Chicago Hot Dog Boner (Horrible Gaffe of Heinz) | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Chicago Hot Dog Boner (Horrible Gaffe of Heinz)

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
When Andy described the Chicago Dog makeup, he didn't do it fully. A purist demands a Vienna brand all-beef frank, anything else is frowned on. I, like Andy, grew up in the Chicago area. Same towns at times but years apart. He's younger; I am older and wiser. Sheesh, he didn't remember Vienna all-beef dogs. Maybe he couldn't spell Vienna. He offered an excuse, "I'm a stoner, forgot." Come on, mota use does not cause forgetfulness.

Matt, is Anna another Chicago flatlander? She turned you on to the Chicago quirk, where did you try your first dog? Did she put it together or did you buy it from a Chicago Dog cart? Curious.

Something I've never tried is a Sonora Dog. This rascal fits in well in the southwest. I'll have to call around the many Mexican grocers/delis in my area, track one of these babies down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoran_hot_dog

Sonora Dog:

The Sonoran hot dog is a style of hot dog popular in Tucson, Phoenix, and elsewhere in southern Arizona. It originated in Hermosillo, the capital of the Mexican state of Sonora, in the late 1980s. It consists of a hot dog that is wrapped in bacon and grilled, served on a bolillo-style hot dog bun, and topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, and a variety of additional condiments, often including mayonnaise, mustard, and jalapeño salsa.

The Sonoran hot dog is prepared and sold by vendors called "dogueros" at street carts. It was estimated in 2009 that over 200 places in Tucson purvey the Sonoran hot dog, and that Phoenix has even more.

This is what got me interested, a comment from another:

-Hey Meathead and crew! You guys are missing Sonoran Dogs on your website! Bacon wrapped hot dog on a bolillo roll with refried beans, cheese, pico de gallo, spicy green tomatillo salsa, Mexican crema, and mustard. You can get them on street corner hot dog carts in the southwest US and northern Mexico.

If possible, I would use a Vienna dog or lesser all-beef brand. In general, hot dogs are a creepy mystery meat.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads