August 24 Graceda Park, Modesto CA National Straight Pride Counterprotest (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

void gaze

Lurker
Current Location
Massachusetts
Also it’s no coincidence that ‘straight pride’ parallels ‘white pride’. Pretending that groups who already have the upper hand are actually oppressed is a gesture of projection which leads very quickly to violence against marginalized groups. ‘Free speech’, even if it were at issue here, does not happen in a vacuum it also doesn’t mean freedom from ppl telling you to shut up and fuck off I’m not even an activist or antifa myself but I’m glad that someone is standing in their way...can you imagine what would have happened in Charlottesville if 1000s weren’t there against them? the u.s. state is becoming more and more fascist and relying on people like this to stop opposition and terrorize marginalized groups.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
@large
Also it’s no coincidence that ‘straight pride’ parallels ‘white pride’. Pretending that groups who already have the upper hand are actually oppressed is a gesture of projection which leads very quickly to violence against marginalized groups. ‘Free speech’, even if it were at issue here, does not happen in a vacuum it also doesn’t mean freedom from ppl telling you to shut up and fuck off I’m not even an activist or antifa myself but I’m glad that someone is standing in their way...can you imagine what would have happened in Charlottesville if 1000s weren’t there against them? the u.s. state is becoming more and more fascist and relying on people like this to stop opposition and terrorize marginalized groups.
I think it's virtue signaling for toxic masculinity with white supremacist overtones. We need to develop a guerilla drone Air Force to shit-bomb these idiots and not shed any blood.

Or just have a massive drone drown out of their forum.

I don't believe these are people open to a better understanding. In other words, no converting or winning over or persuading

Jerrell

Rambler
Current Location
Western IA
Website
jerrellofearth.wordpress.com
Damn, I got drunk again and remembered I had something to say and now it's lost in that cloud in my head again.

There was something about how Sociology 101 teaches that all humans seek Wealth, Power, and/or Privilege....and how it's probably less than that, that we're all just wanting to feel special on some level.

Then something about white Americans having no true "where I come from" ancestry type thing going on...like there's no deep feeling of home, just what we/they know from western history and westerns (as in movies, all movies).

Damn. I had it in my head and then my music stopped playing and I lost the thought again.

roughdraft

ain´t nobody cool
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
traveling
Also it’s no coincidence that ‘straight pride’ parallels ‘white pride’. Pretending that groups who already have the upper hand are actually oppressed is a gesture of projection which leads very quickly to violence against marginalized groups.
basically straight white male here, this idea hadn't really clicked for me the way different associates explained it, but this flipped a switch for me. Keep on speakin this way, thanks for this

roughdraft

ain´t nobody cool
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
traveling
There was something about how Sociology 101 teaches that all humans seek Wealth, Power, and/or Privilege....and how it's probably less than that, that we're all just wanting to feel special on some level.

Then something about white Americans having no true "where I come from" ancestry type thing going on...like there's no deep feeling of home, just what we/they know from western history and westerns (as in movies, all movies).
only to add to some of this and hopefully keep the discussion going, I heard sort of the same, but it was more What do people need to be happy? 1 Health, 2 Money and...not sure what the other was but lets go with something like 3 Purpose, up to like, community, stuff to do that builds confidence - that's practically power and privelege, right? Anyway yeah, the above 3 altogether equal better happiness than 1 or 2 out of the 3, I would figure.

I think it's the same for a lot of people in the US especially but in many parts of the world...this issue of lack of background identity, and identifying with cheap and doctored propaganda in movies and so on, even just fuckin blindly worshipping "western" ideals and materialism, god damn it sucks - regardless of ethnicity - but this is not the case for absolutely everyone...

but for the many who it does, maybe this lack of identity provokes anger, or some lost feeling in a lot of people, but i think the biggest fear is loss. My point is that some people have tighter community and stronger individual purpose regardless of their at-large oppression, and THAT really matters too.

im sure its ignorant and insensitive to suggest that many white folks, including straight white folks (assuming the cause of their anguish is not that theyre all pent up because they cant get out of the closet, you know, homophpbia, transphobia, projection)... are having a very bad time because theyve got almost nothing in one or more of the 3 aforementioned "categories for happiness" and probably the less you have...not wealth or even health, but the third factor above, a type of confidence, belonging to yourself and the world around you, is something "at stake" in a visceral, primate way, and the less firm it is. the more you might be inclined to fight or go insane, for fear of losing the little you (perceive to) have.

the people running this rally, im not with them, just recognizing its not because theyre white, or straight.. its because theyre fuckin dumb.

the common thread is fear. just people who feel they are hurting, and yes a lack of empathy or intelligence makes folks better off not recognize that they aren't actively repressed in a uniform way but unfortunately it isn't that simple. plenty of straight and/or white people get targeted and at the end of the day - stripped of autonomy - for different reasons, you know, disabilities, quirks, addictions, etc. and that all is not irrelevant either, though i get it, in more uniformly repressed demographics in the "straight white male" dominant society, these issues are also relevant and for many people they compound, more rapidly, and its one thing that fills me with fuckin anguish for personal and nonpersonal reasons....one, i am actually close, and in some cases very, very close - as in some of my closest people, where saying friend or even family i feel cheapens the love i have for them - to some LGBT and "not white" people. Two, its a reflection of even broader and deeper issues we have goin on in the world. Ignorance, denial, suicidial tendencies.

im not justifying anything, its all fucked. im only trying to point out even more variables in the equation here. I'M tryin to understand everything here better too, im not selling anything or "running for office" - so maybe you want to hit me back in a PM or in here, if we all agree its on topic and i think so - because as said ITT, it isnt something to be on the fence about.

this wasnt super well written, i just had a waking nightmare, and this is one way i can get back to sleep.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Preacher wrote on Wolfs Paw's profile.
::drinkingbuddy::
Im securing a squat tonight that should be a good long term squat. Also im playing a show tonight.
Just go to Barcelona and got lost on my way to my hostel. I walked into a corner store and asked for directions, and a guy who didn’t speak any English or know anything about me pointed to where i need to go and gave me a sticker that said “Everyone hates the police!”. I’m definitely in the right place😄!
Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!