block island.

JohnFNB

Reaction score
me and a friend of mine hitched up to new london connecticut this summer. from there we caught a ferry over to block island, which is part of rhode island. it was awesome there...the whole island was small enough to walk across in just a few hours. the coolest part about it though was a few of the local guys who had set up a pirate radio station in the bottom of a bar they worked at. they put us to work and payed us in alcohol and food...however im a vegetarian, but my friend cooper wasnt so he got to eat without me. the downfall though was the police on the island were nazi as fuck and if you werent a tourist they harrased you. sleeping on the beach was illegal and was strictly enforced. but if you ever end up there try and find the bars and ask around..the locals have lots of tips that can really help.

JGRO

Reaction score
I've crashed on the beach twice in 2008 and 2009 and never been hassled, except once by the high tide. Even saw a guy getting out of a tent on the beach at about 9 a.m., surrounded by tourists who had clearly slept in beds but I think a tent is too hi-vis. Just be smart about it, find somewhere not too accessible, i.e. below the cliffs and above high tide line and from my experience you will be fine.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads