Best jeans for travel | Squat the Planet

Best jeans for travel

Berky

Reaction score
So I've noticed that some of my jeans have held up better than others, even the ones that are made for "fashion" have done better than tractor supply. I was wondering what experiences you guys have with jeans, like which companies hold up the best, which ones should I avoid, etc.. I'm going to be train hopping this summer and would like to have a pair that will at least last a few months.

Reactions: wizehop

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i've generally been a fan of dickies brand pants both for work pants (slacks) and their canvas pants, which now hold up better than carhartts and look almost exactly the same.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I was wondering what experiences you guys have with jeans, like which companies hold up the best, which ones should I avoid, etc..

From my experience there are not much differences between the brands (or branded vs. no-name jeans). Obviously pants made of thicker denim are better then those made of thin denim (especially many women's jeans).

I would second what the others said ... if you want durable pants I would go for those that are specifically made for work or (genuine, not look-alike) Army pants.

I don't care so much about it. I just wear my jeans until they are ragged or falling apart and then look for a replacement. And where I am traveling at the moment it's not much of a problem. Since I'm on the road I never paid for clothing, always got stuff for free by finding or from charities, food runs or alike.

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
Value: either dickies carpenter jeans which can be had around $20-$30 or you can get 'rustlers' which is wranglers economy line at target and Walmart for something like $12 a pair

Quality: carhartt double knees are great but pricey at about $70 a pair, the dickies are very comparable as far as denim weight and stitching quality but the carhartts have heavier duty zippers and buttons, also one more pocket under the hammer loop side

Wranglers original "cowboy cut" great denim super hardy and comfortable, wear long but drawback is they're only regular 5 pocket jeans.

Avoid: Levi's let's face it their quality has definitely taken a shit and they're more of a brandwhore for the price.

HOWEVER: the 501's are still pretty good with the button fly and can be found at thrift stores cheaply which does make them a good value.

Reactions: Odin

adventurekid

Reaction score
Dickies!

They hold up really well. I wear them when I skate, and they hold up really well.
Sometimes, they can be hard to find in smaller sizes though in the store for whatever reason. so if you were a 28 or a 30, you will have more luck ordering online...at least that's my experience

jaws

Reaction score
I know ya'll are going full rugged and all, but I found some girl jeans in the dumpster that fit me (must've been a big girl, I'm 6'3''). And I have been gliding ever since! They are so stretchy and light. I do construction, farm and landscape work to keep my travels funded. They are pretty beat up at this point, however it's been almost a year and they are still holding. Plus they make my ass look really good!!

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Yeah, @jaws ... it's pretty easy to get some pants or other clothes for free if you need something and put a little effort on it. Like dumpster diving, food runs, charities, etc.

Sometimes if you keep your eyes open you even stumble upon things.

So I see no point anymore in buying clothes ...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads