Brought here by providence | Squat the Planet

Brought here by providence

Scruffy Idealist

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for a resource like this for quite awhile. About a week ago I tried to start a blog about my ideas, and this is the only thing I've really written for it so far. If you read it you'll get to know me pretty well.

For the past few years, I've had a strange feeling that there was something wrong with the way our culture programs us to live--spending most of our adult lives doing a job we hate just so we can pay off the things none of us could afford to buy in the first place. In college I became extremely depressed because I thought that this was what was ahead of me. Also in college, I became very interested in ecology and environmental activism. I hadn't yet realized that the discontent I felt with my life path was related to the ecological issues on our planet.

This past summer, I read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Now, I know that most people who read Ishmael don't walk away and drastically change their lifestyles, but I honestly felt trapped in the culture in which I lived, and the ideas presented in Ishmael empowered me to find a different path. There was nothing wrong with me not wanting to spend my life slaving away for the American Dream. I was a healthy mind living in an unhealthy society.

But how could I go about breaking away? Hermitism never appealed to me because I am a hopeless extrovert, and I thrive when I am part of a community. I have neither the will nor the finances to start my own lonely homestead. I want to live with others who share my values. Where could I find these people?

By chance, one day I stumbled upon this vague article from Daily Mail. My heart pounded and hope swelled in my chest. But where could I find these people? A few desperate Google searches later, I stumbled upon this website.

Right now I'm temporarily living with my family in Bloomington, Indiana---working to save up some money. I was planning on going WWOOFing out in Colorado this summer. I was thinking that WWOOFing and working odd jobs in between would be a good way to support a lifestyle that would somewhat fit the one I was after, but I really want to find a permanent band of other misfits to live with. I don't want to hop around by myself my whole life. I'm a vagabond but not a lone wolf. I need to run with a pack.

Which brings me to my other point: I have a dog. She is a one-year-old coonhound and is just as adventurous as I am. In order for her to feel happy, she needs lots of open space where she can run around unleashed. She is very loving and friendly but she needs to feel free or else she will get stressed. Urban environments are too stimulating for her sensitive nose. A lot of WWOOFing farms accept dogs, so that's why it was such a good option for me. But honestly, I would much prefer to join up with another group of vagabonds that is much more experienced than me in this lifestyle. So if anything I say rings true to you, PRETTY PLEASE HIT ME UP.

I'm going to the Piedmont Earthskills Gathering this April in North Carolina doing a work-trade program. I'll be leaving my puppydog behind for the week when I go. Maybe I'll meet some other people there, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to this website, so I will absolutely poke around some more and do my own initiating, but I figured I would go ahead and post this detailed account of what I'm looking for just in case someone else reaches out first.

BardoBard

Reaction score
Hey, good luck with your adventures. I've been looking for people to travel with for awhile without luck, usually go solo instead, for now at least.

Anyways, do be wary of other travelers, there are some cool people on the road, also a lot of borderline personalities.

• Agree
Reactions: roughdraft

roughdraft

Reaction score
Amazing, and I relate quite a lot. It would be my favorite thing to have people to travel with fulltime longterm who I can trust and relate with. I have had inklings of this manifest but for the most part it ends in either friendships terminating or other priorities coming up either for them or myself, which is all good.

on another note I too had serious issue with how crazy the uspc medical clearance is (after a mountain of research - full disclosure i was rejected not invited ><) ....they really put the clampdown on their own volunteers.

Glad to read your post

edit: just read yr first blog post, brilliant stuff. take good care of yourself you got a lot goin for you

Last edited:
Reactions: BardoBard

BardoBard

Reaction score
[×]

The hardest part for me has been finding people with a similar pace and destination goals, I'm a tortoise

Loads of gear and crippled from injuries

Last edited:
Reactions: roughdraft

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
heck of an intro, welcome to the community! i think there's a lot of people out there that want something similar. im not quite ready to settle down myself, but i have started thinking about the far future in terms of building a place we can come together and live communally. basically a hostel meets punk bar with a blacksmith shop and garden :p i have a thread about it where we're spitballing ideas if you wanna check it out:

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/stp-homebase-headquarters-social-center-project-discussion.37560/

anyways, let us know if you need help with anything here!

D

Deleted member 21429

Welcome and best of luck to ya! If you have amazon prime I think the movie - Leave No Trace (2018) might interest you. Its along the lines of The Guardian link you added to your intro. ~ peace

roadwarriortim

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for a resource like this for quite awhile. About a week ago I tried to start a blog about my ideas, and this is the only thing I've really written for it so far. If you read it you'll get to know me pretty well.

For the past few years, I've had a strange feeling that there was something wrong with the way our culture programs us to live--spending most of our adult lives doing a job we hate just so we can pay off the things none of us could afford to buy in the first place. In college I became extremely depressed because I thought that this was what was ahead of me. Also in college, I became very interested in ecology and environmental activism. I hadn't yet realized that the discontent I felt with my life path was related to the ecological issues on our planet.

This past summer, I read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Now, I know that most people who read Ishmael don't walk away and drastically change their lifestyles, but I honestly felt trapped in the culture in which I lived, and the ideas presented in Ishmael empowered me to find a different path. There was nothing wrong with me not wanting to spend my life slaving away for the American Dream. I was a healthy mind living in an unhealthy society.

But how could I go about breaking away? Hermitism never appealed to me because I am a hopeless extrovert, and I thrive when I am part of a community. I have neither the will nor the finances to start my own lonely homestead. I want to live with others who share my values. Where could I find these people?

By chance, one day I stumbled upon this vague article from Daily Mail. My heart pounded and hope swelled in my chest. But where could I find these people? A few desperate Google searches later, I stumbled upon this website.

Right now I'm temporarily living with my family in Bloomington, Indiana---working to save up some money. I was planning on going WWOOFing out in Colorado this summer. I was thinking that WWOOFing and working odd jobs in between would be a good way to support a lifestyle that would somewhat fit the one I was after, but I really want to find a permanent band of other misfits to live with. I don't want to hop around by myself my whole life. I'm a vagabond but not a lone wolf. I need to run with a pack.

Which brings me to my other point: I have a dog. She is a one-year-old coonhound and is just as adventurous as I am. In order for her to feel happy, she needs lots of open space where she can run around unleashed. She is very loving and friendly but she needs to feel free or else she will get stressed. Urban environments are too stimulating for her sensitive nose. A lot of WWOOFing farms accept dogs, so that's why it was such a good option for me. But honestly, I would much prefer to join up with another group of vagabonds that is much more experienced than me in this lifestyle. So if anything I say rings true to you, PRETTY PLEASE HIT ME UP.

I'm going to the Piedmont Earthskills Gathering this April in North Carolina doing a work-trade program. I'll be leaving my puppydog behind for the week when I go. Maybe I'll meet some other people there, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to this website, so I will absolutely poke around some more and do my own initiating, but I figured I would go ahead and post this detailed account of what I'm looking for just in case someone else reaches out first.
i have been on the road many year's, our culture worships money thats really the way it is, poor travellers are always one step away from getting some kind of a ticket, been to jail more than once, i have heard of and seen a group of people called rainbow something? the meet in quartsite az during the winter they travel in busses, outside of them not sure that what you want is doable, most people find one town stay for a while than uproot a moments notice, group size one or two, got to have money to keep things glued together, good luck

Scarlettadele

Reaction score

Hi there!
I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing, and my plan is, well, I actually don't have a plan, but I like yours.... so let me know how it goes

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads