carrying a rock pick

Richard174391

Newbie
Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Messages
28
Current Location
los angeles
hey so i really enjoy geology rocks/minerals and i since ive been thinking about what im packing recently was wondering if it was realistic to carry a rock pick. not a huge tool but probably a few pounds, i could find a way to strap it to my bag but i can also imagine it causing some issues. what is everyones opinion on doing so? and to clarify i will be carrying my backpack on my back most of the time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lightning Samurai
Joined
Dec 31, 2015
Messages
141
Current Location
Frederikshavn, Denmark
If I saw a traveller carrying a rock pick I'd automatically find at least 5 obscure ways it could be used for destruction, murder, vandalism and whatnot, that being said, I imagine this full size thing that poaches out 10 inch either side of your backpack. If that isn't the case, I imagine that if the size of it doesn't reach further out than your backpack it won't look intimidating and wouldn't cause the same mental disrupting pictures as the first example. That's my 2 cents.
 

Preacher

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 28, 2015
Messages
200
Current Location
Lansdale, PA
If it is something you want and think you'll use and are willing to carry, then go for it. Some people lug around banjos/guitars because they think it is ""essential". For them, it is. No persons pack list is "correct" or "one size fits all".

For this type of item, take a look at a welding 'chisel head chipping hammer'. Weighs much less then a full hammer. You can get them for $5 -$6ish at Tractor Supply type places.

EDIT: Though I'm a 'shiny rock collector' too and have yet to need a hammer or chisel. 90% are right on the surface. You just have to look down. The other 10% are through trades.
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
1,142
Current Location
51-59 W Nevada Pl, Denver, CO 80209, USA
I've actually considered carrying one myself. I just have to get rid of all my excess jewelry making stuff and books before I go out on a mining expedition. Also due to its relatively inexpensive cost it could be expendable if your tired of carrying it..

@Whereamiwhatdoido it could be construed in someones mind as a weapon but legally it couldnt I guess it could be a way to defend yourself in a pinch but could also serve as a deterrent.

Also remember to look up if its legal to actually use said tool while out and about looking for minerals. Some national parks have a strict surface level only pick up policy.
 

Dmac

Hobo
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
1,153
Current Location
outside omaha
If you think you will use it, take it! I would consider just taking along a hatchet and a rock chisel. The hatchet would be much more useful and with the chisel, you could do everything a rock hammer could.
 
OP
Richard174391

Richard174391

Newbie
Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Messages
28
Current Location
los angeles
hey everyone thanks for the input! im gonna think on this some more. ya i have been using it for a while and know where to and where to not for the most part but im gonna look into getting an effective alternative if its lighter.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lightning Samurai

Similar threads


About us

  • Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$30.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

Gotz trainz on the brainz
I just got back to LA from the Bay - it was a very busy but happy trip. Went to Mt. Diablo, went to Berkeley and the City, even met up with @beyondthepaleogender! I did Craigslist rideshare both there and back, and both rides went fucking awesome :) Gonna post up for a bit and then I will (finally) begin hitchhiking east. Also - as of yesterday, I have been modding /r/Runaway for exactly a year now! :)
Been a while since I last posted on this thing.
Being stuck in PDX for the winter sucked n I’m looking to hit the road to NorCal in May.
Why would anyone wan to love like you?
Live by their rules or live by your own. . don't have kids
Today I am most grateful for water towers
Gonna be in Cheyenne for the first time today. If you’re in the area, stop by the crown bar and come rage!
I have a day/night to kill in the Bay Area if anyone is bored.
its friday. someone has your lunch money in their pocket... its time to get down!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,641
Messages
215,793
Members
13,301
Threads in last 24 hours
6
Messages in last 24 hours
42
Members in last 30 days
926
Latest member
SFerTrappedinPDX