common locks easily bypassed | Squat the Planet

common locks easily bypassed

Joni

Reaction score
posting this for those that get into bad situation and need a safe place to go. ie in a building.

bump keys

its has advertising but pretty comprehensive

these are quick sticks of the diy version and the commercial version.
probaly the best way to open a single catch padlock fast. come double catches too

old railroad lock, skeleton keys, master locks, also suitcases.

tubular locks lock like on a pop/food machine (ever get stuck at a rest area? i did once with very little food i wish i had known instead of going hungry for three days in the midwest.)
comercial tool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_tjYgczzkg
old fashioned way -
6-bin bike lock -
the bic pen trick -
OMG that bic pen trick is crazy about kryptonite locks!! :O 15 seconds for a newb!!!

a way to deal with high security locks
low temp casting process -
butane process that is more detailed -
metal used and lost wax method -
tin, aluminium and pewter would probably work as well.

sorry about sooooo many youtube videos. but it well worth the knowledge because knowledge is a way to empower yourself to get out of a bad situation.

keep it safe... don't ruin it for everybody.
-joni

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Until 2004, Kryptonite locks used the tubular pin tumbler locking mechanism. In 2005, after it was demonstrated that some tubular pin tumbler locks of the diameter used on Kryptonite locks could easily be opened with the shaft of an inexpensive Bic ballpoint pen of matching diameter,[3][4][5][6][7][8] Kryptonite changed their locks from the tubular to a flat key, preventing the use of cylindrically-shaped objects to defeat the locking system.[9][not in citation given]

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
i got a masterlock bike lock with the turning dials and found i could open it by testing each number by wiggleing the dial on each number and the one that wiggled the most and was easier to wiggle was the right number in the combo. i dont steal bikes but every now and then i come up on one of these locks lying around good for a free bike lock. also i saw this awhile ago it would have been useful in highschool

Last edited:

Joni

Reaction score
"i got a masterlock bike lock with the turning dials and found i could open it by testing each number by wiggleing the dial on each number and the one that wiggled the most and was easier to wiggle was the right number in the combo. i dont steal bikes but every now and then i come up on one of these locks lying around good for a free bike lock. also i saw this awhile ago it would have been useful in highschool."

i have tried that method but it didn't work for me. but now i see what i was doing wrong. lol :D yeah pop cans are a roadies friend :) make just about everything you need to survive out of a pop can.

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score
I carry a 1-1/2 foot length of 3/4 rodding with me, stick it in the loop on a lock an twist, havnt met a padlock that has beaten me yet!

cops ask? "I use it for camp cooking sir"

Reactions: Joni

Joni

Reaction score
Speaking of vending machines, if you have a tape measure, you can push it up into the machine through the bottom and pull things off, like this

oh that is brilliant!! but yeah if you use the stealth key method like on kryptonite bike locks its way faster and you get as much as you need/want and the cash in the machine. kinda hard to prove you stole cash vs that method. but still i agree in a pinch damn handy!

thank you..
-joni

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
oh that is brilliant!! but yeah if you use the stealth key method like on kryptonite bike locks its way faster and you get as much as you need/want and the cash in the machine. kinda hard to prove you stole cash vs that method. but still i agree in a pinch damn handy!

thank you..
-joni

Yeah, that's true. I carry lockpicks and have no problem opening these, but won't steal from vending at local locations, only places like walmart and chain hotels.

Here's another tip... you know those fancy soda machines that collect the bottle in a tray and drop it into the dispenser? Like this:

3230244142_28619becd1_o.jpg

Well, if you put your hand into the hole and hold the little door closed, it will go down... and get another, and another, and another, ad infinitum, until you unblock the door. Easy way to get 5 bottles for the price of one in a pinch. Not guaranteed to work on the newest machines (never tested), but it works on the older ones.

edit: And I guess I should add that while it's commonly claimed that it's impossible to pick these without a specialized barrel lockpicking tool, that's total bullshit. Yes, they're more secure than standard pin&tumblers, but you do not need a tubular lockpick. With the right tension wrench and a single specialized pick it's very easy to get these open if you know what you're doing. PM me if you want some info, I'm a little uneasy about posting it openly. The exception is van locks... fuck those things.

Last edited:

Joni

Reaction score
edit: And I guess I should add that while it's commonly claimed that it's impossible to pick these without a specialized barrel lockpicking tool, that's total bullshit. Yes, they're more secure than standard pin&tumblers, but you do not need a tubular lockpick. With the right tension wrench and a single specialized pick it's very easy to get these open if you know what you're doing. PM me if you want some info, I'm a little uneasy about posting it openly. The exception is van locks... fuck those things.

Also known as Ace locks, axial pin-tumbler locks and radial locks. is what its called. they all are built relatively the same. from a file cabinet to a safe they are the same concept. the pins are facing you on the horizontial. this in turn makes it easy to acces the pins because you can see them. just use something with a needle point tip (big safety pin works).

this show one torn apart

here is how to single pick said lock with improvised tools.

hope this helps...
-joni

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads