Cycling coast to coast - the southern route

lilylove

Reaction score
hola hobos,

So im finally leaving the european lands and heading to the americas. Im sailing across and will arrive in miami early january. ill be in the states 6 months.

After cycling across europe (twice) i've decided i want to cycle across the states... so from florida to california. through louisianna, new mexico, arizona etc... 2500 miles or so, around 2.5 months, 80kms a day.

1st of all - i cant take my bike *tear* on the boat (its only 35foot!) so ill have to find myself a new one in florida. if anyone feels like donating/giving me a good price for a decent touring bike, that would be just swell :)

2nd of all - i dont really know much about this route (will do more research soon, so far its just been google maps!) but im guessing its a whole lot of nothing in some bits, very few towns between??

If anyone wants to join, put me up, give me info, inspiration etc... that would be just tip top. From january, see you on the road!

x lily

oh and PS - matt, did you end up doing this? i saw your posts from last year..?

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I am down. I am up in Oregon (NW) now, and would most likely be buying my bike and parts from up here (no sales tax). When do you plan on riding from Miami? My original plan was to drive to Virginia with my bike, leave my car with my relatives and bike back (4300 miles). But I am up for anything.

sprout

Reaction score
I never did coast to coast myself but I have a lot of friends who have. However, they usually do New York to LA... not the route you are planning on taking.

You will probably want to look up the "Southern Tier" bike route. It's about 3130 miles, extending from St. Augustine, FL to San Diego, CA.

lilylove

Reaction score
ah hoi from the other side of the ocean. Made it here safe and sound and will be chillin in the caribbean a little while until the sailing season up to the mainland. Should arrive around April.

New plan (todays :)) is to acquire a bike in madison, WI, where i have good friends and contacts, then cycle north route to washington. still keen for journeying with others though, so stay in touch if it works out :)

woop bikes! x lily

big trash

Reaction score
i rode from nashville into arkansas a few years back, about 450 miles... we took mostly hwy 64 and some other small highways and then crossed the river in dyersburg... but only after being stuck in dyersburg jail for a week.. ha ha. some of the small towns through there will get you a hotel room if you call the local cop shop. we really got hooked up the whole trip by everyone we met, but i guess alot of it was because it was the dead of winter... all in all i would recommend this route though, it was really beautiful. anyway, good luck on your trip.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads