Canes or walking sticks | Squat the Planet

Canes or walking sticks

Turbo E

Reaction score
So I read the other threads related to this idea but I have another question about it and did not want to necro old threads.
So, I know, the greatest weapon is my mind and to learn how to avoid dangerous situations and places. Yet the few times Ive had the shit kicked out of me, I regretted not having a way to defend myself.

Im thinking of using a wooden cane, problem is is that I have a hiking pole for my tarp set up and this wooden pole would be another long thing Id have to carry.

My question is, could I get away with using the hiking pole or should I go ahead and attain a wooden cane.

The reason Im thinking cane over using my knife or a smiley is limited problems from the law and keeping distance from my attacker.

Also I guess Ive kinda worked myself up being an idiot watching videos of people being killed, side note but It honestly scares the shit out of me.

• Wow
Reactions: Mannequin Man

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hiking pole should have a point to it right? So it's already more of a deterrent at a distance then the blunt end of a simple cane.

Staff/Cane like accessorizes are not a bad idea.

Reactions: Turbo E
D

Deleted member 2626

if your thinking this much about self defense man get a gun. the walking pole will be fine. multi purpose and if needbe defend against dog and tweakers, mostly tweakers

Turbo E

Reaction score
Its not that I am terrified, this wouldn't be the first time I've been homeless but just something convenient to get me away from someone or give me the upper hand.

Jerrell

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one since first seeing the post and finally decided to toss in my two pennies.
I have a bad back and used one of those carbon fiber hiking sticks with a handle more like a cane (kind of a T handle I guess) for a couple years. Got into a few scuffles with it in tow and though it dented once, I think that was when it hit a door frame and not a shin or other bone. It served my intended purpose when needed, but in a life or death situation...wood is heavier. Heavier means a little more oomph in your swing and possibly more control.

Reactions: Turbo E

Turbo E

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for this. I was thinking of something along the lines of wood, but ive decided to stick with the trekking pole only because of portability and the fact that it serves two purposes, one being to keep my shelter up.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads