Best Breed Of Dog For Travels. | Squat the Planet

Best Breed Of Dog For Travels.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best breed of dog for travelling with, some may say its not about breed of the dog but about how they been raised.. yeah ok, but at the same time theres a difference between a Pug and a Rottweiler. What do you guys think? Including mix breed dogs.

Two breeds I think are good, there would obviously be more.. but I'm going to mention the Staffordshire Bull terrier and the Australian Kelpie. Iv spent time with both these breeds before, the English staffies iv met are friendly but also solid and tough, good family dogs or dogs that'll often like to hang out with people. Kelpies are pritty friendly too, often smart, independent they are used a bit as work dogs on farms ect..

l-terrier-frequently-asked-questions-5b45d6fa21cf5.jpg

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a breed of short-haired, medium-sized dog that was developed in Staffordshire, England and northern parts of Birmingham. Wikipedia

Life expectancy: 12 – 14 years
Origin: England
Temperament: Fearless, Reliable, Intelligent, Affectionate, Bold, Loyal, Courageous
Weight: Female: 11–15 kg, Male: 13–17 kg
Colors: Black, White, Brindle, Fawn, Black & White, Blue, Brindle & White, Fawn & White, Red & White, Red, Blue & White
Height: Female: 33–38 cm, Male: 36–41 cm

Australian-Kelpie-1.jpg

The Australian Kelpie, or simply Kelpie, is an Australian sheep dog successful at mustering and droving with little or no guidance. It is a medium-sized dog and comes in a variety of colours. The Kelpie has been exported throughout the world and is used to muster livestock, primarily sheep, cattle and goats. Wikipedia

Life span: 12–15 years
Coat: short double coat
Weight: Male: 14–21 kg, Female: 14–21 kg
Colors: Black, Fawn, Chocolate, Black & Tan, Blue, Brown
Temperament: Intelligent, Energetic, Loyal, Eager, Alert, Friendly
Height: Male: 46–51 cm, Female: 43–48 cm

croc

Reaction score
I'm lookin for a pup right now too. I'm leaning toward a pit or pit mix bc I love that they're big goofy babies and one on the smaller side would be an okay weight to lift onto and off of trains. Also, rescuing a dog that is less liked by the general public would be beneficial to them as well.
Mostly commenting bc I'm interested to see other people's replies tho.

Reactions: WyldLyfe

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I gotta say Australian Cattle Dogs, but I'm biased because I have one and they are my favorite breed. They're velcro dogs so never wander very far from your side, they're super loyal, super smart, hard to tire out, and are always investigating and watching the world around them. Plus, they look cool. I get tons of compliments from people all the time....which would work in my favor if I needed him as a panhandling prop
shadow rv.jpg

Last edited:

WyldLyfe

Banned
Reaction score
@croc in Australia Pit bulls are banned/restricted, but there still around, the ones Iv met have been alright, one was a bit hectic at times though, but its owner was a clown and the reason for that, was a red nose pit. The dog was eventually taken from him by someone else more responsible, don't know what happen with that. Someone Iv known has a Pit x Staffie and its been a good family dog for them.

"While pit bull terriers have been banned from importation into Australia for over 15 years, there is a remnant population built up from dogs imported before the ban. There are also many cross-breed dogs that have many similarities to a pit bull terrier, but cross-breed dogs will not be declared a restricted breed dog." - From Google.

1484838999-pit-bull-terrier-breed-696x363.jpg

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a purebred dog breed recognized by the United Kennel Club and American Dog Breeders Association, and with the American Kennel Club under the name American Staffordshire Terrier. Wikipedia

Lifespan: 8 – 15 years
Temperament: Clownish, Stubborn, Intelligent, Affectionate, Obedient, Loyal, Strong Willed, Friendly, Courageous
Mass: Male: 16 – 30 kg (Large Adult), Female: 14 – 27 kg (Large Adult)
Colors: Black, White, Brindle, Fawn, Tan, Blue, Grey, Brown, Red
Origin: United States, United Kingdom
Height: Male: 45 – 53 cm, Female: 43 – 50 cm

@iamwhatiam cool to see someone else mention those type of dogs, was gonna say that dog you posted looks more like a Blue Heeler but Australian Cattle Dog is apparently the correct name for them. There kinda similar to the Kelpie, Thanks for sharing, folks.

tumblr_ntgcq8vTqi1rszs7eo1_1280.jpg

The Australian Cattle Dog, or simply Cattle Dog, is a breed of herding dog originally developed in Australia for droving cattle over long distances across rough terrain. This breed is a medium-sized, short-coated dog that occurs in two main colour forms. Wikipedia

Life expectancy: 13 – 15 years
Origin: Australia
Temperament: Cautious, Obedient, Energetic, Loyal, Protective, Brave
Weight: Male: 15–16 kg, Female: 14–16 kg
Height: Male: 46–51 cm, Female: 43–48 cm
Colors: Blue, Red

Last edited:

Spazz

Reaction score
Pitties/Staffies are definitely the best if you don't have to worry about breed bans, but I wound up with a mix from the other most-likely-to-be-euthanized breed at the shelter.

I've had her for a year now and I really like her.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not really sure why people are saying pits are the best breed for traveling specifically. I could offer many obvious points to the counter arguement.

-short hair (gets cold)
-large
-breed restrictions
-many people are scared of/have opinions against them

I'm not trying to diss pits (although I have been attached by three) I'm just curious as to why they would make the best travel dog.

I'm going to jump on the cattle dog/border collie train. Some pros:

-smart as fuck
-medium sized
-enough natural fur to withstand cold
-very friendly
-VERY loyal/one person dogs
-can be trained to carry gear easily
-Usually a long life span

The only cons I can see a few cons to those breeds:

-Too smart for their own good/disobedient if not trained correctly
-Nipping/chasing issues with kids and small animals/wildlife (if not trained correctly)
-they NEED to be excercised/ran. No keeping those fuckers on trains/apartments for long periods of time
-Barking issues if not trained correctly

These breeds are incredible, loyal, smart travel partners, and when I get my pup, those will be the breeds I'll be looking at.

WyldLyfe

Banned
Reaction score
@Coywolf I suggested Staffies not pit-bulls, there is a difference, because they are tough and friendly, yeah they have short hair, you can put a dog jacket on them if needed, dogs spend a bit a time outside though anyway normally, staffies are not really large in height they are more solid, the cattle dogs are probably a bit taller, there not restricted like the pits and iv not known people to be afraid of them, maybe someone out there is though.

Another dog Im gonna mention, just because its cool and not many know about it.. good for colder climates too, more of a nomadic tribes people dog though.

1576143652515.png

The Tibetan Mastiff is a large Tibetan dog breed belonging to the mastiff family. Originating with the nomadic cultures of Tibet, China, Mongolia, India and Nepal, it is used by local tribes of Tibetans to protect sheep from wolves, leopards, bears, large mustelids, and tigers. Wikipedia

Life expectancy: 12 – 15 years
Weight: Male: 45–73 kg, Female: 34–54 kg
Height: Male: 66–76 cm, Female: 61–71 cm
Temperament: Stubborn, Tenacious, Aloof, Intelligent, Strong Willed, Protective
Colors: Black, Black & Tan, Brown, Red Gold, Blue Gray, Brown & Tan
Origin: Tibet, Nepal, Himalayas

WyldLyfe

Banned
Reaction score
Bull-terrier.jpg

The Bull Terrier is a breed of dog in the terrier family. There is also a miniature version of this breed which is officially known as the Miniature Bull Terrier. Wikipedia

Life expectancy: 10 – 14 years
Mass: Male: 22 – 38 kg
Height: Male: 45 – 55 cm
Origin: England
Temperament: Keen, Active, Sweet-Tempered, Protective, Trainable
Colors: White, Tri-color, Fawn & White, Brindle & White, Red & White, White & Black Brindle

SneakyWeasel

Reaction score
While I love Pitties, there's a lot of BS out there about them and that can bite you in the ass. I basically prefer shorter furred dogs since they're easier to keep clean and free of external parasites (ticks n fleas). Medium sized, up to around 60'ish lbs is the sweet spot for me. I also prefer mixed breed SPCA/rescue mutts in order to avoid recessives due to inbreeding.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads