cheap living in south america? | Squat the Planet

cheap living in south america?

question7

Reaction score
Hey guys, because of a conflict between what classes will be offered in the spring at school I will not be attending during that semester. I had considered continuing working, but am getting burnt out.Instead, i have been kicking around the idea of living(visitng) in south america for 4-6 months, if I can find somewhere very cheap and safe enough to live. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would be open to other places in the world, but just figured south america to become muh better at spanish.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
do you know any spanish? i think you should stop "kicking around" the idea and just go for it. i mean, what's the alternative? gettin burnout everyday working.....i say do it, you'll never know when you'll be able to do it again

Reactions: japanarchist

Salta

Reaction score
hey so the safest places in south america are chile and argentina. if you're looking for safe, brazil is not an option, so you won't be needing portuguese! chile has the best south american economy and has the most diverse geography of all south america. if you like the desert, chile has the atacama desert. if you like tropical chile has the patagonia and easter island. if you like big cities chile has the Santiago and valparaiso which are coastal cities in the metropolitan area. living in chile is expensive for tourists as they don't know where to go. typically if it's offered by the hotel or a tourism service it will be more than 5 times as expensive. so if you're into alternative living and getting to know locals you can live very cheaply in chile.

Reaction score
So often, Uruguay is over looked. If you like the idea of being in a more European-esque area (think North Carolina meets Spain), you would love Uruguay. It's the safest of ALL Latin American countries, and has the most progressive laws and policies. Abortion has recently been legalized, along with great strides being made in gay and lesbian rights. Ganja is pretty much legal (personal consumption), and some even call Montevideo the Amsterdam of the Southern Hemisphere. The population is quite small, mostly in the capitol city. The rest of the country is quite rural, where the gaucho is alive and well. Most food is organically grown, and the water is some of the cleanest in the world due to the lack of industrialization. It's eastern edge consists of miles and miles of undeveloped coastline, dotted with shanty towns. The interior is rolling hills, and grassland. The weather is mild, hot in the summer and cool in winter with no natural disasters beyond droughts and occasional strong winds / rain due to the lack of geographical features.

If you want to see a great example of large amounts of people squatting public land, google Cabo Polonio.

If you can't tell, I love Uruguay.

Yani

Reaction score
Yes! ^^ I have fond memories of Uruguay. When I was little we used to go across the river to Montevideo for our holidays. But that was a loooong time ago .... 'tis nice to know it is doing so well. I'm pleased. Thanks for the input.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Colombia is by far the best Latin American country to visit..fucking love that place.....any place can be dangerous or safe to be honnest...I backpacked through Latin America 8 years ago started by crossing at San Diego to Tiajuana...We didnt speak a word of Spanish, but learned the basics pretty fast...no choice.
There is no point in getting restless and leaving to go to some other safe and boring place to get restless. Adventure is about hitting the unknown. That trip pretty much was a turning point for me and my friend and Ive since spend most of my time traveling the world.
Was it dangerous at times..yes, more than Ill type here..but it was fuckign amazing...all that to say, dont go away just to be safe and do nothing.....you can stay home like everyone else if thats what you want..save the money.

On that note Colombia was the safest and most chill of all the countries Ive visited down south..been back 5 times since....and not for cheap cocaine either. It has a bad rap due to past issues but shes thriving now.

Auto

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have to second the Uruguay suggestion.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Personally I'm thinking India as a possible place to grow old..........
India is fucking Insane! I spent four months there this year..hoped freights too..Craziest country Ive been to bar none...bring your patience if yo ugo there

Auto

Reaction score
India is fucking Insane! I spent four months there this year..hoped freights too..Craziest country Ive been to bar none...bring your patience if yo ugo there

They have a newish rule that you have to leave for 3 months now after being there for 6 months, but you can always just got to Nepal or somewhere for those three months then get another visa for India, Nepal is probably my favorite place I've been before.

elperegringo

Reaction score
uruguay is where it's at. it's not that exciting to travel through (no epic mountains or caribean coastline) but it's got to be one of the best places on earth to live. progressive govt, super cool people, you can squat easily and anywhere. hitching is easy (but traffic is sparse, so you gotta waitsometimes), if you learn how to drink mate people will be even cooler to you. and its safer than anywhere in the americas. every little town has a soccer stadium. they all have unlocked press boxes. best free hotel ever.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads