Bike touring as a beginer | Squat the Planet

Bike touring as a beginer

Tommythecat

Reaction score
So i have no experiance bike touring but im look into it.. Im looking into building a decent roadbike and saving up for some decent gear.. Ive hitch hiked alittle bit and rubber tramped but i really want to bike tour.. Im currently in denver colorado but have been thinking about biking back to my home state delaware for my brothers wedding in october.. Which google maps is saying its 1,927 mile bike ride. What do you guys think a reasonable amount of miles would be a day to make? Do you guys even think id be able to do it in say a months time?? And any suggestions or reasources would be greatly appreciated

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I dont know anything about bike touring accept fuck that, so im.gonna give you the genaric resource bar answer and hope it gives you some help. This sites been here better part of a decade or longer. Im.sure there is some info.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I just typed "bike touring miles" into.the search bar and damn!!!! Use the bar man. Ask questions that cant be answered after the bar man.... there's so much info on this website about bike touring distance miles gear how to why whereto it's f****** stupid I don't even know why you asked this question

D

Deleted member 11392

There's a thread about 10 threads down called "Average Daily Distance With Loaded Bicycle". Answers your question pretty well.

D

Deleted member 23824

Ok so I just typed "bike touring miles" into.the search bar and damn!!!! Use the bar man. Ask questions that cant be answered after the bar man.... there's so much info on this website about bike touring distance miles gear how to why whereto it's f****** stupid I don't even know why you asked this question

That’s a heck of a way to reply to a persons first post on StP.

It costs you nothing to be a little gracious and patient toward a newbie.

Pedal to the Metal

Pedal To The Metal
Reaction score
I recently ended a 35000mile /3 year bike tour. Yes, 1900 miles in a month is relatively not a problem. In 2017 I rode 2100 in 20 days on a loaded bike. Don't expect big miles in the first few days. 4-6 days to get your juju in sync. Maybe more. What kind of bike? How much luggage? Pavement only? Budget? Weather? And most importantly, YOU. Alot if people are content with 55-65 miles per day. Do the math. If you have never been on bike tour, or ridden any distance, I'd suggest a good pair of riding shorts. Your ass will be sore, and that will cut into your day. Wrong seat, wrong bike fit/geometry and you could end up with saddle sores no matter what. Most of all, just go ride your fucking bicycle and have fun.

Tommythecat

Reaction score
See fuckin ass hats like you are the reason why i never usually ask questions about traveling period.. Ill go out there like i always have and figure it out my damn self.. But forreal take that holier then thou attitude and shove it up ur ass

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
hi there -and welcome to stp - we have a whole sub forum dedicated to bicycle touring - with lots of links to other resources that you should find helpful. hehe I've added a few there. There are several people here who are bicycling - as well as the one guy on our subforum, kuba jennes, who also runs a facebook group "diy bicycles for dirtbag lifestyles" - this group is quite populated and lively - and there are several resource links there as well.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
The only stupid question is the one not asked, but yeah there’s a ton of resources here; you just gotta take the time to start reading and doing. One piece of advice from me is to thicken your skin from verbal assaults from people enslaved to automobiles. You will soon discover that they will often (but not always!) put you down for being far freer than them. Don’t let the haters get you down.

Tommythecat

Reaction score
The only stupid question is the one not asked, but yeah there’s a ton of resources here; you just gotta take the time to start reading and doing. One piece of advice from me is to thicken your skin from verbal assaults from people enslaved to automobiles. You will soon discover that they will often (but not always!) put you down for being far freer than them. Don’t let the haters get you down.
Oh ive gotten far worse feedback on drainbow rideshare.. And they claim to be a family of loving light?? but its all good.. I ususlly just read up as mch as i can then go do whatever im trying to do and figure out what works for me..

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you're leaving Denver, you can take the Discovery Trail and head East.
As the others say, check out the Bicycle Touring thread on this site.
I wish you all the luck!
In a couple of weeks I'll be touring Wisconsin by bicycle!

• Useful
Reactions: SoyPablo

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Start riding now, if you aren’t working at the moment, go work for a restaurant that has bicycle delivery. Take care of your muscles, they are going to hurt, but at the same time, your cardio is going to hit the ceiling, especially out & up there!

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
If you're in decent shape, 50 miles/day should be totally achievable for a beginner, on the flats. Mountains are a diff ball game. At that rate (1927/50=38.5 days) you're going to need more than a month to do your trip. I'd account extra days for zeros and sightseeing and repairs and rain. I'd give yourself at least 2 months to do that trip. My 2 cents anyway. Welcome to StP.

Reactions: Skit and Zbart1108

Tommythecat

Reaction score
Oh ive gotten far worse feedback on drainbow rideshare.. And they claim to be a family of loving lightbut its all good.. I ususlly just read up as mch as i can then go do whatever im trying to do and figure out what works for me..
If you're in decent shape, 50 miles/day should be totally achievable for a beginner, on the flats. Mountains are a diff ball game. At that rate (1927/50=38.5 days) you're going to need more than a month to do your trip. I'd account extra days for zeros and sightseeing and repairs and rain. I'd give yourself at least 2 months to do that trip. My 2 cents anyway. Welcome to StP.
I feel like i could deff do 50 miles a day.. Ive walked 30 miles no breaks in a day

Reactions: Pedal to the Metal

Tommythecat

Reaction score
Start riding now, if you aren’t working at the moment, go work for a restaurant that has bicycle delivery. Take care of your muscles, they are going to hurt, but at the same time, your cardio is going to hit the ceiling, especially out & up there!
Im about to build a bike for work exchange and once i do that im starting postmates so i can get used to riding alot better and then hopefully have some cash for some gear

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
Building a bike up is the way to go. That way you know exactly how everything works and how to repair or replace parts. I would look for a hard tail(no suspension) 90's mountain bike frame and not a road bike. The mountain bikes have a geometry similar to touring and they are steel. They also have eyelets for racks. The specialized rockhopper/hard rock/stump jumper are some of the go-to frames, but they are starting to get pricey since people know they are in demand.

Three places to invest money when building up are good tires, good chain, and a quality seat.

You could make that trip in a month, especially if you start riding as much as you can before the trip. Get the body used to it and get the butt toughened up. A sore ass sitting on a saddle all day is like self imposed torture

D

Deleted member 21367

@Tommythecat I'm still a beginner at bike touring and if there are a lot of hills like going into the mountains I can only do like 20 miles a day without dying.

"say baby do you wanna lay down with me?" Primus and Tom waits was glorious

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads