carrying a rock pick | Squat the Planet

carrying a rock pick

Richard174391

Reaction score
hey so i really enjoy geology rocks/minerals and i since ive been thinking about what im packing recently was wondering if it was realistic to carry a rock pick. not a huge tool but probably a few pounds, i could find a way to strap it to my bag but i can also imagine it causing some issues. what is everyones opinion on doing so? and to clarify i will be carrying my backpack on my back most of the time.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
If I saw a traveller carrying a rock pick I'd automatically find at least 5 obscure ways it could be used for destruction, murder, vandalism and whatnot, that being said, I imagine this full size thing that poaches out 10 inch either side of your backpack. If that isn't the case, I imagine that if the size of it doesn't reach further out than your backpack it won't look intimidating and wouldn't cause the same mental disrupting pictures as the first example. That's my 2 cents.

Preacher

Reaction score
If it is something you want and think you'll use and are willing to carry, then go for it. Some people lug around banjos/guitars because they think it is ""essential". For them, it is. No persons pack list is "correct" or "one size fits all".

For this type of item, take a look at a welding 'chisel head chipping hammer'. Weighs much less then a full hammer. You can get them for $5 -$6ish at Tractor Supply type places.

EDIT: Though I'm a 'shiny rock collector' too and have yet to need a hammer or chisel. 90% are right on the surface. You just have to look down. The other 10% are through trades.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I've actually considered carrying one myself. I just have to get rid of all my excess jewelry making stuff and books before I go out on a mining expedition. Also due to its relatively inexpensive cost it could be expendable if your tired of carrying it..

@Whereamiwhatdoido it could be construed in someones mind as a weapon but legally it couldnt I guess it could be a way to defend yourself in a pinch but could also serve as a deterrent.

Also remember to look up if its legal to actually use said tool while out and about looking for minerals. Some national parks have a strict surface level only pick up policy.

• Useful
Reactions: Richard174391

Dmac

Reaction score
If you think you will use it, take it! I would consider just taking along a hatchet and a rock chisel. The hatchet would be much more useful and with the chisel, you could do everything a rock hammer could.

• Useful
Reactions: Richard174391

Richard174391

Reaction score
hey everyone thanks for the input! im gonna think on this some more. ya i have been using it for a while and know where to and where to not for the most part but im gonna look into getting an effective alternative if its lighter.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads