Best place to hitchhike in nevada? (1 Viewer)

Hometown
Shady cove
I'm inretested in hitch hiking from Oregon to Nevada (probably doing it in early or mid june). Any interesting places to go? (Except for Vegas, lived their).

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

stormrider66

Hometown
Anthony, TX
Website
backroads66.com
Rachel, Nevada. Home of the Little A'Le'Inn, which is a restaurant / bar in what seems to be the middle of nowhere, but it's actually the closest town to Area 51. They have a small flying saucer (UFO) hanging from a crane, sitting outside. Other than that, I don't know anything else in the state worth going to.

Dameon

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hometown
Northern California
As a note, Nevada is one of the few states where it's flat-out illegal to hitchhike. They have a state law against it.

Dameon

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hometown
Northern California
For future reference, there's three states in the western US where soliciting a ride is illegal, which is Wyoming, Idaho, and Nevada.

Also, you probably know since you lived in Vegas, but June heat in the desert can be brutal, especially when you're hitching and can't sit around in the shade.

sd40chef

Hometown
everywhere
Maybe around winnemucca? Beautiful area to hike and explore. was only in sparks elko and Vegas and they all kinda sucked, was just restocking. People were friendly and weed is legal.

D

Deleted member 16034

I deleted myself
For future reference, there's three states in the western US where soliciting a ride is illegal, which is Wyoming, Idaho, and Nevada.

Also, you probably know since you lived in Vegas, but June heat in the desert can be brutal, especially when you're hitching and can't sit around in the shade.
I didn't know this about Wyoming. That is a big ol' state full of nothingness, now I'm wondering what happens to the poor idiots who get yanked off a train in Wyoming. Just forced to walk for 400+ miles with nothing around? Fuuuuuuuuck

OP
caffine addict
Hometown
Shady cove
I didn't know this about Wyoming. That is a big ol' state full of nothingness, now I'm wondering what happens to the poor idiots who get yanked off a train in Wyoming. Just forced to walk for 400+ miles with nothing around? Fuuuuuuuuck
Ikr

OP
caffine addict
Hometown
Shady cove
I been to Wyoming and there is nothing for miles. (If you ever go to greybull, don't buy their cheese, it's expensive)

Dameon

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hometown
Northern California
Wyoming is extra the worst about it, not only can you legally not solicit rides, you also legally have to walk on the side of the road with oncoming traffic if you walk the highway, so you can't even be in a place for people to voluntarily offer you a ride. I was out there for a rainbow gathering a while back, and of course the police were being huge jerks about everybody trying to hitch out.

The easiest solution was to wait a couple hours after they warned you, and then do it anyway and pray for a ride before they come back by. In my experience, outside of events like that, it's about a 50/50 chance a cop will tell you they don't really care, they just can't see you doing it. I've definitely hitched in all of those states, but I tend to avoid it if at all possible just because of the extra hassle (which, of course, is the intent of those laws). I've never known anybody to get a ticket over it, although I'm sure it happens. It helps that I don't really like any of those three states anyway.

AAAutin

Wanderer
Hometown
NFA
Wyoming is extra the worst about it, not only can you legally not solicit rides, you also legally have to walk on the side of the road with oncoming traffic if you walk the highway, so you can't even be in a place for people to voluntarily offer you a ride.
The staties let me get away with walking with traffic, as long as I was in the grass...with the rattlers. So, yeah, getting through Wyoming was rough. Idaho was much easier. (Plenty of charitable Mormons.) Never hitched Nevada, but I've only heard hard-luck tales...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $130.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Going nuts! Ehrenberg Arizona....😬
Hi everybody my name is Steve aka Miami Mike from the central coast of California ,more precisely Paso Robles/lake nacimento
Squat in Austin’s north loop! Seeking advice and squat mates as well as offering a place to crash and some company. We got booze and electric?
croc wrote on quad8's profile.
Yo, last night I rode my first autorack! Colton to Yermo in an automax n it was articulated, door open. Love those curved floors so u got a lil hidey wall to chill behind.
Thought of u as soon as we got on lol
Sick as a dog in Texas, once again..
Fuckin' shit
Moondoggy420fl wrote on Cici Carmella's profile.
Go to the gathering in Ocala and you’ll find a ride out of Florida easy as pie
I'm thinking about saving up a little travel money and do some casual freight hopping, it's been almost 3 years :(
Texas bound! Weeee!!!!! 🐌
Must of seen a thousand robins in Appalachicola. Guess that's where they all go...

Beautiful ride from the panhandle through Alabama, big bruised sky all the way until it opened up on me just south of Jackson on 49.

Think I'll head for Terlingua once I finish turning this wrench and dry myself out...

Members online