Book suggestions to further my self-education (1 Viewer)

Roxy

Rambler
I am on my own personal journey of self-education and i was wondering if anyone had any good book suggestions. I am into most non-fiction genres, particulary history, philosophy and politics.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
I just read:

Last of the Hippies - Penny Rimbaud
Carsick - John Waters
With No Direction Home, Homeless Youth on the Road and in the Streets - Marni Finkelstein

They were all quick reads and really good, but I have some specific interests within the non-fiction genre so they may bore you.

I'm currently in the process of reading about 15 other books, but time is the issue!!!!!

"The Trouble with Diversity" - Walter Benn Michaels I've been wanting to read for a while, and I have a copy. Books are so cheap these days, I get everything used on Ebay.

Last edited:

MetalBryan

Vagabond
For non-fiction, a favorite author is Daniel J Boorstin. His trilogy...
The Discoverers: A History of Man's Search to Know His World and Himself (1983)
The Creators: A History of Heroes of the Imagination (1992)
The Seekers: The Story of Man's Continuing Quest to Understand His World (1998)

is incredibly thorough and well written in the sense that he ties as much of the content together as possible.

For something outside of the western patriarchy... a friend gave me a copy of A Personal Anthology by Jorge Luis Borges and this book is interesting because each short story or poem is translated by a different person. Here is one of the first poems that stood out to me...

Composed in the early 1960s, here is the last stanza of that poem:

His great-grandson is writing these lines
and a silent voice comes to him out of the past,
out of the blood:
“What does my battle at Junín matter if it is only
a glorious memory, or a date learned by rote
for an examination, or a place in the atlas?
The battle is everlasting and can do without
the pomp of actual armies and of trumpets.
Junín is two civilians cursing a tyrant
on a street corner,
or an unknown man somewhere, dying in prison.

Su bisnieto escribe estos versos y una tácita voz
desde lo antiguo de la sangre le llega:
– Qué importa mi batalla de Junín si es una gloriosa memoria,
una fecha que se aprende para un examen o un lugar en el atlas,
La batalla es eterna y puede prescindir de la pompa
de visibles ejércitos con clarines:
Junín son dos civiles que en una esquina maldicen a un tirano,
o un hombre oscuro que se muere en la carcel.

Website
www.manintweed.com
Oddly enough one of the books I've found enlightening is Living Alone and Loving It by Barbara Feldon, that's right good old Agent 99 from Get Smart. There are some slightly dated oblique references (e.g. the whole it's ok ladies you can want sex) but it is a nice simple book about how to live alone. I'm totally not the target audience (i.e. male and married) but I found her advice on how to deal with lonliness very useful.

It can be a bit difficult to get a print copy but the link points to the archive.org copy you can borrow provided you like reading with their interface or are stuck with adobe fucking edition software.

Kawika

Anything by Joseph Campbell or Ralph metzner and I'm about to finish Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance it's really wild. Women who run with the wolves by Clarissa pinkola estes p.H.D. is so phenomenal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Coronavirus, Murder hornets, race riots...level 6 jumanji starts tonight
Well spanged up enough for a greyhound dipping this thursday thx! For the help!
My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.
Always sucks to see good ppl/new friends get back on that ironhorse after getting to hangout/know, be safe friends an stay in touch! @Koala @scutellaria, maxy, Henry an well. Wish I was enroute South with y'all!
I hate my fucking back. A combination of bank bullshit and now a strained or sprained back had kept me held up in Pennsylvania. Have a place to stay, but I'm pissed at life trying to keep me off the road!
Fuck it, I'm getting a bottle
Wheat2020 wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
I'mma cut to the chase: You don't call me what I consider to be a slur or insult, and I won't call you names.
You say I should love myself and have more self-confidence. You've got it all wrong. I love myself plenty, and I know for a fact that I am capable of doing incredible things, both good and evil.
You say fake it till you make it. I'm too honest for that. Instead I will have faith in myself, and act accordingly.
These new rules for the train riding forum are ridiculous. I've been on here for 5 ish years.

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
llohnny