News & Blogs 'City of the rails' Podcast *Exposed*

sevedemanos

Reaction score
her previous endeavors/ book failed, so she eventually salvaged the barebones of her material and reworked it into a story. ironic that shes doing to her audience exactly what most travelers do to eachother.

while it certainly isnt a good look for her platform, i really could care less what the facts were.. story telling is hobo tradition. i enjoyed it while it lasted. iirc the final episode was months ago

Black Decameron

Reaction score
This makes me kinda sad to hear all the evidence you've provided about the podcast, but im sure glad you did. I fell for that shit head over heels apprarently.

The deception is fucking maddening. And it makes the riding culture even more venerable to outside critique that it already is.

Thanks for the info. I'll edit this post when I get to a point that I can, including the deception in the title....some fucking people, shit. I really wanted that podcast to be sincere....unfortunate it looks like that isint the case.

I know what you mean, Coywolf. I fell for it too. I’m not part of the train-riding community – that form of travel is much to loud and dangerous for me (I’ll stick to the woods and rivers, thank you very much!). But I grew up a few hundred yards from the tracks and have been reading/hearing tales from train-riders on this and other forums for many years – so, when I heard about this podcast, I was pretty stoked. It’s unfortunate that it was produced by someone (or many people, really) with so little respect for the community. However, there is no reason that “City of the Rails” should be the last word on the subject. Perhaps this will inspire (or provoke) others within the community to create future documentaries and share stories through fiction and other works of art. Great storytelling is more important than high quality production – and I’m sure many of the contributing members of this forum (and others) are up to the task.

plantgirl0214

Reaction score
This makes me kinda sad to hear all the evidence you've provided about the podcast, but im sure glad you did. I fell for that shit head over heels apprarently.

The deception is fucking maddening. And it makes the riding culture even more venerable to outside critique that it already is.

Thanks for the info. I'll edit this post when I get to a point that I can, including the deception in the title....some fucking people, shit. I really wanted that podcast to be sincere....unfortunate it looks like that isint the case.

I was also grabbed by this podcast when I first listened to it at the beginning of the year but seeing all this evidence now and other articles it makes me sick to my stomach...

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
her previous endeavors/ book failed, so she eventually salvaged the barebones of her material and reworked it into a story. ironic that shes doing to her audience exactly what most travelers do to eachother.

while it certainly isnt a good look for her platform, i really could care less what the facts were.. story telling is hobo tradition. i enjoyed it while it lasted. iirc the final episode was months ago

But for me, I just don't get the whole Spinning a Yarn thing. Life On The Road is interesting enough, I feel no need to exaggerate, and I don't think my life is particularly exciting. There's at least a few train rider interviews on the Soft White Underbelly and at least one of them is maaad making crap up. It's annoying, it makes us all look kind of dumB.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
There's at least a few train rider interviews on the Soft White Underbelly
never heard of it, is that a podcast also?

if i wanted to make money or gain a persons amiability, ie a job interview for car sales or for the circus, i would probably lie my ass off. and the entertainment industry hinges similarly on fiction.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Is there somewhere the information exposing this podcast can be posted to let other people know it's a fabrication? I mean, can the podcast be reported to spotify or something?

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
never heard of it, is that a podcast also?

if i wanted to make money or gain a persons amiability, ie a job interview for car sales or for the circus, i would probably lie my ass off. and the entertainment industry hinges similarly on fiction.

It's a chanel on the youtube.

Yeah, I guess I'm just being weird because Traveling has been a core part of my life since May 2000 and you know the story hit home to a few of us.

Reactions: sevedemanos

sevedemanos

Reaction score
it absolutely did for me. and these things really do happen.

all im saying is i dont feel mocked or gypped about it and that probably a lot of the things she related did actually happen one way or another. and either way.. rider culture just got that much more recognition. a lot of people arent even aware that we are out here getting spit on by society. getting robbed, raped, murdered

Reactions: transcendentalhobo

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
it absolutely did for me. and these things really do happen.

all im saying is i dont feel mocked or gypped about it and that probably a lot of the things she related did actually happen one way or another. and either way.. rider culture just got that much more recognition. a lot of people arent even aware that we are out here getting spit on by society. getting robbed, raped, murdered

Backtracking, if you didn't look up the Soft White Underbelly, here's one of the train rider interviews:

NamelessExistence

I wipe my own ass
Reaction score
I first became aware of the deceptive content within “City of the Rails” through several reviews left in the Appstore. Typically, these reviewers only gave it one or two stars – and thus have since been buried beneath a sea of adoration. However, back in April or May (can’t remember exactly when I listened to this series) they were much more prominent. I consulted Apple reviews in part because I was confused by several aspects of the production (the high volume of advertisements interrupting each episode, the absence of corroboration by Ruby or her father throughout the series, and being unable to locate any of Ruby’s music online) but mostly because I really enjoyed the podcast and wanted to see what others had to say about it. Through several comments left by other reviewers, I learned about the possibility that Ruby is not in fact her daughter’s real name, but rather Marissa Spoer – that she did not drop out of high school on graduation day after singing her song “made a fool of everyone” to a teary-eyed audience, but rather spent a brief period of time as a traveler while taking a break from college (and had in fact informed her mother prior to departure) – and that she had little or no connection to the travelers involved in the 2010 New Orleans squat fire.

One of the reviewers provided links to both a 2012 NPR Here and Now interview, where both Marissa (“Ruby”) talks about her time as a traveler, and a 2012 Boston Review article concerning the New Orleans Squat fire. A casual visit to these links will verify these claims – no great powers of deduction are necessary. Ruby’s name is actually Marissa Spoer, she did not drop out of high school to pursue a life as a traveler without telling anyone, and when asked if she knew anyone involved in the squat fire, Marissa answers, and I quote, “I knew one of the girls – a friend of a friend – but I never met her,” which sounds to me like she didn’t know any of them at all. But why does any of this matter? After all, it’s a podcast. Entertainment. Who cares?

It matters because this podcast is portrayed as a work of investigative journalism, told through the lens of a contemporaneous search for the narrator’s daughter, as she endeavors to understand the world into which Ruby has disappeared. And Danelle uses the story of her daughter’s disappearance to gain sympathy and support from listeners and those she interviews throughout the series: current and former travelers, musicians, railroad workers, etc. (It’s been a while since I listened to the podcast so the details are a bit fuzzy) but in essence, she uses the story of her daughter to gain access to a world which she, as an outsider, would most likely be unwelcome.

The existence of this deception also causes one to question the veracity of reporting with regard to other aspects of the podcast. Those of you who are or have been involved in railroad culture are better qualified to comment on the technical information included in the series. But as a casual listener, I would like to know the extent to which participants in this podcast were aware of truth of Danelle’s story.

After my last comment here on STP, I discovered an email exchange between Danelle Morton and Samantha Hodder (whoever that is), in which Danelle admits to blending the timeline concerning events surrounding her daughter’s disappearance her contemporary investigation of railroad culture. Search ‘City of the Rails Q and A with Danelle Morton.’ Here are a few of her remarks:

Danelle: “I've been looking into the rails for 14 years, ever since my daughter disappeared into the world of hobos. When I got the opportunity to do a podcast, I blended the timeline of the year and a half she was away with my present day forays into the train yard.”

[DM] “We hired a former hobo, now podcast sound pro, to go to the train yard and record sounds.” This raises the question, was that whole segment involving trespassing upon railroad property with the railroad worker also fabricated? And by extension, was this whole podcast perhaps scripted and recorded by actors in a studio?

With regard to the episode concerning the squat fire, Danelle states, [we] “found some other sources who had been in New Orleans at the time of the tragedy and used their recollections to re-create the atmosphere of the squat and give the listener a more vivid, audio-first sense of the reason hobos are drawn to New Orleans.”

And lastly, she states that she has “a helluva story with Dirty Mike, with whom I've been corresponding for 11 years. I've got more than 200 letters from him that describe every aspect of being part of a murderous gang on the rails, including hand-drawn maps of his murders.”

Perhaps, as this interview suggests, season 1 was merely a prelude to her story about Dirty Mike, whom she has been corresponding with for over a decade. In any event, this podcast and the deception it contains is particularly irksome (to me) and should receive far more criticism from the travelling and journalism community. Had the narrator framed this series as a docudrama concerning railroad culture that is loosely based upon the brief period of time her daughter spent riding the rails while on break from college, few listeners would take issue. But she doesn’t do this. Instead, she portrays this podcast as a work of investigative journalism – a medium concerned with the search for truth – yet the process by which she gains the trust, sympathy, and support of those she interviews, and the listeners supporting this podcast, is completely lacking in journalistic integrity. How are we to trust any of the content of this podcast or anything that is presented in Season 2?

I was watching “Thumbs Up” season 1 I believe and ‘ruby’ happens to be in Vegas and plays the song Santa Monica. She posts her songs on SoundCloud under the name ‘Rizzy Ukulele’

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
I was watching “Thumbs Up” season 1 I believe and ‘ruby’ happens to be in Vegas and plays the song Santa Monica. She posts her songs on SoundCloud under the name ‘Rizzy Ukulele’

I just googled the soundcloud, there's also an instagram account associated with the it. I can't view it, don't have an account so it blocks me pretty quick. Here's some links

Edit: someone let me know if the instagram link works.

Reactions: NamelessExistence

bote

Reaction score
"Mooommm! stop telling people I'm missing!"

There's no need to put the daughter on blast, but mods please change the thread title/description so that people know the story is fiction up front and don't wind up being taken advantage of.
Over the years many friends and parents have come through here looking for a lost loved one. Using real sympathy as a ploy to sell a story seems pretty tasteless to me.

Matt's suggestion is correct imo, if there's a a complaint to be made, it's with the podcast host, but clearing up the thread title and op would be good.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ehh, fictional barely scratches the surface. What about "City of the Rails Podcast - A story of an overly-protective/intrusive mother who exaggerated her adult daughters need to just get the fuck away by sensationalist storytelling of her daughters travels. Distorting statements (often times without permission) of anyone in the travel community who was willing to talk to her. A podcast presented under the guise - "a concerned mother trying to understand her child's choices" but the authors real concerns appear to be more about personal & monetary gains in hopes of revitalizing her miscarried writing career.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think it should be changed as well. Anyone care to offer up some suggestions? I've got too much going on right now, running low on creativity.

I'll edit it.

Reactions: bote

TrueMetal666

Reaction score
But for me, I just don't get the whole Spinning a Yarn thing. Life On The Road is interesting enough, I feel no need to exaggerate, and I don't think my life is particularly exciting. There's at least a few train rider interviews on the Soft White Underbelly and at least one of them is maaad making crap up. It's annoying, it makes us all look kind of dumB.

That chick crazy on soft white underbelly is 100% just making up lies as she goes on softwhite underbelly. I could tell immediately. Claiming to be holding the chain attached to her friend that went under a train, bs.... The one with Kayla is good tho, I know her from way back, she's authentic on there. I like that channel alot tho, that guy is doing great work

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads