dangers of hitching- how to avoid em

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
my mom was hitching once and the guy she got in the car with had removed the entire apparatus for the passanger to get out of the car. he started going off 'to drop by his sister's house' on some random ass backroads. my mom started talking about her childhood and all these things she did in high school and her friends and he eventually turned around and went back to the highway. she just tried to make herself sound like a human with feelings since that's a serial killer turn off. maybe he just decided not to see his sister.. either way, pretty creepy shit.

woah.

i don't think HH'ing is really dangerous, but the potential is there.
i carry a sizeable folding-blade, which has a quick assisted-open once you start it with just a finger press; it also has a safety lock so you won't put it down on your fingers either.
good stuff. and i carry it with only the clip out on my right front pocket, try to keep it outta sight, since i know i'm not gonna crazily attack any driver.

* i gave my lady friend two pepper-spray canisters. course, you gotta keep them accessible, not tucked down the bottom of your pack.
* you could casually mention to any threatening people that you sent by phone a pic of the license plate to friends/family. (and you could truly do this.)
* always good to chat a sec to your driver, check out the car and get a feel for the psyche/personality behind the wheel.

but nothing's foolproof. thing to keep in mind is that we're all gonna die, but if you're deciding to hitch and travel you're already living a million times more than most people, and you're not gonna die in a typical, boring, banal way of "heart attack at McD's" or "stroke in the cubicle".

Reactions: Mikael Runefoot

rebequah

Reaction score
* you could casually mention to any threatening people that you sent by phone a pic of the license plate to friends/family. (and you could truly do this.)
------ I like that alot.
And yeah I agree it would mostly be moment to moment reaction if something went wrong, but I think you can train your muscle memory whether its mind or physical to automatically see some other solution. I mean I now know that my first reaction should not be to mase the driver unless I want to get fucked too.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads