Buying undeveloped land advice needed

DuHastMich

Wayfarer
Current Location
Kokomo, United States
Big issue for many of the <$2k-$4k lots in this area winds up being road access. The two main access roads for my lot are interrupted by erosion and washes, so I wind up having to take a circuitous route and even that can be hard on a truck.
That's music to my ears.

My hope is that I find at least a flat piece of land out your way that's slightly off the beaten path. Less police to fuck with me. Less b.s. I have to deal with when I'm there. I'm not reclusive, just like space and the thought of knowing I can spend a week or two in the desert without having to answer to anyone.

I do have a 4x2 capable of some rough terrain, too. So I'll probably build a tiny (functional) home with only the bare necessities, dig a deep enough compost hole for waste, outfit it with a bunk and call it a day.

A

AnOldHope

I deleted myself
That's music to my ears.

My hope is that I find at least a flat piece of land out your way that's slightly off the beaten path. Less police to fuck with me. Less b.s. I have to deal with when I'm there. I'm not reclusive, just like space and the thought of knowing I can spend a week or two in the desert without having to answer to anyone.

I do have a 4x2 capable of some rough terrain, too. So I'll probably build a tiny (functional) home with only the bare necessities, dig a deep enough compost hole for waste, outfit it with a bunk and call it a day.
That sounds like a good place to have for a lot of reasons.

Since I bought the land in the beginning of 2013, Mohave Sheriff has only passed through here twice, mostly just concerned I'd set up a meth kitchen. They haven't been out in years.

I will say if the property is unattended for a significant time, it may get hit by burglary, the others out here I've talked to have almost all been hit, so if you leave any unattended solar, tools, etc, they may be taken. If your lot was far enough out and the structure wasn't particularly visible from the road, you may avoid even that.

DuHastMich

Wayfarer
Current Location
Kokomo, United States
When I get the land bought and staked out, I won't swing a hammer until I'm there full-time. I just want to get a decent piece of land for a decent price with fair taxes, even if there are no city utilities or whatnot.

Stiv Rhodes

Pilgrim
Current Location
Seattle, WA
The best deal on property that exists is the IRS foreclosure auctions. That's how I got a piece of land recently. They happen at a different time of year in every county. One good thing to know is that most property slated for auction gets the taxes paid off at the last minute and gets taken off the auction block, so don't waste time looking at properties in person until the week of the auction. I just got a piece of land from them in my area a few months ago. It is not legal to live on a piece of property that doesn't have a sewage hookup or septic tank. Composting toilets do not count. It is not legal to live on a property without running water. It is not legal to live in a structure that was built without a building permit and doesn't conform to certain size specifications. Specifics may vary locally. In my area it is not legal to live in an RV on your own property. They are actively cracking down on tiny houses built on flatbed trailers and classified as camper-trailers in my area. I am living in violation of many building codes and am doing so by classifying my tiny house as a storage shed and designing it to look like one from the outside (no windows.) A structure below a certain size which varies from county to county, and which has no plumbing, is classified as an accessory structure and requires no building permit. Any property zoned residential can be used as a personal recreational property or a private park, so I've declared my primary use of this land to be a personal orchard.

callmeG

Current Location
farmville, NC
It's unfortunate, but it's pretty much impossible to live simply and cheaply and still be "legal" these days. I still plan to give it a shot though.

Tatanka

Hobo
Current Location
Potter County PA
I have to agree a bit callmeG I almost bailed on my site because of sanitation issues. But I've spent less than a thousand on privy and once the tanks in the ground, neighbor friend sometimes employer is gonna do it, I'm legal. No electricity or water and my taxes, though I fully am against this establishment, are less than 200 bucks a year. I am off grid and way cheap. Spent less than 20 bucks the last week or so. . . And I have two animals. I scrounge work and try to save what I can. And I
Live Way simply. No vehicle. Pack burro. I have a few water sources around including neighbors well, rain and a few clean springs. Cook mostly on fire but sometimes my little pocket stove.

OP
marmar

marmar

Wanderer
Current Location
New mexico
So just an update, I most likely won't buy land. I had no good feelings about any piece of property that I looked at, and there were a few. And I figured since I don't like anything that I see, I probably just don't want to do it. It's hard to describe exactly why it doesn't feel right but it just feels that way. The history of this country and my personal one probably have something to do with the feeling. Like it saddens me a lot, that the original peoples of this land have nothing left. Just ghettoed on some tiny territories, while the whole country is owned by settlers. I really hate the "posted private property" signs. I think this country needs no more privately owned land. And since I'm not even from here, it just is not the right thing to do to buy a land. Fuck it. But the good news is that I found some people that let me build my cabin on their property. So I'm doing that instead. If it comes out good enough so I can live winters in it, then I will be happy enough. At least for a couple years. After that, will see

Reactions: lone wolf

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Current Location
folks who know me have my #.
cool..
if you're in the northeast MarMar & you need help with maps or title research (should you find something that feels ok), let me know.

yah.. private property is a fucking disease on this planet..

Reactions: marmar