Calgary

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Say what you can about Calgary.

I have been for almost 3 days, not a single traveler in sight. When I ask people where the "traveling punks hang out - y'know, the somewhat grimey, often khaki-clad kids with large backpacks and dogs who sit on the street and collect change," they usually refer me to 17th Ave. and 7th St. where the pubs and patio strip is, or Kensington where the organic and pot shops are. Kensington usually sports a few hippies, but they're less than helpful.

I generally like Calgary, escept it's much to big of a place to get stuff done. Have to take a couple rides just to get to a hardware store or so, and that's after you even find one. People here generally "don't know" when you ask about something, and generally stare at me (I look a little more conservative than most travelers). It beats Albany, NY and Cleveland, OH, but seriously, Calgary and Edmonton have made Winnipeg look like a traveler's dream. We've got an anarcho book shop, and a central place where it'd be hard not to see at least 1 or 2 travelers, any day or every night up to 2am.

Anyways, gonna try to take CP west tonight. I slacked with scouting out locations, obtaining supplies, and stuck around kinda hoping to meet up with somebody. But nobody. Just one quasi-hitching hippie with a spider tattooed on his forehead who was going up on the hill to do some yoga, and advised me not to train hop, since there are tunnels out west and people have died in them. This has been the extent of my subcultural experience in Calgary.

There are some decent parks to sleep, a LRT or bus ride out of downtown. Let me know if you want to know where. Wish me luck. Even though it's my first night trying to jump outta here, if I don't make it tonight, I might just hitch a bit. I'd hate to miss the scenery, but I'm sick of wandering around ALL bloody day by myself.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads