Crossing Boarder (Canada to US) | Squat the Planet

Crossing Boarder (Canada to US)

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Had a quick look and couldn't find any recent threads, sorry if this has already been discussed.

Have any non-US Citizens crossed the boarding recently (bonus points if you crossed from Eastern BC into WA)?

I've been hearing some pretty crazy stories about people being denied entry, and even barred from entering in the future, over some very trivial things. I'm an anxious person at the best of times, and I feel like I'm overstressing about this. I've been to America a fair few times before with no issue (always via airports in the past), have a six month B1 tourist visa and always make sure I look out at boarders.

I fit plenty of criteria that would make it likely they question me a bit (solo male traveler, long hair, beard, older car, no fixed address).

Two main worries cross my mind -
1. Being asked about drug use. Apparently people are being asked if they smoke weed...and have been barred all future entry for admitting to it or denied entry for opting not to answer. I'm not a big smoker, but I do have my medicinal card here. So it seems like you either have to hope they don't ask or hope you're not caught lying. Between pending legalisation in Canada and prior legalisation in WA/numerous other states I find this fucking absurd.
2. Having my phone searched. There is nothing too sketchy on their, but a lot of things I'd rather prying eyes don't see (as well as affiliations with groups that are against my home government as well as the US government). Every article I read seems to have a different idea of the search powers they have.

So, yeah, has anyone had to deal with the above or have any advice?

Anxiety and paranoia is just in my nature, so I stress hard about things like this when, really, ignoring point 1 above there is no reasonable thing that would stop my entry.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 22992

Look up the youtuber "Telestations". He is a freight train rider from the Vancouver area and I believe he crosses into the US by freight every once and awhile. In the comment section in some of his videos he provides some insight on crossing into the US by freight from Canada

Ceed

Reaction score
Telestations... really? They guy has serious mental issues. As far as crossing borders, just keep in mind they can only access your fb and ig if you are logged in. Delete all your apps and remove all the automatic loggin passwords on your device. They will not start to download facebook messenger at customs, they usually do a quick revision. Keep your 5shits on sd card that you can remove before crossing the borders, if you cant avoid traveling without some sketchy infos.

Hobo richard

Reaction score
I was in the forest once, in washington state and my freind and i were smoking all our weed before legally crossing into canada with our bikes on a trip. On the forest floor, partly hidden by leaves were small cement border markers. We had no idea we were that close to the border. Seems like justwalking in would work. I no longer cross international borders since our country has turned ugly.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads