August 24 Graceda Park, Modesto CA National Straight Pride Counterprotest | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

August 24 Graceda Park, Modesto CA National Straight Pride Counterprotest

void gaze

Reaction score
Also it’s no coincidence that ‘straight pride’ parallels ‘white pride’. Pretending that groups who already have the upper hand are actually oppressed is a gesture of projection which leads very quickly to violence against marginalized groups. ‘Free speech’, even if it were at issue here, does not happen in a vacuum it also doesn’t mean freedom from ppl telling you to shut up and fuck off I’m not even an activist or antifa myself but I’m glad that someone is standing in their way...can you imagine what would have happened in Charlottesville if 1000s weren’t there against them? the u.s. state is becoming more and more fascist and relying on people like this to stop opposition and terrorize marginalized groups.

Jerrell

Reaction score
Damn, I got drunk again and remembered I had something to say and now it's lost in that cloud in my head again.

There was something about how Sociology 101 teaches that all humans seek Wealth, Power, and/or Privilege....and how it's probably less than that, that we're all just wanting to feel special on some level.

Then something about white Americans having no true "where I come from" ancestry type thing going on...like there's no deep feeling of home, just what we/they know from western history and westerns (as in movies, all movies).

Damn. I had it in my head and then my music stopped playing and I lost the thought again.

roughdraft

Reaction score
Also it’s no coincidence that ‘straight pride’ parallels ‘white pride’. Pretending that groups who already have the upper hand are actually oppressed is a gesture of projection which leads very quickly to violence against marginalized groups.

basically straight white male here, this idea hadn't really clicked for me the way different associates explained it, but this flipped a switch for me. Keep on speakin this way, thanks for this

Reactions: void gaze

roughdraft

Reaction score
There was something about how Sociology 101 teaches that all humans seek Wealth, Power, and/or Privilege....and how it's probably less than that, that we're all just wanting to feel special on some level.

Then something about white Americans having no true "where I come from" ancestry type thing going on...like there's no deep feeling of home, just what we/they know from western history and westerns (as in movies, all movies).

only to add to some of this and hopefully keep the discussion going, I heard sort of the same, but it was more What do people need to be happy? 1 Health, 2 Money and...not sure what the other was but lets go with something like 3 Purpose, up to like, community, stuff to do that builds confidence - that's practically power and privelege, right? Anyway yeah, the above 3 altogether equal better happiness than 1 or 2 out of the 3, I would figure.

I think it's the same for a lot of people in the US especially but in many parts of the world...this issue of lack of background identity, and identifying with cheap and doctored propaganda in movies and so on, even just fuckin blindly worshipping "western" ideals and materialism, god damn it sucks - regardless of ethnicity - but this is not the case for absolutely everyone...

but for the many who it does, maybe this lack of identity provokes anger, or some lost feeling in a lot of people, but i think the biggest fear is loss. My point is that some people have tighter community and stronger individual purpose regardless of their at-large oppression, and THAT really matters too.

im sure its ignorant and insensitive to suggest that many white folks, including straight white folks (assuming the cause of their anguish is not that theyre all pent up because they cant get out of the closet, you know, homophpbia, transphobia, projection)... are having a very bad time because theyve got almost nothing in one or more of the 3 aforementioned "categories for happiness" and probably the less you have...not wealth or even health, but the third factor above, a type of confidence, belonging to yourself and the world around you, is something "at stake" in a visceral, primate way, and the less firm it is. the more you might be inclined to fight or go insane, for fear of losing the little you (perceive to) have.

the people running this rally, im not with them, just recognizing its not because theyre white, or straight.. its because theyre fuckin dumb.

the common thread is fear. just people who feel they are hurting, and yes a lack of empathy or intelligence makes folks better off not recognize that they aren't actively repressed in a uniform way but unfortunately it isn't that simple. plenty of straight and/or white people get targeted and at the end of the day - stripped of autonomy - for different reasons, you know, disabilities, quirks, addictions, etc. and that all is not irrelevant either, though i get it, in more uniformly repressed demographics in the "straight white male" dominant society, these issues are also relevant and for many people they compound, more rapidly, and its one thing that fills me with fuckin anguish for personal and nonpersonal reasons....one, i am actually close, and in some cases very, very close - as in some of my closest people, where saying friend or even family i feel cheapens the love i have for them - to some LGBT and "not white" people. Two, its a reflection of even broader and deeper issues we have goin on in the world. Ignorance, denial, suicidial tendencies.

im not justifying anything, its all fucked. im only trying to point out even more variables in the equation here. I'M tryin to understand everything here better too, im not selling anything or "running for office" - so maybe you want to hit me back in a PM or in here, if we all agree its on topic and i think so - because as said ITT, it isnt something to be on the fence about.

this wasnt super well written, i just had a waking nightmare, and this is one way i can get back to sleep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13433

Interesting discussion, with [surprise] no follow up so I figured I'd do some quick research just to see how things went, and this was the first thing I found: "Straight Pride" rally in California draws 20 attendees, 200 counter-protestors - https://www.newsweek.com/straight-pride-modesto-1456352
So, basically like 20 knuckleheads showed up to do the Rally, while 200 individuals showed up to protest.

I wonder how it would have went if nobody showed up, if it was just those clowns doing the rally and no audience, no protest, would they even have a rally if there was no one there ??
We used to get some white power rallys out in Wallingford say 25 years ago, but I never bothered going to those rally's as I did not want to get my head kicked in.
I recently on the weapon of choice thread here mused about something Steve Ignorant said in the early 1980s, how freedom ain't worth it if violence it the price one pays, and there is some truth to it.

Do I want to live in a society where I am told how I am to live, etc ??
No way.... but I don't want the wild west either.

Just now, coming back home I heard the sound of bottles being tossed about, and I looked at my dog and quietly motioned for her to think about going inside, which she did.
My next thought was what weapon to prepare, but thankfully nothing further happened.

These rallys are to me designed to incite violence though their message of hate.

Divide and Conquer.

*And the more violence the better !!
**And the better it is, the more our so called President blames the Left for inciting it, labeling the Left as terrorists, talk about a no win situation !!

We saw that a lot last year, and even worse how they seem to get away with it.

Does not help that our supposed President endorses these random acts of violence, until someone tells him to change his tune on Twitter..... which he then promptly does on cue.

I don't know what the answer is here, in fact even on this post I have "agreed/liked" checked on comments which contradict one another because I can see both sides to the argument.

I do know if these people did such a protest in my neighborhood, I'd be out front sitting on my property with a rifle on my lap just in case things got out of hand and I felt threatened.....

Again, I hate to think like that - I'm actually a Peace Punk from the early 1980s, but at the same time I don't want - or need - any trouble coming my way, and if trouble does come I need to be able to defend myself by any means necessary.

But I can fully appreciate those who are willing to take a stand for what's right here.

Anarchy Peace LOVE Freedom xoxoxo
Big George + Loki the Dog

void gaze

Reaction score
I wonder how it would have went if nobody showed up, if it was just those clowns doing the rally and no audience, no protest, would they even have a rally if there was no one there ??

They probably would have roamed the area terrorizing and beating up queer people (and people of color, homeless people etc etc) as has happened in the vicinity of other fascist rallies. They aren’t like left wing peacenik activists who literally just want to perform, as you said, for an “audience.”

D

Deleted member 13433

Actually, that might have come out wrong - the left wing people I know recognize that today you need firearms, and years ago... yes it was more about getting the message out, but there was always a good audience to hear, in NYC anyway....

But I can see your point with what you are saying about if the Straight Pride Rally, if no one showed up then I could see them taking out their frustrations on the first poor sod they seen, or start busting up store fronts..... either way, a no win situation.............

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads