Clothing for 50+ Windy weather | Squat the Planet

Clothing for 50+ Windy weather

exiledone956

Reaction score
What kind of materials should I look for base layers, mid layers,shell. For bottoms I was wearing Thermal long johns 85% polyester 15% cotton , joggers 98% cotton 2% spandex. For top I was wearing T-shirt 100 %cotton, 100% extra fine merino wool, hoodie 85% cotton 15% the wind was killing me.

D

Deleted member 23824

I have never even heard of anyone wearing that amount of clothes for temps above 50 degrees. I’d just wear my normal clothes, maybe a hat. But then again, I sweat just rolling out of bed in the mornings. In the winter, we sleep best with the windows cracked open, our room around 50 degrees F when we awaken.

Last edited:

blank

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
What Faceplant said, that is an absolutely insane amount of clothing to be wearing for you to still be cold. Maybe an outer layer with some nylon or rayon or something? Like something specifically to block wind.

Or maybe a space heater with solar panels glued all over it.

Reactions: Coywolf

exiledone956

Reaction score
What Faceplant said, that is an absolutely insane amount of clothing to be wearing for you to still be cold. Maybe an outer layer with some nylon or rayon or something? Like something specifically to block wind.

Or maybe a space heater with solar panels glued all over it.
I usually don’t get cold that easily but pretty sure the wind had a factor

• Agree

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Right now it is 40 degrees in Milwaukee, WI on Friday 10/25/19 plus wind chill of 38 degrees. I am wearing two hoodies and my boonie hat and no gloves and feel fine. I saw one guy get off the bus just wearing a shirt, I know he had to be cold.

But if it was in the 30s and 20s, then I would be wearing my m-90 Swedish military field coat, a wool cap and gloves.

The wind chill does make a difference though.

Reactions: exiledone956

Jerrell

Reaction score
I usually just throw my raincoat on top of my regular layers as a windbreaker in hella windy making me cold situations. Don't know what to suggest for the legs tho. As long as my toes, spine, and head are warm, I'm okay being outside.

(Message sent from inside my warm-ish van)

D

Deleted member 23824

This keeps me good down into the 20’s, temps which we do actually see in the coastal mountains:

Wool long-sleeve tee shirt; Pendleton wool long-sleeve shirt, (looks like a flannel shirt); Patagonia down puffer jacket; Hooded, insulated Carhart coat; Duluth or Carhart pants; wool socks; insulated Danner boots. If there was rain or strong winds, I’ve got a German military Goretex rain coat that no water stands a chance of penetrating.

If needed , I’d put on wool long johns, but unless on a train, not needed by me. I’d be wearing hardly any of that stuff at 50 degrees or above.

D

Deleted member 24782

What kind of materials should I look for base layers, mid layers,shell. For bottoms I was wearing Thermal long johns 85% polyester 15% cotton , joggers 98% cotton 2% spandex. For top I was wearing T-shirt 100 %cotton, 100% extra fine merino wool, hoodie 85% cotton 15% the wind was killing me.

What is the application? Big difference in work wear and travel gear, because of body heat generated when your active.

exiledone956

Reaction score
I was outside fixing the window of my car and decided to test my “cold weather clothes” I felt the wind slipping threw my legs and my face mostly my torso wasnt really affected by the wind

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've been getting some PMs on the Swedish Army M90 parka I've mentioned in the last post, here's what it looks like. You'll have to search around like eBay for example to find one. They are very nice to have!

1572039444165.png

Reactions: exiledone956

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Any decent lightweight rain jacket made of nylon will break the wind and hold in heat. A cotton sweatshirt doesn't break wind very well. Try tucking in your base layer into your pants also, this will drastically help keep in heat.

Being from Iowa, I wear shorts and flip flops in 50 degrees. A lightweight polar fleece pullover if it's overcast and windy.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 26656

the trick is, and I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned this, well they have tried but no one is really getting to the point let me tell you.
the trick is where your warm things underneath then wear something to cut the wind on top.
Also helps to make sure your belly is full of good hearty food.
and don't ever hold your piss because your body has to heat up all of that urine..

Hudson

Reaction score
The biggest lesson I ever recieved in the service was hydration in cold weather. You will dehydrate quicker in cold weather than hot because you don't expect it or see it coming. Hydration is key right next to getting acclimatized to where you are at. Takes a good 1-2 weeks for your body to adapt.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
100% Merino wool upper and lower baslayer. Mid or lightweight

Cotton canvas "duck" midlayer, like Carharts or Dickies.

Windproof and or waterproof outerlayer.

I would reccommend a soft shell type of outerlayer, unless you are in rain ALL THE TIME , Like Eugene, Portland or anywhere along a coast. In that case, get a cheap layer of Grundens rain Jacket/pants. Like 50 bucks.

And cheap softshell is fine. Best company for the price of merino wool is Merriwool.

Gloves are always recommended. You dont have to get anything bombproof or anything, just something semi windproof.

Also recommended is a neck gaiter (like a balaclava), a beanie (synthetic), and boots.

That will give you a clothing system that will keep you warm from 80 degrees, down to below freezing. It doesn't weigh much, and all you gotta do is remove/add layers.

COTTON KILLS!!

Last edited:

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Well, in 10°C/50°F weather I would be fine in t-shirt, hoodie and joggers or jeans when doing some physical work or walking. When just sitting around I would add a lined vest. Thin nylon rain jacket would be good if it's windy/rainy.

In my experience wearing too much can be counterproductive.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Morgan

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads