Charlotte, NC/Columbia, SC

moopy

Reaction score
So I'm playing with the idea of taking a week long excursion to either of these places, and I was wondering about any cool places to check out, any flop/punk houses that might be down for housing me for a few days, sign flying/busking laws, etc. Basically I just need to pay some bills, but I've had no luck getting a job where I'm at. I've been itching to go out and about for a bit, too, so I figure I'd hit multiple birds with one stone. If anyone has any info for me, lemme know what's up. Thanks.

Az Tek

Reaction score
Hey, I don't really know anything about Columbia. I'lll be hoping through there in a few days but only for a sec. However if your coming to NC unless you know someone in Charlotte or have a reason for going there other than to make money I would strongly suggest going to Asheville instead. Higher tolerance, lots of kidds, better opportunity for busking/panhandling/music etc. Charlotte Mecklenburg has one of the highest crime rates in the Nation. Law is strictly enforced and is all around not a good city to be homless in. Now if you plan on having a place to stay there it's not to bad. Some cool things to do. I use to live there and so my opinion might be bios. But yeah I would most deff hit Asheville. but get a few more opinions first. Happy travels.

moopy

Reaction score
Do trains run from Columbia to Asheville? I'm in between those places (Rock Hill, SC) right now. I've been to Asheville before. I know some people there, too, but I don't really want to travel too far from home, so meh. From what you're telling me, Charlotte sounds like a no-go for me. Thanks for the heads up about it.

Az Tek

Reaction score
one sec let me look

Az Tek

Reaction score
Ok, there are tracks but there all over the place man. they zig zag and stop in small towns and theres no way for sure to know which ones are primary tracks with out being there to see. your best bet is to hop north. there will be a NBD leaving Columbia that goes through rock hill into Charlotte than head West to Asheville from Charlotte. sorry i cant be more help. Were gonna be hopping into Columbia tonight. I could help you if you were there.

moopy

Reaction score
Stick around? In Rock Hill? Yeah I'll be here for a couple more days at least. If you'll be in Columbia tonight and you've got the time and are willing you should fly/busk around, get a feel for the place and come back and let me know how it is.

Az Tek

Reaction score
I would but me and a friend are just passing though. Heading for Cali. I'm hoping to stick on the same train when it arrives or it just cruise through the yard and keep going.

moopy

Reaction score
Alright man. Good luck and safe travels.

--------------------------------------------------------------
So Charlotte is a no go and I'm not willing to go to Asheville. That still leaves Columbia on the board. Any info folks?

Az Tek

Reaction score
Yup you to bro. Sorry I wasn't more help.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
good sign flying spot just north of charlotte.. where the "charlotte motor speedway" is...concord mills blvd/bruton smith rd.....the northbound exit is good, as are the medians(by I-85)........ if you wanted to get on a train, for the fuck of it you could hitch to salisbury NC, actually about 7 miles north of there east spencer/yadkin area...northbounds stop under I-85 where it crosses the lil river there...southbounds farther north...blaahh

FLoP

Reaction score
I went to jail for a night in Charlotte then got out just before they served breakfast, then got hit by a car......

Az Tek

Reaction score
I went to jail for a night in Charlotte then got out just before they served breakfast, then got hit by a car......

Bad luck much?

Any advice about Columbia Bryan? As far as how friendly the yard workers are and strickness of the police?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads