Best jeans for travel (1 Viewer)

Berky

Lurker
Current Location
Cranberry PA
So I've noticed that some of my jeans have held up better than others, even the ones that are made for "fashion" have done better than tractor supply. I was wondering what experiences you guys have with jeans, like which companies hold up the best, which ones should I avoid, etc.. I'm going to be train hopping this summer and would like to have a pair that will at least last a few months.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
i've generally been a fan of dickies brand pants both for work pants (slacks) and their canvas pants, which now hold up better than carhartts and look almost exactly the same.

Current Location
out there
Carhart double knees are the absolute shit!!!! Double thick on the front of the legs so you can run through thorns and shit and they last so much longer because of the thickness

erisACAB

Lurker
Current Location
Olympia, Washington
I've had luck buying men's pants and altering them to fit me better. You just have to make sure your stitches are solid. I usually just look for em at thrift stores.

Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I was wondering what experiences you guys have with jeans, like which companies hold up the best, which ones should I avoid, etc..
From my experience there are not much differences between the brands (or branded vs. no-name jeans). Obviously pants made of thicker denim are better then those made of thin denim (especially many women's jeans).

I would second what the others said ... if you want durable pants I would go for those that are specifically made for work or (genuine, not look-alike) Army pants.

I don't care so much about it. I just wear my jeans until they are ragged or falling apart and then look for a replacement. And where I am traveling at the moment it's not much of a problem. Since I'm on the road I never paid for clothing, always got stuff for free by finding or from charities, food runs or alike.

CaptainCassius

Pilgrim
Current Location
Abroad, North America
Value: either dickies carpenter jeans which can be had around $20-$30 or you can get 'rustlers' which is wranglers economy line at target and Walmart for something like $12 a pair

Quality: carhartt double knees are great but pricey at about $70 a pair, the dickies are very comparable as far as denim weight and stitching quality but the carhartts have heavier duty zippers and buttons, also one more pocket under the hammer loop side

Wranglers original "cowboy cut" great denim super hardy and comfortable, wear long but drawback is they're only regular 5 pocket jeans.

Avoid: Levi's let's face it their quality has definitely taken a shit and they're more of a brandwhore for the price.

HOWEVER: the 501's are still pretty good with the button fly and can be found at thrift stores cheaply which does make them a good value.

adventurekid

Current Location
Cleveland, OH
Dickies!

They hold up really well. I wear them when I skate, and they hold up really well.
Sometimes, they can be hard to find in smaller sizes though in the store for whatever reason. so if you were a 28 or a 30, you will have more luck ordering online...at least that's my experience

jaws

Pilgrim
Current Location
Tomball, United States
I know ya'll are going full rugged and all, but I found some girl jeans in the dumpster that fit me (must've been a big girl, I'm 6'3''). And I have been gliding ever since! They are so stretchy and light. I do construction, farm and landscape work to keep my travels funded. They are pretty beat up at this point, however it's been almost a year and they are still holding. Plus they make my ass look really good!!

Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Yeah, @jaws ... it's pretty easy to get some pants or other clothes for free if you need something and put a little effort on it. Like dumpster diving, food runs, charities, etc.

Sometimes if you keep your eyes open you even stumble upon things.

So I see no point anymore in buying clothes ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?
I'm leaving MN in Spring!
Does anyone here have experience with shops yard in L.A., i could use a little advice.
Hey all, been a while, a lot has happened! A little update, my bf got charged with domestic & my shoulder is sprained: things are in the works right now and my plan is to get an RV & GTF outta here!

Members online