cheap and light temporary shelter | Squat the Planet

cheap and light temporary shelter

anynameyouwish

Reaction score
they (I think) are recyclable, and if you go out right after an election and ask around, you might be able to get some sheets of chloroplast for free (they might be small though)

anynameyouwish

Reaction score
to quote a random website i found on the internet: (https://www.coroplast.com/technicalinfo/faq.htm) "Yes, in most cases, standard Coroplast plastic sheets are 100% recyclable. We encourage the recycling of Coroplast plastic sheets. Due to the durability ofCoroplast it can often be reused. If the product is no longer usable we recommend removing any non-polypropylene accessories if applicable and recycling."

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i think this guy made something similar for towing with a bicycle?

Reactions: V4wandering

anynameyouwish

Reaction score
looked up pricing for chloroplast. it costs $19.00 at the home depot for one sheet! ONE! go to a recycling centre. it should be cheaper to get a sheet there. or just go around stealing campaign signs.

Last edited:

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
I totally need to build one of these. I could fit a large LiFePO4 battery in the floor and cover the outside with solar panels. This could be a very livable off-grid shelter. I already have off-grid rapid car-like transportation, so this fits well with my overall preferences and ethos. A 1 kW solar array, 2 kW inverter, and 10 kWh battery would suit such a shelter very well. It would end up weighing around 350 lbs with such a large battery, but my trike has an electric motor to pull it up steep hills and I would need to make a tow mount for it. Shelter plus charging station all in one, and I could even run a welder or power tools off of the battery in the camper and recharge with solar panels.

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Here's a link to a trailer that a customer who purchased Paul Elkins' plans built:

Sarah's homeless push cart project - Elkinsdiy - https://elkinsdiy.com/jsflsjf/

And another, towable by bicycle:

Tim's bicycle camper - Elkinsdiy - https://elkinsdiy.com/tims-bicycle-camper/

It should be possible to insulate it well enough that an electric blanket plus your body heat could keep you quite toasty during the winter, with minimal energy use. Plus you could carry a sleeping, cooking, and storage space with you on a bicycle. With solar panels and a battery pack, it becomes a mobile power station, which you could even charge from an electrical outlet if one is available.

The whole design is very thoughtful and offers lots of possibilities. $1,000 could get one a lot of comfort in that living space. Average people pay twice that for 1 month's rent on an apartment, plus utilities on top of that.

Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads