Compression sacks | Squat the Planet

Compression sacks

viking

Reaction score
I just got a army bivy. It didn't come with a stuff sack. Anyone know what I should look for in a sack?

It needs to hold the bivy with my sleeping bag inside of it. I wasn't able to find the US army stuff sack.

plagueship

Reaction score
...durable material and adjustable buckles..?
im off the road now but i used to have two when i traveled, one for my sleeping bag and one for my clothes....which i recommend...

Dishka8643

Reaction score
There is a knot called a "canadian Jam" that works like a slip knot, but will only loosen if pulled hard in the opposite direction, so it's great for compressing things. You can make it out of paracord or any textured (not slippery) rope.
[video]http://youtu.be/qC-GHDkBnXU[/video]

viking

Reaction score
spend a couple extra bucks and get a hiking brand sack. lighter and more weatherproof. The army compression sacks suck. The buckles break constantly and they're almost a pound by themselves. dont carry extra weight if you dont have to.
What size do you reckon I'll need?

xbocax

Reaction score
i got an alps mountaineering size medium i believe working great thus far

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
funny i was just thinking i needed a compression sack, then had all this paracord and didn't know what to do with... works like a charm! tied the slack off with another simple knot just to ensure it doesn't bust a nut inside my pack.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
if you can find a big leather purse at a goodwill or something, that your sleeping bag fits into tightly......will keep it dry and protected.... you could sew on some shopping cart staps to cinch it tighter if you wanted to..might look funny draggin yer sleepin bag into the store and trying to stuff it into purses

jake4569

Reaction score

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
also there's a thread floatin around somewhere - you can just as easily look it up - of using paracord as a compression sack. i've been using this for some squatting the past four days and hasn't been any less than amazing for me. i'm a fan of multi-use and now i don't have to roll my paracord up and have it gettin tangled with the rest of my shit.

japanarchist

Reaction score
I just got a army bivy. It didn't come with a stuff sack. Anyone know what I should look for in a sack?

It needs to hold the bivy with my sleeping bag inside of it. I wasn't able to find the US army stuff sack.

Did you manage to find a good sack? I'm in the same situation, I have a swissgear mummy and I just got the goretex bivy and I want to get a sack but I don't know what size I should get.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads