Bibs | Squat the Planet

Bibs

adventurekid

Reaction score
I'm a pretty cold person, and so I was thinking about getting myself a pair of bibs. Especially with winter approaching here where I live now...but also i was thinking ahead for the future. Any of you that have travelled with bibs before, is it worth the extra weight in the pack? Do they keep you warm enough? Do you recommend taking them?

A

AlwaysLost

It really depends on your environment. For places that get seriously cold this how I do it. Here are my layers

1. Panty hose - Moisture wicking
2. Microfleece or Polyester - Moisture wicking and insulatory
3. Wool - insulatory
4. Nylon or Goretex - windbreaker (I look like MC Hammer in my Parachute Pants)

Wool over Microfleece and Polyester has been enough for the past few winters but I have used this system and still been sweating at -30*

If you do go with bibs make sure it has a polyester lining. Always remember the mantra in winter. Cotton Kills.

• Useful
Reactions: Coywolf
A

AlwaysLost

@AlwaysLost - can u remind me why cotton kills ? i have heard this before but can't remember the details.....

Drea hit the nail on the head. Cotton doesn't wick moisture away and it loses its insulation value when wet.

Poly fabrics like polyester or fleece wick moisture away from skin and retains some insulation value.

Wool doesn't wick as well but retains most of its insulation value.

Wool sheds wind way better than polyester or fleece but nowhere as good as nylon or goretex.

Hope that helps my friend s

Last edited:

Bedheadred

Reaction score
They are heavy for sure, so it really just depends on is it worth it for you? Would you be carrying as much weight to have enough layers to stay warm? I have a carhart jacket that is pretty heavy and I carried the god dang thing around all summer because I got it kicked down brand new and I knew I would want it in the winter.

If you do decide you want bibs, start checking out thrift stores for a pair of insulated bibs. I've run across quite a few pairs in my travels that way. Or go find some dirty kids and see if anyone has a pair for trade.

Reactions: adventurekid
A

AlwaysLost

They are heavy for sure, so it really just depends on is it worth it for you? Would you be carrying as much weight to have enough layers to stay warm? I have a carhart jacket that is pretty heavy and I carried the god dang thing around all summer because I got it kicked down brand new and I knew I would want it in the winter.

If you do decide you want bibs, start checking out thrift stores for a pair of insulated bibs. I've run across quite a few pairs in my travels that way. Or go find some dirty kids and see if anyone has a pair for trade.

Great tip on the Thrift Store there were 3 sets of bibs in decent condition at the thrift store down the street just the other day.

A

AlwaysLost

i wear a lotta fleece clothing for warmth and fast drying properties - its crap with open fires though, tend to wake up after a drink with holes everywhere due to flying coals....

Yes lol...I wear wool over fleece and if its windy I toss a thin layer of nylong over it. Everything burns though and polys melt.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads