Chicago Squats | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Chicago Squats

natkalia

Reaction score
There are tons of abandoned buildings in Chicago though. I don't know much about squatting or specific places really, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard in a city like this. I see a lot of abandoned industrial-looking buildings along the metra tracks coming down from the northern suburbs. Those are probably shitty places though because they're right a long the tracks so you'll probably be seen pretty easily and also I have no idea what kind of [potentially hazardous] stuff used to be made/was used in those buildings so I dunno, I personally would avoid them. Like I said I don't really know much about squatting, but I'm just throwing out ideas.
Sometimes when I'm in Hipsterville Wicker Park there are some Crusty Oogle types hanging around so you might be able to talk to those guys/girls and get some info?
Yeah I've noticed a lot of them from the train too, but they definitely sketch me out haha. I know of a bunch of abandon places on the west side, but I'm trying to avoid that city because I used to cop out there for years, plus cops fuck with me constantly because I'm white and in general it's just not a place I would want to live, but unfortunately it's the only part of the city I'm familiar with 100%. As you can see I'm in a pretty big pickle but I definitely appreciate the feedback. But as you suggested, I'm going to just take my chances with talking to strangers considering I have nothing to lose

natkalia

Reaction score
The best thing about the NATO/G8 thing is the fact that it's in Chicago.

1. What the fuck were they thinking?
2. What the fuck were they fucking thinking?
3. Omg, thank you to whoever the fuck wasn't fucking thinking.
4. I am so excited to see friends I haven't seen in years.
5. Smash the state, etc etc.
6. Friends!
7. Let's all make new friends!
Hahahaha I was legit thinking the same exact thing. I would like to shake the hand of whatever genius though that holding it in Chicago was a good idea. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some new people and find some people who have any idea where theres a legit squat. I'm so friggen stolked dude you have no idea

natkalia

Reaction score
I had a one in humboldt park couple summers ago.. had been vacant for years before i found it may still be? look around, it was intollerably hot so i just climbed out the window n slept on the roof of the neighboring building
For sure thanks for the heads up. Wheres it at? And I know I hate the summers in Chicago, humidity is my worst enemy

natkalia

Reaction score
I have looked into the G8 thing after a post or two here mentioned it. I would fucking love to make it out there for it; meet some cool people, pay a visit to my ex to piss off her new boyfriend, and be a part of this amazing gathering. I am jealous of all that get themselves there in time.

Also, natkalia, hopefully you find some really chill people to kick it with. Be careful.

- Agni
Dude you're gonna be missing out! Sucks that you won't be able to make it but I'm sure we will all fill you in on it and all the madness that's going to take place

W

wehavethemap

Potomac, if yer walking away from the park it's on your right.. and obviously the only vacant one there.. at the time.
Lot of time has passed since then but Ive seen parts of Chicago that never change.

Agni Riniari

<(-.-<) ^(-.-)^ (>-.-)> ^(-.-)^ <(-.-<)
Reaction score
you won't need to buy a totally new filter.

Hm. I was not aware of that. I thought that, due to the aging of the carbon and filter material, the masks you could buy were somewhat useless, unless you found or made a new filter.

- Agni

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
It seems I'm gona have to change my plans, i was gona be there May 17th,but I may be there 1 week earlier to scout the place and get setled. I want to squat a place, anyone who wants or needs a crew let me know I got no problem getting into anything abandoned, I'm not the one to chicken out.

EDIT: just got megabus, arrive the 14th.

ceege

Reaction score
Man, making me nostalgic all this talk about my city. And that's funny about G8, I had no idea. G20's in Mexico now, that isnt too far away for...?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads