had a fender for years, first paycheck ever got. Hate getting them things. Checks, not mandolins. Cash is king. The liquor store don't take checks and neither do I. Anyway, glad it's got good sound, might score one and throw a pickup on it.

plagueship

Reaction score
you probably will need to reposition the bridge to adjust the intonation, because it kinda needs to be done by hand and usually never is when you get a cheap-o from a factory. the harmonic at the middle of the string should sound the same note as the string fretted on the 12th fret, ie the midpoint of the string should be right over the 12th fret (which you can check by playing a harmonic there). loosen the strings and use two pens or a little strip of wood or whatever to move the bridge, check the outer two strings.

D

Deleted member 2626

I hitched a bit with a mando wrapped in a thermal shirt and it wound up fine. ranted it wasn't months of hard road miles but it was thrown in a few trunks and woods while bungeed to my pack. I had a soft case i got for 40 bucks that worked real well and was good quality. i sold it already but look on amazon for i thinks it called aloha soft shell. had a front pocket too

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads