Bivvy Sacks

man of the forest

Reaction score
when i arrived in California i opt for a bevy instead of a tent for size and weight purposes found out it keeps me dry warm and almost sound resistant as well. woke up in a puddle of mud one morning dry and warm. light weight i have a camouflage one too so out of sight in any dark place or even gras tall or short. big plus.

kecleon

Reaction score
Sorry didn't realise just saw all the Norway stuff. Swedish seem to make a load of solid outdoor stuff my knife is a Mora and i love it. Fallkniven knifes look sweet as well. Swedish firesteels.. Silva compasses too right?

I'd like to try and make something like it, like a light weight multipurpose heat reflective tarp.. I don't see where the price is going but maybe in Sweden you have military surplus stores for a better price?

Art101

Reaction score
Picked up a modular sleep system complete for 44 bucks on amazon, been wanting one for awhile now cant wait to try it out.

Art101

Reaction score
Just got my modular sleepin system. Was kinda sketchy on it for the price but this thing is like brand new. No rips, tears, or even snags.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
Just got my modular sleepin system. Was kinda sketchy on it for the price but this thing is like brand new. No rips, tears, or even snags.

Dude, I've got one and it kicks ass, slept a few times in below 0 temps and was warm and toasty. My only complaint is it's a bit on the heavy side, but the performance can't be beat especially for the price.

Kye

Reaction score
Dude, I've got one and it kicks ass, slept a few times in below 0 temps and was warm and toasty. My only complaint is it's a bit on the heavy side, but the performance can't be beat especially for the price.
I've used one on multiple occasions, and I've never been cold while sleeping in one. I really should buy one for myself; I'll just have to shop around to find a good deal.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
While out in Europe for the past couple years, travelin' about, I used a hammock/tarp combo. For hitchhiking I found a tarp to be a lot more versatile, low profile, situational awareness is much better (no doors!), when it's raining you're free to move around a LOT more, and when it comes to the law police ( from my experience) seem to care less about a tarp and more about a tent. In europe that whole camping vs bivying thing can be pretty grey in their eyes.
The biggest downsides to a tarp are NEEDING a fence/tree/pole to keep it propped up, mostly. If it's pissing rain it's a definite. In high winds you better have a tarp staked down well... Going through a storm in a tarp is not so great. Tents have bugnets, can prop up just about anywhere (given space), and can be a few temperatures higher inside (or more if you do the candle thang).
For me, I just don't think I could tent it long-term. Too many reasons to go the tarp way.

I also have the US army bivy bag. Got it for about $24 from http://www.hassayampasurplus.com/ (can't see them there anymore). Haven't used it yet, but during my time in the Canadian army, our bivvies were absolutely beautiful. I would say take a tarp or a poncho with you as well, as having a bivy as your only shelter would restrict you a lot and confine you to such a small place... If it rains for hours or days you aren't going to be so happy.

For my next big trip (around the world by hitchin') I will either take my bivy and a tarp/poncho, or keep my eyes out for a good hammock (mine is good, but it's not so great for pitching on the ground as tent as it lakes tent poles... which I could also look for). There is a thing in development, the "alpine hammock" (google it) which is basically a tent in hammock form. Looks like it could be pretty good.

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score
For those with a bivy and hook it to your bag externaly, how do you prevent rips and tears? I just bought one for what seems like more then j shoulda had to pay (mind you I also got a sick jacket for free in the deal aswell so meh..) and id really like to not have it rip or tear on me..

DesertRat

Reaction score
For those who use desiccant in their bivvy (a really good idea), a cheaper alternative would be to get a handful of fresh cat litter, put it in a ziplock bag, and poke a few holes in the bag with a push pin/thumbtack for breathability.

Easier to get, and cheaper to!

You could substitute a 35mm film cannister for the bag for durability, if you can find one.

• Useful
Reactions: MJhitcher

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
For those with a bivy and hook it to your bag externaly, how do you prevent rips and tears? I just bought one for what seems like more then j shoulda had to pay (mind you I also got a sick jacket for free in the deal aswell so meh..) and id really like to not have it rip or tear on me..

What about wrapping that up in a sleeping mat if it will be on the outside? Or use a tough drybag. I've never been a fan of more delicate things being on the outside of the pack, especially when it comes to tarps, sleeping bags, and things that could mean some bad problems if ripped.

D

Deleted member 2626

I bought a bivy awhile ago used it about twice. I mostly bought it to use with anothet bag to add warmth but it just condensates. Tarp over you does the same.thing but still keeps in body heat I can attest to that. Bivy is now my dads if he so chooses to use it.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
Curious, Tatanka, what material was it made from? I never had troubles with my Canadian army bivy, but it was goretex. Tarp + bivy is best. Either by themselves CAN be troublesome. I spent last winter in Greece with just the tarp and the condensation was... horrible. Also, when just using a tarp, if there is a strong wind + rain you gotta have that tarp down tight or you'll not be getting much sleep.

Art101

Reaction score
I sometimes get that issue but a little goldbond powder goes a long ways. Most winters I work outdoors in the snow so Goldbond is awesome for moisture and odor control in boots. The cheap route is just some talc or corn starch.

D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah mine was goretex but us I believe. Camp bivy. You could still use it and retain lots of heat and keep out rain and snow effectively but I'm not gonna carry it. Just keeping a military camo poncho now to go along with my tarp

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads