News & Blogs 'City of the rails' Podcast *Exposed*

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
City of The Rails - 'I've gone and made a fool out of everyone'

UPDATE: Many people in this thread have provided evidence that most of the information and 'storytelling' in this podcast is fictional. Not just fictional, but irresponsible and playing off of people's emotions, using staged and falsified content in order to make a buck off the traveling community.

Please read further into the comments to learn the truth about Danielle's 'Tale'...

Just came across this podcast, and I find it interesting as all get out.

The premise is the story of a journalist mother who has been searching for her daughter for years, after she graduated high school and disappeared into the dirty kid/freight riding lifestyle.

She immerses herself into the hobo/riding lifestyle, and contacts multiple riders (including a former StP member), rail workers, and even bulls, to find out why her daughter had left everything behind to immerse herself in this strange world, and where she might have gone.

If you ride...hell, if you are here on StP at all, I can almost guarantee you will enjoy this podcast. Great thing to listen to waiting on trains. Full description from the podcast below:

Screenshot_20230210-175845_Spotify.jpg

Last edited:

sevedemanos

Reaction score
City of The Rails - 'I've gone and made a fool out of everyone'

Just came across this podcast, and I find it interesting as all get out.

The premise is the story of a journalist mother who has been searching for her daughter for years, after she graduated high school and disappeared into the dirty kid/freight riding lifestyle.

She immerses herself into the hobo/riding lifestyle, and contacts multiple riders (including a former StP member), rail workers, and even bulls, to find out why her daughter had left everything behind to immerse herself in this strange world, and where she might have gone.

If you ride...hell, if you are here on StP at all, I can almost guarantee you will enjoy this podcast. Great thing to listen to waiting on trains. Full description from the podcast below:

View attachment 69687

just found this by chance recently. went searching for the “drift” podcast you posted.

this one on coltons pretty rad bc this kid she interviews says some real shit about the lifestyle.

so cool to listen to bc nobody knows what its like. and those of us that do never feel like bringing it up or otherwise feel the need to put words to bc why

roguetrader

Reaction score
great podcast - but all the time I'm thinking what a little shit Ruby is for disappearing without a word on graduation day ! as another parent comments 'while she was off being free we became prisoners'.... the people who raise us are often straight and infuriating, but they usually deserve some level of respect for everything they've done for us...

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
great podcast - but all the time I'm thinking what a little shit Ruby is for disappearing without a word on graduation day ! as another parent comments 'while she was off being free we became prisoners'.... the people who raise us are often straight and infuriating, but they usually deserve some level of respect for everything they've done for us...

Ya, I often feel really bad for the narrator of the podcast, its made me tear up a bit a few times, not gonna lie.

But I mean, girl obviously has some trauma/mental illness throughout her life, and sometimes that makes you just have to leave. I get it. Sucks, but I get it...at least to a point.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
no fuck all of you

i tear up too. my sister did afterall commit suicide at fifteen and i have since witnessed my parents slowly losing their shit since 2008, and my mother is already homeless. i mean i have to turn that shit off sometimes.

but you dont get it. narrator doesnt get it. sometimes maybe life is just boring. or else, for some of us, the native blood runs too strong

Reactions: imaginarymax

sevedemanos

Reaction score
yeah but thats her daughter.

had to turn the thing off a couple of times before bc that kind of stuff really hits a nerve and i get teary eyed. family shit is rough, man. pretty intense listening to her story sometimes

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

Marticus

Reaction score
This podcast moved me too. As a father and a former traveller, I can identify with both the mom and the daughter. The thing I find really jarring though are the ads. After hearing all these hobos explain why they renounced the rat race, it's weird to jump right into fast-talking pitches to invest in gold or buy anti-microbial sponges.

MichelleA66

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score

Ruby's mom seemed like she
This podcast moved me too. As a father and a former traveller, I can identify with both the mom and the daughter. The thing I find really jarring though are the ads. After hearing all these hobos explain why they renounced the rat race, it's weird to jump right into fast-talking pitches to invest in gold or buy anti-microbial sponge

MichelleA66

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished the first season. Look forward to Season 2. I prematurely posted a moment ago. Someone mentioned Ruby being a little shit for not telling her mom. I agree that her mom seemed like she deserved at least a goodbye. But as you learned, Ruby def had some mental health issues. Great podcast with great music.

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Black Decameron

Reaction score
Like many of you, I listened to this podcast several months - and really enjoyed it - until discovering that Danelle Morton’s story is a complete fabrication.

As one apple reviewer comments: “Morton’s story is a flat out falsehood. How do we know? She wrote about her daughter over 10 years ago in The Boston Review and even gave interviews with her daughter. At that time Morton was trying to exploit the tragic death of 8 homeless kids in New Orleans. They called themselves travelers—Generally young adults who left conventional society to travel and bum around the US. These 8 died in a fire in a building they were squatting in. Morton’s daughter was briefly part of this lifestyle but had nothing to do with the kids in the fire. But, Morton used the tenuous connection to sell a story. Fast forward 10 years, and now Morton has created an entire fictional account of her daughter becoming a “traveler” and her search for her on the rails. Morton’s daughter did not disappear on the day of graduation without any word to her family. In fact, she was in college at the time when she decided to drop out. She told Morton what she was doing. All of this is in the 2011 article and subsequent interviews. Morton never went to railyards to look for her daughter or went anywhere to look for her daughter. This entire podcast is a fiction recreated 10 years after the event in which Morton falsely portrays her actions as some sort of contemporaneous search for her daughter. I could go on and on about the falsehoods presented in this podcast. It’s disgusting that Morton presents this as real. For anyone curious about the truth, just search for “Danelle Morton and NPR Here and Now” to listen to her talking in 2012.”

Here’s the link: https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2012/01/24/new-orleans-travelers

Last edited by a moderator:

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Like many of you, I listened to this podcast several months - and really enjoyed it - until discovering that Danelle Morton’s story is a complete fabrication.

As one apple reviewer comments: “Morton’s story is a flat out falsehood. How do we know? She wrote about her daughter over 10 years ago in The Boston Review and even gave interviews with her daughter. At that time Morton was trying to exploit the tragic death of 8 homeless kids in New Orleans. They called themselves travelers—Generally young adults who left conventional society to travel and bum around the US. These 8 died in a fire in a building they were squatting in. Morton’s daughter was briefly part of this lifestyle but had nothing to do with the kids in the fire. But, Morton used the tenuous connection to sell a story. Fast forward 10 years, and now Morton has created an entire fictional account of her daughter becoming a “traveler” and her search for her on the rails. Morton’s daughter did not disappear on the day of graduation without any word to her family. In fact, she was in college at the time when she decided to drop out. She told Morton what she was doing. All of this is in the 2011 article and subsequent interviews. Morton never went to railyards to look for her daughter or went anywhere to look for her daughter. This entire podcast is a fiction recreated 10 years after the event in which Morton falsely portrays her actions as some sort of contemporaneous search for her daughter. I could go on and on about the falsehoods presented in this podcast. It’s disgusting that Morton presents this as real. For anyone curious about the truth, just search for “Danelle Morton and NPR Here and Now” to listen to her talking in 2012.”

Here’s the link: https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2012/01/24/new-orleans-travelers

I'll have to research this more. If your claims are true, we need to bring this to light.

There isint alot I can't see from this link other than it being from 2012. But I'll check it out and get back to this link when I get to a place I can load it more efficiently.

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've read a whole lot about this woman. Mostly from people who know her and her daughter. They don't have many good things to say about the mothers intentions. I can't really drop quotes because it's all from a group conversation that's intended to remain private. But just keeping it vague, I will say that everything @Black Decameron mentioned above appears to be very accurate and honestly that's just kind of scratching the surface. The rabbit hole certainly goes a lot deeper and I don't believe that woman is being honest in the way she's presenting the story nor does she have good intentions.

It reminds me of when my brother was murdered. There's this guy that barely knew my brother and my brother didn't even like that guy. That guy is an aspiring white rapper tweaker who makes really shitty music. he made this whole ass convoluted track about my brother's death including audio excerpts from the news story when it happened. It was super offensive to friends and family and just kind of confused us all like who even is this guy, we barely know him and what we do know is that Jeremy didn't even like him. So why was Jeremy the focal point of this shitty tweaker rap song?

You could tell the guy was basically trying to attach himself to the situation like he thought it might give the listeners some kind of impression that he's intertwined with "big time drug dealers" and murder, which is apparently "cool" in that dudes mind. People do some strange things for attention. Danelle Morton's story leaves me with the same skeevy feelings. It doesn't feel like her heart is in the right place.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
On another but somewhat related note is this lady has to be about the 4th person to say they're gonna do a series on Dirty Mike. I wonder if even she realized the guy beat a homeless tweaker to death and then tried to steal Sidetrack's life story for notoriety.

Last edited:

Black Decameron

Reaction score
I first became aware of the deceptive content within “City of the Rails” through several reviews left in the Appstore. Typically, these reviewers only gave it one or two stars – and thus have since been buried beneath a sea of adoration. However, back in April or May (can’t remember exactly when I listened to this series) they were much more prominent. I consulted Apple reviews in part because I was confused by several aspects of the production (the high volume of advertisements interrupting each episode, the absence of corroboration by Ruby or her father throughout the series, and being unable to locate any of Ruby’s music online) but mostly because I really enjoyed the podcast and wanted to see what others had to say about it. Through several comments left by other reviewers, I learned about the possibility that Ruby is not in fact her daughter’s real name, but rather Marissa Spoer – that she did not drop out of high school on graduation day after singing her song “made a fool of everyone” to a teary-eyed audience, but rather spent a brief period of time as a traveler while taking a break from college (and had in fact informed her mother prior to departure) – and that she had little or no connection to the travelers involved in the 2010 New Orleans squat fire.

One of the reviewers provided links to both a 2012 NPR Here and Now interview, where both Marissa (“Ruby”) talks about her time as a traveler, and a 2012 Boston Review article concerning the New Orleans Squat fire. A casual visit to these links will verify these claims – no great powers of deduction are necessary. Ruby’s name is actually Marissa Spoer, she did not drop out of high school to pursue a life as a traveler without telling anyone, and when asked if she knew anyone involved in the squat fire, Marissa answers, and I quote, “I knew one of the girls – a friend of a friend – but I never met her,” which sounds to me like she didn’t know any of them at all. But why does any of this matter? After all, it’s a podcast. Entertainment. Who cares?

It matters because this podcast is portrayed as a work of investigative journalism, told through the lens of a contemporaneous search for the narrator’s daughter, as she endeavors to understand the world into which Ruby has disappeared. And Danelle uses the story of her daughter’s disappearance to gain sympathy and support from listeners and those she interviews throughout the series: current and former travelers, musicians, railroad workers, etc. (It’s been a while since I listened to the podcast so the details are a bit fuzzy) but in essence, she uses the story of her daughter to gain access to a world which she, as an outsider, would most likely be unwelcome.

The existence of this deception also causes one to question the veracity of reporting with regard to other aspects of the podcast. Those of you who are or have been involved in railroad culture are better qualified to comment on the technical information included in the series. But as a casual listener, I would like to know the extent to which participants in this podcast were aware of truth of Danelle’s story.

After my last comment here on STP, I discovered an email exchange between Danelle Morton and Samantha Hodder (whoever that is), in which Danelle admits to blending the timeline concerning events surrounding her daughter’s disappearance her contemporary investigation of railroad culture. Search ‘City of the Rails Q and A with Danelle Morton.’ Here are a few of her remarks:

Danelle: “I've been looking into the rails for 14 years, ever since my daughter disappeared into the world of hobos. When I got the opportunity to do a podcast, I blended the timeline of the year and a half she was away with my present day forays into the train yard.”

[DM] “We hired a former hobo, now podcast sound pro, to go to the train yard and record sounds.” This raises the question, was that whole segment involving trespassing upon railroad property with the railroad worker also fabricated? And by extension, was this whole podcast perhaps scripted and recorded by actors in a studio?

With regard to the episode concerning the squat fire, Danelle states, [we] “found some other sources who had been in New Orleans at the time of the tragedy and used their recollections to re-create the atmosphere of the squat and give the listener a more vivid, audio-first sense of the reason hobos are drawn to New Orleans.”

And lastly, she states that she has “a helluva story with Dirty Mike, with whom I've been corresponding for 11 years. I've got more than 200 letters from him that describe every aspect of being part of a murderous gang on the rails, including hand-drawn maps of his murders.”

Perhaps, as this interview suggests, season 1 was merely a prelude to her story about Dirty Mike, whom she has been corresponding with for over a decade. In any event, this podcast and the deception it contains is particularly irksome (to me) and should receive far more criticism from the travelling and journalism community. Had the narrator framed this series as a docudrama concerning railroad culture that is loosely based upon the brief period of time her daughter spent riding the rails while on break from college, few listeners would take issue. But she doesn’t do this. Instead, she portrays this podcast as a work of investigative journalism – a medium concerned with the search for truth – yet the process by which she gains the trust, sympathy, and support of those she interviews, and the listeners supporting this podcast, is completely lacking in journalistic integrity. How are we to trust any of the content of this podcast or anything that is presented in Season 2?

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I first became aware of the deceptive content within “City of the Rails” through several reviews left in the Appstore. Typically, these reviewers only gave it one or two stars – and thus have since been buried beneath a sea of adoration. However, back in April or May (can’t remember exactly when I listened to this series) they were much more prominent. I consulted Apple reviews in part because I was confused by several aspects of the production (the high volume of advertisements interrupting each episode, the absence of corroboration by Ruby or her father throughout the series, and being unable to locate any of Ruby’s music online) but mostly because I really enjoyed the podcast and wanted to see what others had to say about it. Through several comments left by other reviewers, I learned about the possibility that Ruby is not in fact her daughter’s real name, but rather Marissa Spoer – that she did not drop out of high school on graduation day after singing her song “made a fool of everyone” to a teary-eyed audience, but rather spent a brief period of time as a traveler while taking a break from college (and had in fact informed her mother prior to departure) – and that she had little or no connection to the travelers involved in the 2010 New Orleans squat fire.

One of the reviewers provided links to both a 2012 NPR Here and Now interview, where both Marissa (“Ruby”) talks about her time as a traveler, and a 2012 Boston Review article concerning the New Orleans Squat fire. A casual visit to these links will verify these claims – no great powers of deduction are necessary. Ruby’s name is actually Marissa Spoer, she did not drop out of high school to pursue a life as a traveler without telling anyone, and when asked if she knew anyone involved in the squat fire, Marissa answers, and I quote, “I knew one of the girls – a friend of a friend – but I never met her,” which sounds to me like she didn’t know any of them at all. But why does any of this matter? After all, it’s a podcast. Entertainment. Who cares?

It matters because this podcast is portrayed as a work of investigative journalism, told through the lens of a contemporaneous search for the narrator’s daughter, as she endeavors to understand the world into which Ruby has disappeared. And Danelle uses the story of her daughter’s disappearance to gain sympathy and support from listeners and those she interviews throughout the series: current and former travelers, musicians, railroad workers, etc. (It’s been a while since I listened to the podcast so the details are a bit fuzzy) but in essence, she uses the story of her daughter to gain access to a world which she, as an outsider, would most likely be unwelcome.

The existence of this deception also causes one to question the veracity of reporting with regard to other aspects of the podcast. Those of you who are or have been involved in railroad culture are better qualified to comment on the technical information included in the series. But as a casual listener, I would like to know the extent to which participants in this podcast were aware of truth of Danelle’s story.

After my last comment here on STP, I discovered an email exchange between Danelle Morton and Samantha Hodder (whoever that is), in which Danelle admits to blending the timeline concerning events surrounding her daughter’s disappearance her contemporary investigation of railroad culture. Search ‘City of the Rails Q and A with Danelle Morton.’ Here are a few of her remarks:

Danelle: “I've been looking into the rails for 14 years, ever since my daughter disappeared into the world of hobos. When I got the opportunity to do a podcast, I blended the timeline of the year and a half she was away with my present day forays into the train yard.”

[DM] “We hired a former hobo, now podcast sound pro, to go to the train yard and record sounds.” This raises the question, was that whole segment involving trespassing upon railroad property with the railroad worker also fabricated? And by extension, was this whole podcast perhaps scripted and recorded by actors in a studio?

With regard to the episode concerning the squat fire, Danelle states, [we] “found some other sources who had been in New Orleans at the time of the tragedy and used their recollections to re-create the atmosphere of the squat and give the listener a more vivid, audio-first sense of the reason hobos are drawn to New Orleans.”

And lastly, she states that she has “a helluva story with Dirty Mike, with whom I've been corresponding for 11 years. I've got more than 200 letters from him that describe every aspect of being part of a murderous gang on the rails, including hand-drawn maps of his murders.”

Perhaps, as this interview suggests, season 1 was merely a prelude to her story about Dirty Mike, whom she has been corresponding with for over a decade. In any event, this podcast and the deception it contains is particularly irksome (to me) and should receive far more criticism from the travelling and journalism community. Had the narrator framed this series as a docudrama concerning railroad culture that is loosely based upon the brief period of time her daughter spent riding the rails while on break from college, few listeners would take issue. But she doesn’t do this. Instead, she portrays this podcast as a work of investigative journalism – a medium concerned with the search for truth – yet the process by which she gains the trust, sympathy, and support of those she interviews, and the listeners supporting this podcast, is completely lacking in journalistic integrity. How are we to trust any of the content of this podcast or anything that is presented in Season 2?

This makes me kinda sad to hear all the evidence you've provided about the podcast, but im sure glad you did. I fell for that shit head over heels apprarently.

The deception is fucking maddening. And it makes the riding culture even more venerable to outside critique that it already is.

Thanks for the info. I'll edit this post when I get to a point that I can, including the deception in the title....some fucking people, shit. I really wanted that podcast to be sincere....unfortunate it looks like that isint the case.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads