Question Crossing the border from Canada to the USA : what to say ?

otch0z

Reaction score
Hi y'all, this question is for Canadian citizens.
I'm planning on crossing the border from Canada to the USA. I'll be traveling with my car (which doesn't exactly look new or clean but it's 20 years old so let's keep an open mind here). My question is : what do I need to tell the border services ? So far I'm guessing :
  • an address in the states where i'd be staying
  • a proof that i have money (how much should i have ?)
Also I'm gonna be traveling with my music instruments (three of them, I just can't choose ha) and I don't want them to think I'm gonna be busking. I don't have a job in Canada but i work seasonal jobs (maybe that's worst because they'll think I'm gonna work there ? idk)

Anyhow, question is : what should i tell them so i can cross the border, untroubled ?

ali

Reaction score
A lot of it depends on the particular border official you meet and if they happen to be in a fussy mood or not. The main thing the Americans want to know is if you are going to try look for work down there, so probably the best way to go about it is say you're heading down on a vacation/road-trip and leave it at that. If they ask what you do, since you work seasonal i think you can honestly say you've got work lined up back in Canada in a few months and plan to be back for that. I've never been asked to prove that i have enough money to stay down there, but if you're just honest about the fact that you plan to mostly go camping, visit national parks, BLM land etc, they'll understand you can do it on the cheap. Maybe have a few specific destinations in mind up-front so you can show you have some kind of plan.

Which isn't to say they're not assholes. Border guys can be real pieces of work. But just like talking to any authority figure, treat them with respect, be polite, and stick as close to the truth as possible. If they suspect you're lying about anything, that's when it'll turn into a longer conversation.

• Useful
Reactions: otch0z

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
Tell them you're a tourist. As a Canadian citizen you legally have 180 days in the states before you need to return to Canada. Like @ali said, be polite!

They'll be hot on weed. Not worth the effort carrying over the boarder.

Be aware also of the amount of Canadian migrants traveling (illegally) into the US to avoid the freezing weather. I honestly don't know if this has shifted attitudes at boarder crossing.

• Useful
Reactions: otch0z

otch0z

Reaction score
Thanks y'all! These are good things to think about, thanks :)
My main concern is that I'll be traveling with my instruments and i don't want them to think I'll be busking but I'm planning on telling them I'm getting music lessons in nola

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads