Bike Trailer Homes!

cozmic

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this little article, but I thought some of you might find it interesting. This guy has a bike trailer home that he is selling for $1,950 O.B.O., but maybe some of you might be interested in building your own just like it...? Either way, I think this is pretty cool.

---

motorbikehome.jpg

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/11/bike-trailer-homes.php

Some might say that Brian Campbell has been living on the street for thirty years; others might suggest that he has mastered the skill of lightweight mobile living, with a blue styrofoam roof over his head and wheels under. He rode his previous pedal powered RV from Mexico to Oregon, reaching speeds of seventy miles per hour. The design was inspired by the lunar lander and covered by Warren here.

Unlike the artist-designed popup shopping cart camper we showed recently, Brian actually lives in his creations. Jonathan Maus of Bike Portland writes that he has now gone into business making them for others as well.

It is essentially built out of rigid insulation, so it is very light. Jonathan describes it:

Brian has perfected the fabrication of an all-weather enclosure that is light, insulated, very stable, and road worthy. This model is 8′ x 4′ and weighs only 80 pounds. It has a spacious interior that fits a sleeping adult (or two?), has many interior shelves, and is priced to sell (he's asking $1,950 but says he'll take offers). He can modify the hitch custom for any bicycle.

Is this a good approach to the problem of homelessness? Brian has mobility and a roof over his head, but it is pretty bulky. However the box can be removed and the trailer used as a food cart, so perhaps it can actually be a live-work unit.

It is definitely not as cool as his older bike motorhome, but is a lot simpler and cheaper to build.

wartomods

Reaction score
as awsome that looks, a bike with rack panniers, a tarp and a sleep bag beats it in every way

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yea... I would say... not very practical. agreeing with war to mods

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads