Best cities to regroup/get back on feet?

Reaction score
Long story short was working remote and traveling. But gotta get a new job now.

Plan is to work again while job hunting for another remote position. Save up. Get back out there.

But just dont want to spend half my check every 2 weeks on lving expenses where-ever I go...

Any recommendations? Whole country is an option. Looks like best option is to camp somewhere while working but not sure where that isnt already saturated.

I saw people mention JAX, Colorado and CA in the other thread. Been houseless in WA/CA already and was okay. Im late 20s.
I oddly wanna go to like a moderate sized New England town or something. Vermont, Maine.. but out west has more opportunity for sure.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
NO NO NO NO STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM JAX. Whoever told you that was trolling you. Jacksonville FL is one of THE WORST places to be homeless in. Don't go to Cali either, it's overpopulated and expensive.

If you're under the age of 24, here in NYC there is a program that will help you get section 8, you just have to spend a year on the street. The shelter system here is dogshit, they're supposed to do the same for people above the age of 24 but the services available for those folks are either under budgeted or they're just trying to milk it for every penny. Streetworks ages people out at 24 but they're an excellent program and helped me get off the streets after several years of wandering. They also will help you get social security if you qualify for it, otherwise if you're up for it you can find plenty of work.

My suggestion to you is get your section 8, live here for a year and move with your section 8 voucher. The cost of living is pretty insane.

Edit: additionally, depending on how much of a trash panda you want to be, the spange in parts of the city is really good and there's a lot of dumpster food. There's a lot of spots that are blown up, like 14th Street in Manhattan. If you do come here, I'll show you my old spot as well as how to spot "dumpsters" with fresh food (quotes cuz dumpsters are actually rare, they just pile shit up on the sidewalk)

• Agree
Reactions: leaves and croc
Reaction score
NO NO NO NO STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM JAX. Whoever told you that was trolling you. Jacksonville FL is one of THE WORST places to be homeless in. Don't go to Cali either, it's overpopulated and expensive.

If you're under the age of 24, here in NYC there is a program that will help you get section 8, you just have to spend a year on the street. The shelter system here is dogshit, they're supposed to do the same for people above the age of 24 but the services available for those folks are either under budgeted or they're just trying to milk it for every penny. Streetworks ages people out at 24 but they're an excellent program and helped me get off the streets after several years of wandering. They also will help you get social security if you qualify for it, otherwise if you're up for it you can find plenty of work.

My suggestion to you is get your section 8, live here for a year and move with your section 8 voucher. The cost of living is pretty insane.

Edit: additionally, depending on how much of a trash panda you want to be, the spange in parts of the city is really good and there's a lot of dumpster food. There's a lot of spots that are blown up, like 14th Street in Manhattan. If you do come here, I'll show you my old spot as well as how to spot "dumpsters" with fresh food (quotes cuz dumpsters are actually rare, they just pile shit up on the sidewalk)

Thanks.

Nah Im late 20s so I wouldnt qualify for that I guess.

The principal for what I want is just somewhere where I can work. Live with a roof over my head (even hostels are fine, just no shelters) and save cash.

If thats possible in NYC Im down. I hear finding work is easy as well. Have any tips on finding affordable housing there I dont have to wait a whole year for? Like 200 a week?

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Thanks.

Nah Im late 20s so I wouldnt qualify for that I guess.

The principal for what I want is just somewhere where I can work. Live with a roof over my head (even hostels are fine, just no shelters) and save cash.

If thats possible in NYC Im down. I hear finding work is easy as well. Have any tips on finding affordable housing there I dont have to wait a whole year for? Like 200 a week?

You would have to find somewhere that's taking roommates if you don't get section 8. I get Social Security and section 8, I pay $205 in rent for a single room occupancy. There's other programs but like I said they're all dogshit. You could try your luck with BRC, they'll (eventually) place you in the YMCA with a roommate and work towards getting you into section 8.

You could possibly stay at a roach motel like the Richmond in Staten island, but last I remember it cost $40 a night, so that's off the table. There are hostels but I don't know anything about them.

If you do decide to sleep on the street, there are spots where the sidewalk is hot, they put most of the power lines underground, including the transformers which get hot enough to have you in a t shirt and shorts at -5F.

One of the most popular places homebums sleep is the Staten Island Ferry terminals on both sides of the boat, BRC is aware of it and they might get you off the street sooner. There's also a tennis court in Central Park somewhere that you can take a shower.

Reaction score
You would have to find somewhere that's taking roommates if you don't get section 8. I get Social Security and section 8, I pay $205 in rent for a single room occupancy. There's other programs but like I said they're all dogshit. You could try your luck with BRC, they'll (eventually) place you in the YMCA with a roommate and work towards getting you into section 8.

You could possibly stay at a roach motel like the Richmond in Staten island, but last I remember it cost $40 a night, so that's off the table. There are hostels but I don't know anything about them.

If you do decide to sleep on the street, there are spots where the sidewalk is hot, they put most of the power lines underground, including the transformers which get hot enough to have you in a t shirt and shorts at -5F.

One of the most popular places homebums sleep is the Staten Island Ferry terminals on both sides of the boat, BRC is aware of it and they might get you off the street sooner. There's also a tennis court in Central Park somewhere that you can take a shower.

So I take it it isnt many places to ”camp” per se in NYC area? Is Staten Island in general a good base? I found some places on airbnb thats like 250-300 per week which I wouldnt mind but meh. In my current situation thats the cheapest I can get besides going back West or somewhere warm so I dont have to pay much of anything. Im used to this lifestyle by this point and was working remotely while traveling Europe for like 6 months now so I dont mind going on grind mode again. I just need to replace my remote gig for now.

How exactly does the vetting process work in NYC for section 8? Im not even a NY resident. I heard you gotta wait 1 year. How do they know if youve really been on the streets that long?

What do you think of this?

Last edited:

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
So I take it it isnt many places to ”camp” per se in NYC area? Is Staten Island in general a good base? I found some places on airbnb thats like 250-300 per week which I wouldnt mind but meh. In my current situation thats the cheapest I can get besides going back West or somewhere warm so I dont have to pay much of anything. Im used to this lifestyle by this point and was working remotely while traveling Europe for like 6 months now so I dont mind going on grind mode again. I just need to replace my remote gig for now.

How exactly does the vetting process work in NYC for section 8? Im not even a NY resident. I heard you gotta wait 1 year. How do they know if youve really been on the streets that long?

What do you think of this?

You can sleep in the street pretty much wherever you want, you just can't pop a tent and if the property owner asks you to leave, you have to leave.

The way the process works is you go to a place that catalogs you being homeless, since you're over 24 you would have to go to this place on Fulton Street, I'll put it in my next reply, and go there semi consistently to have a paper trail. Once you get the voucher, you'll start interviewing for places and then you get the keys. Also, technically, legally, couch surfing is street homeless, as long as you don't have the keys to the place. You become a resident of NY state by being here for 30 days, regardless of housing status, you don't need to be a resident before you start the paper trail.

I'm away from home right now, I'll have a look at the video in a bit when I get back on WiFi

Reactions: SleeplessInSeattle

ali

Reaction score
If your plan is just to work hard and earn a lot of money relative to the living costs in the area, I would look into the extraction industry (oil, mining) or construction of roads, pipelines, windmills etc. I don't know about the US, but in Canada people working the oil sands or construction sites out the middle of nowhere can rack up a bunch of money fairly quickly. Lots of them live on the work site or camp at nearby RV parks. You will need a car, but if you're earning more than the cost of a second-hand car every week that should be doable.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Here's the drop in for older folks.

I'm just starting to watch the video but the dude is fuckin accurate about the shelters not being safe. I would rather go to Rikers Island than a shelter in this city

Reaction score
If your plan is just to work hard and earn a lot of money relative to the living costs in the area, I would look into the extraction industry (oil, mining) or construction of roads, pipelines, windmills etc. I don't know about the US, but in Canada people working the oil sands or construction sites out the middle of nowhere can rack up a bunch of money fairly quickly. Lots of them live on the work site or camp at nearby RV parks. You will need a car, but if you're earning more than the cost of a second-hand car every week that should be doable.

Okay, thanks. I think the equalvalent of that for us is like working in the fishing/boat industry in Alaska. Often harsh working conditions but they make bank I hear.

Okay, so I take it you need to consistently show up there for a year before you qualify for housing then? Interesting.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

superphoenix

Reaction score
I second staying far away from Jacksonville. Worst major city in America with all the worst parts combined - crack epidemic, boring downtown, sprawl, the hood, open carry, mosquitoes, thunderstorms - truly hell on Earth. New England winter is rough if you’re trying to camp, even NY can get tough with the cold. You can definitely find rooms for 800 in the outer boroughs but you def won’t live alone. WA/OR are easy to get benefits in if that’s your goal. New Orleans is still an inexpensive city, though may be becoming less so these days. You could def swing living on a tighter budget in Philly, which is my backup if/when I get priced out. Maybe your best bet is some smaller to mid sized city in the southeast that nobody has mentioned. It’s for you to find I guess.

WanderLost

Reaction score
I would reccomend Tucson Az. There are plenty of places on the edge of town that are shrouded with cactus and bushes and could easily pitch up a tent and camp long term. The winters are very mild and summer just ended, so now would be the perfect time to move here.

I've also considered KCK as a good place to get on my feet. There seems to be plenty of work and it seems chill ime.

Ft worth TX is another place I've had good experiences with work and living outside. The people seem to be really nice and helpful in that area, but the transit system is trash.

Reaction score
I would reccomend Tucson Az. There are plenty of places on the edge of town that are shrouded with cactus and bushes and could easily pitch up a tent and camp long term. The winters are very mild and summer just ended, so now would be the perfect time to move here.

