Question - Bike route from Cleveland to Portland | Squat the Planet

Question Bike route from Cleveland to Portland

A zed

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll be heading out on my bike leaving from about the Cleveland area hoping to make it to Portland by October 9th for the anarchist bookfair there. I'm fairly confident, though still not 100 percent set, I'm gonna try and catch a ferry up in Michigan across lake mich, instead of going through Chicago to shave off some miles and avoid some weather.

I havent tried to think too much of what all roads I'll be sticking too but a few of the major cities I'll be passing though are:
Cleveland, Sandusky, Toledo, Grand Rapids or Chicago, Green Bay or Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Fargo, Bismark, Dickinson, Miles City, Billings Bozeman, Kennewick and Portland.

If anyone's traveling through these areas at similar times it'd be awesome to meet up for a bit or if we're heading in the same direction ride along for a while.

Also if anyone wants to recommend roads or bike paths, whether they're faster, more scenic or less of a climb that'd that'd nice, especially when it comes to getting through the rocky mountains.

This'll be my first bike tour though this is just about the same route I traveled last year hitchhiking and traveling with some rubber trampers.

I'm gonna be trying not to use my phone much but i might try to do some weekly updates. But it's possible I'll just journal throughout the journey and type that up when I get the chance in Portland.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Tomorrow I'll be heading out on my bike leaving from about the Cleveland area hoping to make it to Portland by October 9th for the anarchist bookfair there. I'm fairly confident, though still not 100 percent set, I'm gonna try and catch a ferry up in Michigan across lake mich, instead of going through Chicago to shave off some miles and avoid some weather.

I havent tried to think too much of what all roads I'll be sticking too but a few of the major cities I'll be passing though are:
Cleveland, Sandusky, Toledo, Grand Rapids or Chicago, Green Bay or Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Fargo, Bismark, Dickinson, Miles City, Billings Bozeman, Kennewick and Portland.

If anyone's traveling through these areas at similar times it'd be awesome to meet up for a bit or if we're heading in the same direction ride along for a while.

Also if anyone wants to recommend roads or bike paths, whether they're faster, more scenic or less of a climb that'd that'd nice, especially when it comes to getting through the rocky mountains.

This'll be my first bike tour though this is just about the same route I traveled last year hitchhiking and traveling with some rubber trampers.

I'm gonna be trying not to use my phone much but i might try to do some weekly updates. But it's possible I'll just journal throughout the journey and type that up when I get the chance in Portland.
Ride to Muskegon, Michigan, get on the Lake Express ferry to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Get on Wisconsin's Bike Route 30 which is the Hank Aaron trail from the lake front out to 124th & Bluemound, then the New Berlin Rec. Trail and head west. Instructions below:

ali

Reaction score
I second the Lake Express ferry, that's how i got across a few years back when i traveled from Detroit to San Fran. It's pricey but it's pretty and sometimes you meet some interesting folks on the deck.

If they open the border, perhaps we will meet going opposite directions - i'm in BC and hoping to get to Florida by way of Detroit/Windsor. Unless my calves have turned to steel by that point, i think i will jump on Amtrak across the Rockies. From what i understand the least intense cycle crossing is Crowsnest Highway in the southeast corner of BC (Kootenays), so if you have a passport and vaccinations that might be worth a look.

Best of luck, i look forward to reading your updates!

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

A zed

Reaction score
Had a really great first day. Did a bit more then 50 miles and found a really nice place to sleep. But day two and everything's already gone to shit. Seems I broke several spokes somehow along the way. I guess it's better they broke here instead of in the middle of nowhere though. Since I'm still close my friends gonna come grab me and hopefully I can get everything fixed and figure out what to do next.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads