Country Squat in Kitsap County, WA

Stiv Rhodes

Current Location
Seattle, WA
Some folks at the Jambo said I should post some pics of the awesome house I've been working on over the last 6 months. It sits on 4 acres. The owner died and left all their stuff behind. The bank has a lien on it and will probably foreclose next year. It was vacant 3 years, but the owner only died two years ago. It was burglarized twice and the thieves tossed the place hard, stripped some of the copper and left two doors wide open. The owner didn't even remove their food or dirty dishes when they left, probably had a medical emergency and needed to be cared for that last year. Wood stove works and surrounding land yields firewood for gathering. Home contains all the housewares you might need. It was a lot of work cleaning it but now clients I dog-sit for through Rover.com drop their pets off regularly and don't know it's a squat!
living-room-before-jpg.47417_Country Squat in Kitsap County, WA_Squatting_Squat the Planet_11:03 AM
Living Room Before.JPGHere's the living room before we cleaned up.
living-room-after-jpg.47418_Country Squat in Kitsap County, WA_Squatting_Squat the Planet_11:03 AM
This is what it looks like now.
living-room-after-2-2-jpg.47419_Country Squat in Kitsap County, WA_Squatting_Squat the Planet_11:03 AM
Living Room After.JPGLiving Room After 2 (2).jpg

roughdraft

my grandma's favorite traveling person
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Brasil
fuck yes. always seemed like the peninsula would be good for that too. what a sleepy and beautiful place

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Utah
Website
www.youtube.com
Dude, great work on cleaning that place up!!

What an epic place, in a beautiful place!

OP
Stiv Rhodes

Stiv Rhodes

Current Location
Seattle, WA
We now have electricity! It's been on this whole time, I just assumed it would be off cuz the burgler(s) stripped the copper wiring. A friend hooked up two outlets directly to the circuit breaker and they work. And we have one of the olt fashion analog power meters, not a smart meter, which blackberries have grown up to bloc
img_20181207_154721-jpg.47900_Country Squat in Kitsap County, WA_Squatting_Squat the Planet_12:48 PM
k, so the energy company can't see that our power is on, or reach it to turn it off.

Reactions: Koala
OP
Stiv Rhodes

Stiv Rhodes

Current Location
Seattle, WA
We now have electricity! It's been on this whole time, I just assumed it would be off cuz the burgler(s) stripped the copper wiring. A friend hooked up two outlets directly to the circuit breaker and they work. And we have one of the olt fashion analog power meters, not a smart meter, which blackberries have grown up to blocView attachment 47900k, so the energy company can't see that our power is on, or reach it to turn it off.
img_20181207_153533-jpg.47901_Country Squat in Kitsap County, WA_Squatting_Squat the Planet_12:50 PM

Ezra Fyre

Lurker
Current Location
New Orleans
How did you fare in the kitsap tornado the other day? I know it only hit a small area, just hoping yours wasn't in its path...

Geraldo

The Saltiest Swamp Siren
Staff member
Current Location
Come Hell or Bywater
DAMN DUDE. I should have gone and checked it out while I had the chance! Well, I guess I'll have another chance once my ma heals up. That looks fucking killer though.

OP
Stiv Rhodes

Stiv Rhodes

Current Location
Seattle, WA
How did you fare in the kitsap tornado the other day? I know it only hit a small area, just hoping yours wasn't in its path...
The tornado was two towns away from me, so I wasn't phased. My partner was just a mile from it and was headed home from the Walmart where it happened, so she actually saw it, but wasn't directly hit by it.

OP
Stiv Rhodes

Stiv Rhodes

Current Location
Seattle, WA
img_20181229_142229-jpg.48243_Country Squat in Kitsap County, WA_Squatting_Squat the Planet_7:40 AM
Now I ran wires through the attic and wall nto other rooms so there's not extension cords trailing all over the floor. There's a legitimate looking outlet in the living room with a wire on the other side of the wall in my housemates bedroom running to the circuit breaker. His room is starting to look like the utility room of the house. The power company posted a notice that they know we've been using power and we need to set up an account or get shut off so we did that. Oh well, the month of free power was nice. We also set up an internet account, but our cable's not working, so they need to send a technician out next week.

Attachments

OP
Stiv Rhodes

Stiv Rhodes

Current Location
Seattle, WA
DAMN DUDE. I should have gone and checked it out while I had the chance! Well, I guess I'll have another chance once my ma heals up. That looks fucking killer though.
Sure, come visit any time. I love hosting guests.