I've also considered KCK as a good place to get on my feet. There seems to be plenty of work and it seems chill ime.

Ft worth TX is another place I've had good experiences with work and living outside. The people seem to be really nice and helpful in that area, but the transit system is trash.

Do you have to worry about bugs and scorpions in Tuscon?

WanderLost

Reaction score
Well they're here, but I wouldnt worry about them if you're in a tent. Just have a light if you take a piss at night ig. I've only seen a scorpion here once and they're pretty easy to step on cuz they just stand there tryin to look tough at you.

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score

Do be careful with this. Those underground transformers are often operating between 2,400V and 34,000V on the input side. If a fault develops, there is an extremely rare chance of the power arcing through the area you are resting over. I once read a news article of a dog that became a crispy critter walking down the sidewalk. I did a quick search and was able to pull up a similar article.

More Questions Than Answers After Rescue Dog Electrocuted On Street In Greenpoint, Brooklyn - https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/stray-voltage-kills-rescue-dog-commercial-street-greenpoint-brooklyn/

The dog did walk over a metal plate, and there were exposed wires near the plate, so if you do decide to do this, you are much better off resting over concrete or asphalt or earth than over metal.

I'd recommend vents used for heating/cooling office buildings instead, but do keep in mind that those are metallic as well.

During a fault, the current will take the path with the least overall resistive value. All you need to do is make sure that path isn't through you, and you will be alright.

If you get too close to the transformer, there is such a thing as voltage gradient, and stray electromagnetic fields could energize parts of your body. The longer the portion of your body that is exposed to the EM field, provided that your body is completing a circuit(say, both feet are touching the ground, that is a circuit), the greater the voltage gradient, and the greater the chance to go zorch. However, the farther you are away from the transformer, the weaker this EM field will be and thus the lower the voltage. The voltage will vary as a square of the distance. Closer to the transformer by half, and the EM field per unit of length increases 4 times. This is also why if you are near a downed overhead power line, it is advisable to take very short steps, keeping your feet as close together as possible, just in case it happens to still be energized.

This is also why substations are fenced off and why the maintenance crews need to wear protective suits to enter them, as an OSHA requirement.

Not trying to scare you, but do be mindful of the risks, however small.

I remember when I was 14. I was with my best friend and this black kid with stunted growth(he looked 8, but was our age, and smoked a LOT of cigarettes) named Taiwan. My friend was an asshole. We were smoking weed, out of Taiwan's pipe, near some railroad tracks and a substation. My friend decided to throw Taiwan's pipe over the fence. Taiwan risked life and limb, climbing over a razor wire fence, and jumping it, entering into the substation floorplan area, to retrieve his pipe. He climbed back over the fence, and we continued to smoke more weed. That could have gone VERY badly.

High voltage electricity is not a plaything to those who are unaware of its dangers.

Last edited:
  • Thank you
Reactions: marymemarryme

roughdraft

Reaction score
This seems like a good enough thread where I maybe shouldn't make another.

I'm curious today about any takes on what are the best cities to get around without a car .. especially in the Appalachia region .. but anywhere in the USA.

I used to live in Morgantown, WV as a student and the PRT and bus systems were okay - but Morgantown is not a city, truly, and having never lived there outside of academia life I cannot really speak on using those systems as a general 'citizen' (used student ID to access both transit systems).

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
This seems like a good enough thread where I maybe shouldn't make another.

I'm curious today about any takes on what are the best cities to get around without a car .. especially in the Appalachia region .. but anywhere in the USA.

I used to live in Morgantown, WV as a student and the PRT and bus systems were okay - but Morgantown is not a city, truly, and having never lived there outside of academia life I cannot really speak on using those systems as a general 'citizen' (used student ID to access both transit systems).

I never worked there, only stayed while traveling, but Asheville is really progressive, a good size city, lots of work opportunities, and lots of transients. Also the first time I saw needle drop boxes in bathrooms, and they were in all of them. I just checked and their minimum wage is fucking trash, but it depends on what work you’re willing to do. It also depends on how you want to live. Considering actual housing? Shit is going to be tough anywhere. I live in a place with a fuckton of work opportunities, but the cost of living is through the roof (about 2.5-3x higher than minimum wage). That’s not a problem for me because I sleep on the kitchen floor of my childhood home, but if I had to pay rent here, in Asheville, or in the boonies of bumfuck nowhere, I’d be screwed.
SC has an $11 minimum wage, but it might be tough to find work unless you’re in a city/ town where the cost of living is high.
Every other state in Appalachia seems to pay federal minimum wage which is like 7.25 while also having high costs of living.

Again, depends on your housing plans and what skills you have and how marketable you make them. Minimum wage could be 8, but if you have a decent work history and hit the right place, you could make double that.

• Thank you
Reactions: roughdraft

leaves

Reaction score

can confirm, Jax is extremely large and takes days to cross. people are extremely rude, the bums are aggro and there's fucking fentanyl everywhere. there's almost nowhere to sleep except in the parks that are already full of bums.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads