Bay Area to San Diego. Tips? | Squat the Planet

Bay Area to San Diego. Tips?

Railfan David

Reaction score
So, I've been pretty lazy and stuck around the Bay longer than I intended, but I've gotta bounce. Probably taking off tomorrow. Any tips? Places I should stop by? Places to avoid? Easiest way to GTFO of LA if I get dropped there?

I don't really need any advice on getting out of the Bay (I'm bitching out and taking mass transit to Santa Cruz), but I'm not sure beyond that. I was thinking of taking the 1 most of the way, but if there's a better way I'm open to advice.

AAAutin

Reaction score
Yeah, the 1 is a gorgeous route. (And now that the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge has been rebuilt, it's feasible again!)

As for the L.A. to S.D. portion, I walked the majority of it—via the beaches, 'natch—only having to hitch the bit between San Clemente and Oceanside, because of Camp Pendleton. (And it took fewer than 15 minutes to get picked up on the 5.)

Aleus

Reaction score
Made it from Oakland to la in 5 days hitching and walking the tracks out of Santa Cruz after a panhandling ticket. Stick to the 1. You'll get picked up fast, have a clearly written sign and be friendly. Pick a camp spot before dark and keep an eye out for beaches with no camping, ppl do check at night.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads