Best jacket/coat

6bummin6it6

Reaction score
well, a wool trench coat would be the best thing ever, you can always pin it up into a pea coat, and it doubles as a sleeping bag pretty much. but i have a navy issued wool pea coat, a light hoodie, and a denim vest, warm as can be, but i have also survived winters in ohio, wisconson, michigan, that general area in longs johns and two wool sweaters.

when i was a kid (15 or 16) i had a leather trench coat, i got it at a thrift store for less than dollar, broke the wind and the rain, put a hoodie under it and it kept me pretty warm through the winter.

C

Cavemansailor

My jackets made of three deer skins that I tanned hair-on and sewed together with dental floss. Its super lightweight, extra baggy for circulation, and far warmer than anything store-bought. Its kept me quite warm in 20 below zero.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
For myself, who heats up quickly when moving, the layering system is best. A thin shell jacket, like military goretex (single layer, just the goretex) with a mid weight wool or fleece middle layer, and a wicking under layer is the best I've had. I've come to very much dislike the all in one idea for a jacket. Unless I'm at home and don't have to worry so much about weight.

Art101

Reaction score
I like military gear,the older BDU pattern it blends well and is almost invisible at night.It wears well and layered is nice toasty and generally dry.I live in the northwest so dry is important.The gortex is great but the hipsters have discovered it and the price has gone up.Right now I have a flectarn German jacket and with a good base and a fleece layer im good to go.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads