Bivvy Sacks | Squat the Planet

Bivvy Sacks

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
After every adventure I always find myself improving my gear and the way i do things.
I've been interested in bivvy sacks recently, opposed to hammock tents (theres just not always gonna be trees...) I was just curious to see what y'all had to say about simply sleeping in a decent bivvy sac in the rain, does it actually keep you dry? Im just sick of running across the street in the middle of the night in my undies with my sleeping bag draped over my neck trying to find the closest doorway only to be kicked in the ribs in the morning. Then having to hope for sun to dry it all out in the day.
Thanks

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Bivys are great for everything except for when it rains for days on end. Then you need at least a tarp over head, otherwise your basically stuck in your sleeping bag which sucks. Personally I'm a big fan of them

Reactions: Bl3wbyyou

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the DD modular hammock - I like it because of the tent poles makes it more roomy in the hammock and if there are no trees around you can still set it up on the ground as a bivy. check it out:
ddhammock.jpg

yoder

Reaction score
USMC gortex bivy sack/sleeping bag
I bought this off of eBay New for 120$
best system I have ever used, keeps the mesqettios out in the summer,warm, 110% waterproof for days on end in downpouring rain.
Perfect breathabillty
no condensation

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389482650194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389482650194.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 725
D

Deleted member 20

I have used goretex bivy sacks while traveling & suggested them for years on stp. I too like the rugged & affordable military surplus versions. I own a lot of current issue military gear. In my opinion the cheapest way to get the best gear for the buck is to buy direct from returning veterans. Since i was in the military myself i know how when you get out of the service you dont want to see camo anymore. The trick is to buy complete collections on craigslist. They got this gear for free & most likely were supposed to return it. Make an offer for everything, keep what you want & sell the rest piece meal. Online/retail Army/Navy stores can be expensive.

Last edited:

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Online/retail Army/Navy stores can be expensive.

im fortunate enough to have a hookup in a main one by me... she gets whatever for free if she grabs it before it hits the shelf, or for like 5 bucks I think (like her discount is that for basically anything, all she pays is 5 bucks)

kecleon

Reaction score
I love bivis its so easy just throw it down and sleep while everyone fucks around with tents and trying to find i spot. If you're stealth camping you can't beat it you fit anywhere you fit. They'll keep you dry as good as any tent it's what they're designed to do.

It sucks if it rains for any amount of time but really it does in a small tent as well and more when you have to pack all that shit away wet. At least a bivi is small easy to hang or shake dry someplace. I carry an umbrella a lot if its raining I'll put it up over the head of the bivi and stake it into tbw ground while I sleep cause I like to leave bivis cracked open to cut down on condensation plus you don't feel like you're in a coffin.

They also add some degrees to your sleeping bag and you can use it as a waterproof bag in your pack.

I only take a tent if I'm sharing it with someone or several people then split the load. Otherwise don't see the point unless you want to spend loads of time in it.

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
USMC gortex bivy sack/sleeping bag
I bought this off of eBay New for 120$
best system I have ever used, keeps the mesqettios out in the summer,warm, 110% waterproof for days on end in downpouring rain.
Perfect breathabillty
no condensation
how much did that weigh

kecleon

Reaction score
Its about 9lbs but it's a seriously good deal even if you only use the bivi its goretex and you'd pay a lot more for a new gpreyex bivi than the whole system. The bivi is 1.5lbs. One sleeping bag is around 3lhs the other around 4lbs. It's a great deal.

kecleon

Reaction score
Damn sorry in talking about the modular sleep system that thing is different. The sleep system can also be had for way less money.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I would suggest at least having a roomy and sturdy rain poncho with you too, one with eyelets in it so you can have the option of a little bit of roof over part of your bivy. Really though, it all depends on various factors like weather, your travel style, and what you are planning on doing.

D

Deleted member 20

Id like to see a simple blue plastic tarp work in the winter, with ummm snow? My goretex bivyvsack will kick your cheap ass tarps asses every which way till sunday! Its good in all 4 seasons, lightweight, breathable, wind proof, water proof & farely inexpensive used ($20-$45). Combine the sleeping bags & you are set. I have used canvas duck tarpaulin shelter 1/2s almost 20 years ago in snow & ECWS currently. With a simple cheap blue tarp, wind will get in & moisture cant get out. Perfect recipe for hypothermia.

Last edited:

kecleon

Reaction score
You get these bivis from Norway as used by their military called jerven bags. Its like a bivi, tarp sleeping bag tent poncho hammock and more all in one. It's basically a big tough rectangle of waterproof heat reflective material with insulation sewn in and waterproofed zips.

You can lay it out flat like a ground sheet or tarp or use the zips and eyelets to make it into all different configurations. You can only get it online from Norway, and they're expensive but look awesome. There's some video reviews on YouTube. Or their sites in English jerven.com

Def gonna recommend the usgi gortex bivy. Like a few others said already its great. Three nights of downpour and don't get any water inside. But unlike a tent there's no where for your gear. When it rains I throw a poncho over my Ruck and hang it just off the ground.

Jimyf had a good point about stealth camping. Bivy is low profile easy to hide.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
You get these bivis from Norway as used by their military called jerven bags. Its like a bivi, tarp sleeping bag tent poncho hammock and more all in one. It's basically a big tough rectangle of waterproof heat reflective material with insulation sewn in and waterproofed zips.

You can lay it out flat like a ground sheet or tarp or use the zips and eyelets to make it into all different configurations. You can only get it online from Norway, and they're expensive but look awesome. There's some video reviews on YouTube. Or their sites in English jerven.com

Jerven is a Swedish company iirc, they just happened to sell them to the Norwegian military

But I don't know how good they are, and at a >$200 (1400kr minimum) export price, you'll probably end up paying a shit ton more than that, they better be AMAZING when you can get the entire usgi sleep system for less than $100

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads