Clothes for traveling through the america sw during winter.

Daman45

Reaction score
Website
thebadlandssaga.wordpress.com
I am planning to ride my bike through the american south, southwest, and pacific coast during winter. Any ideas on the clothes that won't over stuff a 45 liter backpack?

Attachments

• 1444045942644-1371843770.jpg
    1444045942644-1371843770.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 360
K

Kim Chee

Outer layer:

I just scored a lightweight, thin jacket on ebay made for golfers $30 delivered to me, $280 from mfg store. I bought it to ward off the next few weeks of autumn chill in the fields. It is badass, keeps wind and water off and doesn't look like golf.
Make sure you get bottoms too.

Inner layer:
Consider some polypropylene or other synthetic. No cotton against the skin in cold weather.

Not sure how much more you need considering you're riding a bike. Just take more inner layers in different sizes so you can double them up. If you hit a laundry mat often, you can avoid taking too many clothes.

• Useful
Reactions: travelingjoe

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Merino wool. Best thing out there. expensive, but not impossible to score off thrift stores. Aside from my important wool stuff, I usually pick up cheap thrift store warm layers then discard them when I feel like I'm carrying them more then wearing them.

Juerito

Reaction score
I'm heading down there in January too, bringing full body thermal underwear, leather boots, sherpa jacket, hat and scarf, and layers upon layers. I'll be making fires as often as possible too.

travelingjoe

Reaction score
I am planning to ride my bike through the american south, southwest, and pacific coast during winter. Any ideas on the clothes that won't over stuff a 45 liter backpack?
Good gloves/ mittens. Fingers seem to stay warmer in mittens because there close to one another. Just flip top and it's easier to fiddle 18th shit with fingers.
Balaclava. Keeps head and face warm. Plus keeps body heat in.. A must in my book. Good luck

hawaii

Reaction score
Layer s layers layers! If ur traveling around in the winter layers are great BC u may go form below zero weather to 50 degree weather that drops colder at night. If u have several layers then u can adjust ur body temp and avoid sweating alot easier. If u get a nice negative degree sleeping bag sleep with as little on as possible in it since that is how they work they use ur body heat to warm up the sleeping bag. Wool as well stays warm when wet hop some oglf this helps

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads